Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you Bart, that is exactly what i thought when checking the diagram. I hope that my pal can figure it out, he is way better with car electrics than me......

2. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #277 lbird, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Olaf... Thank you so much for the relay info you provided... It appears
    these cars had all kinds of different relays that were used!! I am having trouble
    finding the Bosch ones, but I did start hunting Lucas relays and they seem to be
    more readily available. That was good advice you provided.!

Thanks again...

Mike

4. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #279 lbird, Apr 22, 2017
    Next little baby step: Fan installed, cooling system filled up, brake fluid put in and brakes tested. Everything holds tight (pressure tested), no leaks whatsoever. Regarding the fan: I know it is not original, but i am not a big fan of the two small original fans, they are not overly effective. And i like to drive my cars on the open road and in dense traffic, therefore i need a technically bulletproof car with lots of reserves regarding the cooling system. Thats why i opted for one big thermocontrolled Spal fan which works really good in my other cars. And when the metal cover is installed you don't see the fan anyway...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #280 lbird, Jul 18, 2017
    It is a long and relatively rainy summer here in Germany, but still it is time for a little update on the Mexico project. Progress has been somewhat slow over the past two months, the main reason is i am waiting for my chrome parts to return from rechroming - why do this always take so long?
    But in the meantime a new propshaft was made and the new stainless steel bumpers from Harrington arrived finally. It took almost two days to adjust them properly, but the result looks really good in my opinion.
    New rubber has been put on the Quattroporte rims. What do you think of them? No covers yet, but i think they fit the car quite nicely.
    And i have a little request: My red passive reflectors for the rear bumpers are quite rotten. They seem to be a common part - does somebody know where to get them? They are flat and screwed onto the bumper without a chrome socket, they fit right in (see picture for measurements).
    I need a source for them, they must be shared with Alfas or something similar.....

6. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  7. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you, will check them out. Mounting holes are different, but the size seems to be spot on and they are Carellos, so why not? I assume that getting good original ones will be close to impossible....

8. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Lbird. I think I have at least one spare that is
    Quite decent, i will check later today and send you
    A picture. You can have it if it is useful.

Best wishes.

Mark.

9. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Carello ref 12.562.718. This is the original part for the Mexico. The actual reproductions are perfect. On my car, the two original "catadiottri" had different mounting holes. It's not a problem, just drill the bumper for the new ones.

On another subject, did you apply a special treatment on the front and side grills ? They are in aluminum and mine looks tired. Sandbasting, painting, anodizing ???

10. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    The front grill was blasted and painted in the same silver metallic colour as the car. And the side grills were completely made from scratch with brand new aluminium stripes :)

@Mark: Thank you for the offer, but i already ordered a pair of the Carello reflectors as suggested. They really look quite good as a replacement.

11. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Just let me know if you change your mind lbird - and keep posting your progress. Looks like you are nearly there now!

Best.

Mark.

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #287 lbird, Jul 20, 2017
  13. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #288 lbird, Aug 19, 2017
    I am back from holiday - now its back to the important things: When assembling the Mexico further we encountered a couple of hopefully minor problems, which i am sure to solve with your help, fellow Maserati drivers:

Problem 1: The catch strips on the rear axle: I did not see them anywhere for sale, i have no samples (see picture how they must look like, part number 15). Any sources known?

Problem 2: The big rubber puck with a hole in the middle between gearbox (S5-20) and the thick metal u-profile gearbox mount part. How thick is that exactly? And are there any sources for it?
    We have problems at the moment to attach the propshaft to the diff because the springs are to hard (they are new) and we can't lower the vehicle without putting a lot of weight into the trunk. Therefore it is very important for us to know the exact thickness of that puck to adjust everything properly.

Problem 3: Exhaust. I bought a new Mexico exhaust from Jaques at Maseratisource which should have been complete. But the connection pipe between the end silencers under the rear axle is missing. This seems to be a seriously bent pipe. Any chances to source them? I have attached schematics of the exhaust from Eurospares, but that one looks quite different (silencers mostly) than the one from Maseratisource. Does somebody have any experience with this exhaust? Otherwise it looks good and seems to fit.

Problem 4: Wheel nuts. I need 6 more nuts to fit my wheels. They seem to be of brass inside, which is quite different from a simple steel nut (see pictures). Any sources known?

Apart from that, progress is going well. Manifold is flame sprayed, mounted and holds tight. Engine starts on the button, every instrument works, fuel pumps both work and the switching between them works fine too. Cover sheets inside the front fenders were fabricated, and my mate sourced some original brand new period correct FIAM horns, which sound great (the original ones were not working).

Unfortunately the chrome parts are coming late, so we are desperately waiting for them.

A date with the trim shop is set for the 2nd of October, so we are running a bit against a deadline with the mechanical parts. The gearbox and propshaft things have to be solved before that date to make it all work.
    Any information is therefore appreciated big time as always...

14. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    #289 wilde, Aug 19, 2017
  15. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    #290 wilde, Aug 19, 2017
  16. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you, the exhaust pictures really helped to clarify the positioning of the exhaust.

17. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    #292 wilde, Aug 19, 2017
  18. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
  19. vlasic ludovic

vlasic ludovic Karting

Apr 13, 2015
    Nice France
    Full Name:
    Vlasic ludovic
    Hi LBIRD,
    Here is a company that may help you for your exhaust ! Quite a nice guy !!!!
    Nouvalari Engineering Ltd

Best

Ludovic

20. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    #295 wilde, Aug 20, 2017
    Hi all,
    Do you have advices for dismantling the dash board. To be honest, I don't know where to start. I need to be quick because the car enter in the body shop for media basting in october.

21. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #296 lbird, Aug 21, 2017
    Thank you guys for the advice, everything is sorted and the missing parts were ordered with your help. Great community!

Here are some pictures to illustrate the current state of the car. Lots of work left before the trim shop can start their magic.

And sorry, i left the dashboard in the car, therefore i can not provide any help to dismantle it...

22. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Wilde. Mexico owner and user here 'the surveyor' did a dashboard refurbishment
    Last year I think. I am sure there were details on this board with before and after pictures and details. Have a look for his posts, and if not maybe send a PM.

Happy hunting.

Mark

23. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #299 lbird, Aug 23, 2017
    Since Hein Brand could provide all the missing pieces (like mostly - my recommended supplier for Maserati parts in Germany/Europe), we are good to go now.....

24. Steveiap

Steveiap Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    Hi Guys.
    Does anyone know if the Door Pillar Hinges are available anywhere ? I am restoring the shell of Mexico 256 and 3 of them are missing . I have the door side of the hinge ( they came on the doors I bought from Bart ) but not the pillar side
    These things are just welded onto the shell ( crazy ! ) and I think I will need to make them
    I have also recently bought another shell - 410 and that has a lot more parts on it which makes my project more viable . Hey , I may even restore that one too . Big jobs but nothing is impossible . Just time and money !
    Getting close to some serious work on 256 - am rebuilding the doors right now - been going to metalwork classes to learn how to use the english wheel etc so I can make all the stuff myself . Good fun ! Pressures of work have meant that this project has been a slow starter , but I will soon start a new thread and post pictures as I go along . Have a LONG list of parts I need to find so assistance will be appreciated
    Steve