Dog sudden passing | FerrariChat

Dog sudden passing

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Alcav5, Jan 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    #1 Alcav5, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My pal, friend, companion, medicine, "go to" support, passed away suddenly at 8 yrs old...
    We were at vet for annual check up and shots, no big deal. He was super chipper and healthy. Attending doctor checked over his body, listened to heart, breathing, gave him a shot and nose drops. They took him in the back to draw blood. the doctor came in 10 minutes later to tell me he passed, that his heart stopped and they tried to revive him. I am a mess.
    We are thinking he had a reaction to the shot. There was nothing wrong with him. They will do an autopsy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry to hear that. That's awful. :(

3. Randy P.

Randy P. Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Randy P.
    Really sorry to hear that. :( RIP to your companion.

I'd be devastated if anything happened one of to my 2 dogs.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    wow that's terrible. I'm so sorry.

5. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Heartbreaking.

Very sorry for your loss.

6. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    So sorry, that's tough, my condolences. We lost our family pet suddenly last year in a similar situation to yours...I can relate.

7. Backyard Buddy

Backyard Buddy Karting

Mar 8, 2015
    So sorry to hear this. We lost our pet very suddenly in December. It's very hard to process, that's for sure. I just didn't see it coming. It sucks!! I feel for you.

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    So sorry. Sad that it happened so suddenly.

We just lost one of our two dogs last week.
    Very tough on us.
    She had a cardiac condition for the past year with significant heart valve problems.
    We knew our time was limited with her.
    She was on special medicine twice a day.
    It was still a shock the morning she just laid down and died.

It is so easy to get completely attached to a dog as a pet.

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry for your loss. I am dreading the day I have to part with my faithful beagle. Sure hope there is a doggie heaven for these special creatures.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow, so very sorry for your loss. I would look into suing them.

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

oh no very sad....sorry to hear

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Very sorry for your loss. I would be so angry at the vet (even if it might not be his fault).

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    We are pretty upset with the vet. They are a decent size office, several doctors, full facility modern, etc. They serve a lot of people in our area. I had used them for my first dog who also passed while in their care, but for him we knew he was sick and he was at that age for a Shepard. This was just so not right. The attending doctor was not one of the "old timers", she just had 3 years under her belt, not that I would think that that makes a difference when you're in for just a check up and vaccines.
    She / they poorly attended to me after she told me he passed. I was alone and I really didn't get any comfort or sympathy. She was a bit as a matter of fact. I called for the head doctor, who I had gone to for over 18 years and he could not explain to me what happened. They did not ask me if I needed help in getting home since I was alone, they did not offer to call anyone for me. Really? ! Whatever. The head doctor told me that they would do an autopsy on their dime that's it. But at home we had to wonder what would they tell us? They could tell us anything. What standards are they held to who really would they be accountable to, are they obligated to inform the health department?. They could more or less tell me anything short of them screwing up a simple check up. Apprehensive we were last night, didn't even think they would call. But they did , I had my wife take the call just to find out that they found nothing remarkable. Heart, liver, lungs, organs where all normal. wtf...
    Blood toxicology, to take a little longer. Upon hearing this from the doctor my wife was livid to hear the vet offer no other reason except "these things although uncommon do happen". My wife freaked out and let loose on the stone cold vet. I had so much regard for that office even after my first pet's passing under their care. Now I am questioning their commitment and ability to care. I have to wonder if when they/ the principle owner sold out to a chain of pet care provider that expedience became precedence over care and humanity.
    I'm no medical person, and I do not proclaim faith in google searches or wikipedia but it is not difficult to find several sites discuss the contraindications of vaccines relative to allergic reactions especially prevalent with vaccines. Not less than several sites expressed the necessity to be watchful and vigilant when administrating these drugs (Isn't that why we as humans are concerned over vaccines for our children) . There are signs an animal is having a reaction. These reactions are know to be fatal if not treated correctly and quickly. They say immediate reversal of the antigens is paramount as well as the use of an epinephrine. So I guess I had to figure it out on my own, why could they not explain this to me? Is it because they didn't even know because had they they would have saved him?
    My head is spinning, he was here just yesterday morning. They didn't administer care quickly enough. The responsible persons were not on deck or perhaps they were not qualified.
    I am distraught because right now he would be by my side nudging me to pet him and being so in my face that I would say stop annoying me, with love of course. :)
    God how I want him to annoy me now,,, I am so sorry to my pal that I let him down that I was not there for him because he was always there for me...

Thanks all for the sympathy, I needed to vent

14. FerrariTon

FerrariTon Rookie

Aug 16, 2016
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Known as Ferrari Ton
    I am so sorry for your loss!

15. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    OMG thats horrible I am so sorry for your loss. Sorry to say that, thay did something wrong . I would sue the F out of them. Thats coming from person who donated and and spent on pet care/research six figures...

16. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    terrible and i agree some reaction seems to have occoured.

17. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Pets in NY are considered personal property. Value is based upon market value. I discussed angles my attorney. If I was lucky to recoup what I spent to get the guy 8 yrs ago ($2000) that would be it best case. Not worth it, they were a good Vet, I just think they could have handled that day differently. They would argue there was something latent going on. I'm over it, I have a new pal, new Vet.

I am a pet lover.

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    An independent party should have performed the autopsy. It's not worth the heartache, effort, and expense to sue, especially now that they "found nothing wrong" (why am I not surprised).

Cherish the good memories and you will heal with time and the new pet. So sorry for your loss.

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Good to hear, have had bad experiences with vets over the years and moved on until I felt a connection with my current vet who takes care of older dogs with issues owners can't afford to treat. A true pet lover.