New York International Auto Show | FerrariChat

New York International Auto Show

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by paversano, Apr 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paversano

paversano Rookie

Mar 23, 2017
    Anyone know why Ferrari does not participate in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have been to media day for years now and am summarizing a number of opinions and perspectives here: first of all, I have heard that the Javits Center is expensive and difficult to do business with. Secondly, high-end automakers prefer private events (including Lamborghini's private event that occurs just blocks from the Javits Center), such as parties, marque-specific events and track days, etc. to unveil their new cars to clients. Thirdly, the NY Auto Show has become a consumer show to sell mass production cars. Ferrari has not had a presence at the NYIAS since I have attended as a kid and it is highly unlikely that they will return, despite their North American HQ being just across the Hudson.

The NY Auto Show, in my opinion, has been in decline recently as well. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc. never show up (The Lambo or two that is displayed are provided by Manhattan Motorcars) and this year, Aston, McLaren, Bentley and Rolls were noticeably absent.

I'm sure Ferrari's accountants agree that it is far more cost effective to host a private viewing of each new car with 500 loyal customers than spend $200,000 on a display for a million people off the street to view for ten days.

3. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Anyone remember the auto show when it was at the NY Coliseum at Columbus Circle, now the site of the Time Warner complex? All sorts of cars showed up there.

4. GreatNeckLawyer

May 10, 2008
    For me, the Auto Show at the Coliseum was "the scene of the crime" where I made first contact with exotics and other cars that you just didnt see on the street, and couldnt comprehend in real life. I remember being shocked by how small a Ferrari was when I saw it for the fist time in the mid 70's, as I lived in a world of Buick Electra 225s and Chevy Caprices.

That show was so good that I would even come home from College with a few of my Car Guy Friends, just to check it out.

The Javits Center show does not hold a candle to it in terms of exotics or other non-mass market cars. Its a shame, how are we creating the next generation of cars guys if the most interesting thing at Javits, that is available to touch and feel (and not surrounded by velvet ropes) is an Alfa Gulia?

--- ANDY

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

8th Bday in '66 Dad took me there. Came back with a sack of freebies and a love for everything with 4 wheels.

That place was great for a car show, every next higher floor brought more anticipation. Remember seeing Beatles RR, Breedloves Blue Flame and other cool cars which greeted you in the lobby. Of course there were the spokes models of every nationality, wow. Went back for many years and have great memories. Even got lucky to own a few of the cars which stirred my passion.

Now it is a total disappointment. :-(

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yea
    Never missed a coliseum show
    I remember escalators bringing me up to levels of american hot rods.
    When 427's were rated at 435 hp.
    And
    We believed it!

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The thing about auto shows today. Firstly we have already seen and heard much of everything online before, its not as though there are real surprises.
    Most new cars today are much of a muchness, besides the badge little seperates them.

I like to go every few years to see and compare, the c7 vette was exciting to see when it came out as was the z28. the Gt350R looked dissapointing in the flesh, whereas the XC 90 looked to be winner.

I agree shows are motly mass market moving metal, and thye are certainly a good place to compare models.

How many who own an exotic today had the fire lit and the bug planted as a child seeing one at a show and dreaming? Where will Ferraris new customers come from 20 or 30 years from now, they should be planting the seeds. or maybe the internet, video games and all those cars and coffees do now what shows did then.

8. RPM217

RPM217 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2007
    Rye Brook, NY
    Full Name:
    Roger
    I was a very fortunate young man. My father owned a retail flower shop, around the corner from the Coliseum (still has our name on it more than 39 years after I sold it), and he was the sub-contractor with the firm that was responsible for all the plants surrounding the displays. My job (as school was always out that week), was to go the coliseum, well before opening, and water all the plants. No crowds, no restrictions, I could look at any car I wanted, as long as I wanted. Most of them were locked overnight, but I could always come back right before it opened, and the various displays, were all cleaned and prepped, and they let the little kid crawl through all of them. I had a blast, I've been a car guy all my life, this was as close to heaven, as I expect I'll get!!!

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 msdesignltd, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    It really is a vastly different experience between press days and public days. I watch videos of coverage on press days and doors literally open up. Like, every single car is unlocked and people can sit in everything.

On the public days that I can attend, I've asked numerous manufacturer/exhibitor employees if they could open up cars that were open on press days, just to see inside or get photos. Not to sit in them or touch them or even approach them closer than the barriers. They've given me responses like I am stupid and haven't seen the press coverage.

For what it's worth, the GT350R, being so rare, and the just announced Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk being unlocked was a pleasant surprise this year. Mercedes is usually pretty good about having high dollar cars unlocked.

I made a ~5 minute video of what I believe were the best new cars at the show, missing are a handful of cars that were only there for press days.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPPDMZ-IxJQ

11. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Great story, man!

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Saw new FGT last year on display. Is that candy apple red? I not a fan of the styling, looks squashed to me.

13. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Very well done video...thanks for sharing !

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Truly an excellent Video..You must be a pro in your field.
    Did you use a video cam dolly for the horizontal panning??
    That 4K is just beautiful..
    Well Done !!!

15. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    I remember the New York Coliseum! They used to have the boat show there as well. I remember my dad buying a new 135hp Johnson outboard motor for our Cruisers Inc 21 foot Bonanza! Great day.

What I find frustrating at the auto show is that many of the folks who are representing a particular marque are employees from outside marketing firms, not the actual manufacturer. They have very scripted answers to general questions. There goal is to cater to the general public. Press days have different representation but its difficult to gain entry.

Also, from years ago I remember the brochures given out were "watered down versions" that were not very detailed. Going to an actual dealer was the way to score the "prestige" brochures. I grew up near "auto row" in Hempstead Long Island and every September my mom would take me after school in our 1973 Buick Electra 225 and let me run in and ask for the meaty brochures. She would double park in front of each showroom culminating at Cadillac. LOVED IT!

Thanks for the nostalgia.

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Apr 18, 2017
  17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Amazing car!!!

18. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #18 DougDish, Apr 18, 2017
    I stopped by the Manhattan Motorcars booth hoping to see one of eight "Rimac" ever built but all I saw was this big blue thing called a "Chiron".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you very much! Not a pro but I would certainly like to make my video work a large portion of my living. I used a 24" slider mounted on a tripod for the horizontal panning.

20. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thought so!
    Lumix g5 by any chance?
    Or black magic?

21. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Nikon D7200 + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 for most of the filming, Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 for some shots

22. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    Went to NY Auto show yesterday.
    Really nothing you could not see at a Dealer showroom or online.
    Anything of real interest was roped off or locked. Amazing they have to take lighters out of the 12V sockets. What a world

23. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Last time I went to the auto show it was a couple of years ago. It took me 30 min to see everything. Nothing special. A waste of time.

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I used to really enjoy the shows at the Coliseum every year in the 80's and probably into the 90's as well. After the show moved to Javits, whenever that was, the interesting displays really became fewer and fewer. I maybe went once in the 2000's and that was only because of a special invitation for the pre-show press day.

25. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Autoshow sucks..