Is really high quality moonshine available in the USA? | FerrariChat

Is really high quality moonshine available in the USA?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by swift53, Apr 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am asking this question, as I live in a 3rd world country, where we could produce fantastic stuff provided we can find a true artist distiller.

All we'd have to do, is import the Mason jars. Corn, coming out of our ears
    (no pun intended...)

The idea would be then to export, as that is where the business is at.

Just think about Tequila, which from being antifreeze a long time ago, turned into a Megabillion industry

If the answer is a big NO, then I will give up on the project, as it has to be a great business,

otherwise no point dwelling on the issue.

Thank you.

Regards, Alberto

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well certainly a lot of it is made. My uncle used to when he was alive. There is also Everclear, pure alcohol if that counts. There is no regulation when it is for personal consumption but when it is for sale the government steps in with regulations and naturally the tax stamps. The dyed in the wool moonshiners want nothing to do with the regulations and tax stamps or the government for that matter and that is where the problems start. Not sure there is a market for it outside of those already served because, at least from my experience anyone who wants it is getting it. But then that just may be me because we have some family history in that business.

3. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Real homemade moonshine and brandy is available however unless you know the right person it is hard to get due to potential legal issues. IMHO fruit flavored shines are great especially blackberry.

4. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    I've only ever found it in Quebec. But there is a product called Alcools 94. its 94% alcohol. I wouldnt call it high quality, but it does a job. and does it well.

When i was in Georgia, there were tons of signs offering moonshine. I'm guessing its all marketing, but I was curious to try it. I didnt, since I figured it wasnt real.

5. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    "Moonshine" means illegal. It isn't a type of liquor. I've had and made "moonshine" vodka, gun, and whiskey. The moment it is legal it stops being moonshine.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think they're trying to make it seem bad, and therefore cool. Forbidden fruit sort of a thing. I was under the impression that moonshine was not aged, so to be moonshine, legal or not, it should not be aged. One great line in an article I read referred to moonshiners as the original craft distillers!
    T

7. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    I was always under the impression it was pure alcohol. Not watered down to a certain percentage.

8. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    "White Dog" corn whiskey isn't aged, but I've drank a lot of well aged shine.

I think it is all just silly marketing, personally.

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    PLENTY of excellent (and even more NOT so excellent) moonshine available in my area.

Of course, I have NO idea whatsoever on how one could procure such a thing... ;)

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you all for the replies...
    Please re-read the original post, as the thread is going to tangents.

Going back to my question, might there be a market for excellent quality
    (is there anything else ?) moonshine legally made in the 3rd world and then exported to the USA?

Clearly, the idea is to start a legit business, where the financial results, due to lower production costs, would make it an attractive business.

Regards, Alberto

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even going way back it wasn't unusual to be mixed with something. In my mind I think the term has come to mean any home made distilled liquor and not the more mundane fermented variety. But sure, much of it is pure and why I mentioned Everclear at the outset.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #12 Rifledriver, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Again, we have Everclear, pure alcohol (190 proof) sold over the counter. A great deal of home made is available to those who want it. I just do not ever remember a single person saying "Gee, I wish I could buy really good moonshine" at least partially because those so motivated already can, just not at the liquor store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

As far as terminology, if by moonshine you are not speaking of home made distilled alcohol you need to be more specific.

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Almost every liquor store (or, ABC store as they're called in my area) has shelves of mason jars full of ever plausible "flavor" of "moonshine."

Don't often see much of it selling, other than perhaps to some tourists who want to say that they purchased "moonshine."

Could there be a market? Sure. What would make your product stand out & move off the shelves?

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Now we're talking...:)

I need to do a market enquiry, the usual due diligence, and then find out
    what sort of equipment we need, but I think the crucial ingredient is the 'master distiller',
    the guy that puts 'love' into what he's producing, and come up with a great product.

Never tasted it before, but like tequila used to be, possibly not a great, refined
    product.

Question is, can "moonshine" be made a top quality item?

Of course, there is marketing, reviews, etc. Got to start somewhere...

...next...

Regards, Alberto

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #15 swift53, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Thank you for the clarifications Brian, and possibly moonshine is not as great as what it could be, just as tequila used to be, and look at it know.

I have been wrong many times, but sometimes I also have been right, and I do not give up easily, so I will find out more and if feasible, then great, if not, then we'll make something else.

Regards, Alberto

PS. We also have sugar cane alcohol here, which sounds a lot like Everclear, possibly not even potable. I'll find out.

16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes, Belle Isle Moonshine. They are doing very well, and they have several flavors which sell well.
    Full disclosure: I am invested.

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    At my local liquor store there's several shelves of various brands of "moonshine", mostly in some fruit-based flavor. It's all just grain alcohol. Personally I think it's a fad.