Daily random pictures you have taken... | Page 436 | FerrariChat

Daily random pictures you have taken...

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by triXXXter, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The Black Sails opening yes.I was hoping they would upgrade it a bit more this season as Game of Thrones has.

2. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #10877 Archer911, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  4. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very cool pics!

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10880 Devilsolsi, Apr 17, 2017
  6. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #10881 Archer911, Apr 22, 2017
  7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #10882 Archer911, Apr 22, 2017
    Il Cavalieri likes this.
  8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #10883 Crawler, Apr 22, 2017
  9. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    My backyard.

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #10885 Crawler, Apr 25, 2017
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10886 Devilsolsi, May 3, 2017
  12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #10887 TestShoot, May 3, 2017
    71Satisfaction and Il Cavalieri like this.
  13. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10888 alexm, May 4, 2017
    Il Cavalieri likes this.
  14. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    These panos are fantastic!!!!!!

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The lighting and depth of field on the Super ornament is fantastic. I also like the composition of the bakery photo.

TestShoot likes this.
  16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    thx, the g16 has a pretty fast aperture so the dof gets blown out nicely. the bakery was taken on the move from the passenger side of the car.

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    dude, those are gorgeous! i'm seeing a girl from north of sydney, she wants to make those her desktop wallpaper :p

18. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks!

Thanks!

Glad she likes.. she's welcome to higher res version for her personal desktop use.

Original panos were 100-200Mb each so I've selected and cut back to more reasonable size 20-60mb versions at my download page.

Enjoy!

http://www.roving-eye.com/download/SydneyHarbourPano_May2017.zip

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #10894 TestShoot, May 16, 2017
  20. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The image quality is exemplary.

TestShoot likes this.
  21. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    hey Alex will you be in Syd for Vivid - love to see what you'd come up with from that!

22. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wasn't going to be.. but I see with nice weather persisting I might arrange a day-out logistics to include it..

Perhaps an early Sunday morning drive in for some plane spotting.. then kick around for the day, could go to Manly for example.. then back into The Rocks and stay back for the lights which run 6-11pm.

Let's see what happens!

23. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #10898 Lesia44, Jun 3, 2017
  24. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10899 alexm, Jul 23, 2017
    My first edits.. ever.

I've been pondering the use of Lightroom/Photoshop for a while and got them last year and only now got around to using to help get past camera sensor limitations in pursuit of a better end result.

I've been reluctant to venture here as (a) been lazy before and would just fire a bracketed sequence, pick the one I like the most/closest and post up.. and (b) wondered if this would philosophically tip me into an area where it's not "real" and all of that.

Then I also realise pretty much everything to date 100% in-camera isn't too "real" either since you are subject to sensor limits, you're overriding with exposure compensation to suit your feel for what the scene "should" look like and also throwing such as Polarising filters in front to vary the blue of the sky, punch up the contrast between sky and anaemic clouds, playing with water reflection to see beneath and so forth..

So who have I been kidding in relentlessly staying in-camera and that is being "real"..

Many times I find the sensor is limiting since it can not (and will ever?) handle the great range of light intensity the human eye can.. other times I find it amazing since it can pick up colour in low light that the eye can never do.. and sometimes with really interesting and pleasing results!

When I look at what top end photographers are producing, and admire it very much and want some of that if I can, then there is no choice.. I have to get into post processing.

I realise it can be overused.. and have seen results, especially with HDR (High Dynamic Range), that it can be incredibly unrealistic and can be made into a surrealist painting.. but if that is the goal of the photographer in that instance then that's great.. but I want to avoid going that way.

So I've set my philosophy to just bring back missing parts of the image so it's a pleasing whole.. nothing more complicated (and time consuming!) than that..

So here are a couple of results from my first couple of days of playing with different images and exploring various tools.. (tons of tutorials on youtube to get up to speed).

The waterfall is literally my very first edit.. and done in the first hour of ever using.. I didn't want to spend a ton of time in editing so I can see in the future I could probably reduce this to minutes for similar images with similar issues.

With the waterfall scene it was a grey overcast sky, no shadows, but with the sky still being very "bright" in terms of light value with very dark rock and water occupying front and centre.

In my original series, taken before contemplating editing, I had created a set of bracketed images.. going from over to under exposed.. and with probably one I would have accepted overall as being ok to post up as-is. I would have picked keeping the foreground, most of the waterfall backdrop but would have lost most of the trees against the light sky.

With the bracketing done this was ideal fodder for putting into Lightroom Photo|Merge|HDR and with a little toning down in overall exposure and some selective underexposure at the top to regain the trees against the skyline, the green in the foliage, I came up with this result.. and feel its very close to being "real" and pleased with the outcome. Again it's selective exposure only.. no other colour or other manipulations.. just like I want to do.

Ditto the abandoned farmhouse, except this time it was with a deep verandah and deep in shadow against a full sun on the front palings.. again an impossible range to capture in a single shot with any current sensor.

This edit here was again I had taken a series, so into HDR, tone down overall result, and punch up the area under the verandah to regain the detail that is there.. while still leaving the slight darker shadow that you would expect to see as-is with your own eyes.. all the while keeping the front palings as well.

I'm sure it will take time to learn the art in making it subtle and realistic but I'm very pleased with my initial efforts in 2 situations that would have normally defeated the pure in-camera approach used to-date.

I'm also developing a few online channels such as https://www.instagram.com/rovingeyedotcom/ to selectively post things.. most are as-is from the camera.. but some will be edited on an as-needed basis with my new found addition to the toolkit!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Cavalieri and 71Satisfaction like this.
  25. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009