2017 FMOA Rides To Remember | FerrariChat

2017 FMOA Rides To Remember

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by kaamacat, Apr 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    To all.... Just thought about this years event (no email yet), but, went ahead and registered out at the website.

The format looks a bit different, I am guessing due to the construction going on at FMOA. Take a look though and sign up peoples!

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  3. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Mille Grazie Gentlemen!! I do use that term loooosely. :D

Registration is a go. See you all in June, if not before.

Ciao,
    George

4. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    and I appreciate your support for the kids. Due to the project at the store, we are diverting registration to the Dawsonville Racing Hall of Fame building. It's a new twist and I think will be a fun addition to the day.
    As has always been the case, the folks at Atlanta Motorsports Park are supporting the kids with their awesome facility. We are very fortunate to be part of the AMP family and couldn't do this event without their support.
    June 10th is the date and we hope to see everyone there!

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Sounds like a great time as always!! Thanks for putting it together!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's a fun place. They even have a moonshine distillery that offers tours.

7. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    So bummed I will miss this event this year, we will be on the Amalfi Coast. Have fun.

8. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    Looking forward to another Rides, gets better every year! Worth the tremendous effort by all who give time and support, always for the kids.

9. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Andy, all Amalfi Coast diversions are acceptable. Have a great trip!

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My car's being serviced, so I won't be driving, but I am volunteering. Saturday's weather should be great - hope to see a lot of you there!

11. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Our numbers this year have surpassed any year in Rides history. 178 kids are registered this year! I am so excited to participate with a great team determined to provide a carefree day for these children. Thanks to everyone for your help and enthusiastic support of Rides. See you at AMP!

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Great job Will! :)

13. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    It's not successful without people like you who come out and support the kids. I will never forget seeing Ted there two years ago immediately following a rough Chemo round. Guy was as tough as they come.

14. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This was my first Rides to Remember and will certainly not be my last. Amazing! Just a blast from start to finish. Impeccably organized, awesome kids, and outgoing and friendly drivers. Made it out on the track 5 times with the kids. And I got to hear my new (to me) car sing above 8,000 rpm.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #15 Gatorrari, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Even though I was without car, I still had a blast as a volunteer, though I was so busy parking and re-parking cars that I didn't have too many chances to take photos, and no photos of the cars on the track. Here are a few from the morning.

It was interesting to see that some cars were in constant demand, while others were almost totally ignored. As you can imagine, the Lamborghinis and the Lotuses were popular, as was the Fiat, and the open Ferraris were busier than the closed cars. Even the Rolls-Royce went out a few times, probably picked by kids who envisioned themselves as future Donald Trumps!

Where you were located made a difference. The Cobra Daytona and Malibu SS were largely ignored until we suggested that they move up to vacant spaces closer to the clubhouse - and then their business picked up dramatically!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #16 Gatorrari, Jun 11, 2017
    My favorite license plate - haven't you ever heard some little kid call your car a "Fawawi"? (Or, perhaps, Elmer Fudd?)

And the busiest man on the premises. Even though the Ariel Atom was one of the last cars to arrive, I told the driver that he would spend more time on track than in the parking lot, and it was true: just about every time he came back from a ride, another kid would be waiting for him!

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #17 Gatorrari, Jun 11, 2017
    Some more cars, including one group waiting to go out on track.

The fellow with the Viper ACR was a member who had just bought the car and had arrived at the track not being aware of our event. But he got in the spirit of the event, registered, and took a number of kids out, though, again, not until he had moved his car to a more prominent parking space.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #18 Gatorrari, Jun 11, 2017
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #19 Gatorrari, Jun 11, 2017
    Hadn't seen Allan Shuster in a long time; this is his latest ride, another Viper ACR. After lunch upstairs, I headed into the adjacent FoA garage and watched Montreal qualifying. Then I headed home to tend to a defective tire on my Civic. (Yes, the car made it all the way without the tire blowing.)

20. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thank you Will Campbell of FoA and Jeff Beal of AMP [filling in for Jeremy] for an outstanding event. As always everything ran like clock work and was great fun.

The drivers gift bag was fantastic, surpassing all expectations - Thank You -Thank You!

I was glad to have met up with Tom S. whom I had not see for several years and of course Jim P. our master of photographic documentation. I did look for more FChatters, but was not able to spot them. May have been because they were in disguise. ;)

I'll be looking forward to next years event.

Ciao,
    George

21. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    We had a great day with everyone supporting the kids. Thanks for making this years Rides our biggest ever. See you again in June, 2018!

22. fedgery77

fedgery77 Karting

Apr 18, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I want to be one of these kids! Such amazing cars!

23. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    The children who are survivors have in many cases been through decimating chemo therapy, radiation, operations, as well as a potentially long and difficult recovery time. The children who are in remission face a future of uncertainty. The children who are in treatment in some cases are hanging on by a thread just to be there for R2R. The families of these children have been devastated/scarred on the inside even though you may see them as all smiles.

As much as I enjoy being a driver, it many times saddens me to think that some of these cancer children I have driven for might not be alive in the following year.

Yes, the cars are awesome, the event is awesome, but trust me you would not want to be one of these kids.

Just Sayin!

Ciao,
    George

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The kid who rode with me the first time this event was held (when we drove them from FoA to Turner Field) had passed away by the time the second event was held.

'Nuf said.....