1979 Ferrari 308 GTS red/tan $79,000 | FerrariChat

1979 Ferrari 308 GTS red/tan $79,000

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by GD2013, Jan 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    #1 GD2013, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS is chassis number 29433. Always stored indoors. This 308 GTS is located in Arlington, VA.

It is Classic Rosso Corsa Red with tan interior. It has 44,000 miles on it (subject to increase slightly as it is driven).

A car guy came to see this 308 and was very pleased with its stock originality -- very few of these cars retain the Marinelli points. Apparently, "patina" is the new word in the vintage car market. If you want re-skinned seats, "new" gray label carpets, and all of that stuff then this one's not for you.

Highlights:

Original Cromodora rims
    original carpets
    original seats
    tool bag
    jack bag

Missing:
    roof section stow bag
    owner's manual (but you can buy one on Ebay of course)

Non-original:
    radio (now a CD player from mid-90s)
    exhaust (Ansa aftermarket I believe)

I have owned the car for 3 years and have always taken great care of it and it has never been driven hard in my ownership. The previous owner had it for 10+ years, and provided me with details regarding his extensive maintenance regime. (Those documents will be provided with the car upon sale.)

He did the following:

1) oil changes, of course
    2) He added iridium plugs
    3) He rebuilt the carbs
    4) He maintained the Marelli ignition!
    5) He added a Birdman Fuse Box
    6) He resurfaced the flywheel and redid the clutch. (No issues with 2nd gear, etc.)
    7) He disconnected the A/C -- the parts are included with the sale.
    8) He changed the timing belts

Here's a more detailed service history for the car:

May 2009: Clutch and pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch cable replaced, and flywheel resurfaced.
    mileage: 40,541

January 2012: Valve clearances checked, compression checked, cam cover gaskets replaced
    mileage: 41,838

April 2012: Timing belts replaced, water pump replaced, hill engineering bearings used
    mileage: 41,953

August 2012: NGK Iridium plugs installed
    mileage: 42, 379

March 2013: Carbs rejetted and balanced

That's the major stuff - it got oil changes annually too of course....

Current mileage is 44,100

Result: That's $40,000 in parts and labor to keep the car maintained in the last 5 years or so. The car is a tremendous value, considering the hidden repair costs that everyone knows about with these wonderful sports cars.

Condition of the interior: The interior is in good condition for a vehicle of this age. The driver's seat has some bolster wear, and a 2" tear on the seat. The passenger's seat is in excellent overall condition. The carpets are in OK condition -- and are original. The dash is free of any cracks. The steering wheel is free from cracks and the leather is still in nice shape. The removable targa top headliner is in good condition and is the original leather material. All gauge crystals are nice and the center console is in good condition. Glass is all in good condition and free of cracks. The map pocket on the driver's side door is torn on the bottom and currently not usable -- the map pocket on the passenger side door is fine.

Condition of the exterior: The paint has great shine and is in good condition. I was told by the previous owner that this was a recent re-spray of the original color. There are a few bubbles in the quarter panels where minor rust has arrived. The tires are in good condition. The wheels are original and in good condition - 14" Cromodoras.

Mechanics of the car: The turn signals, parking lights and door locks work properly. Both headlamps go up and down. The low beams and brights work. The windows are slow but move fine - which is typical of a Ferrari of this vintage. There is a Birdman fuse box in place already. The aftermarket stereo sports a single CD player and is functional.

It always starts right up and drives great. Transmission shifts perfectly through all of the gears. Engine runs very smoothly and has plenty of power. It drives straight going down the road. It doesn't pull to either side and brakes smoothly without pulling. The engine makes a beautiful sound. It revs freely and the steering is tight and true.

Thanks,
    G. Davis

My direct email: [email protected]
    My cell: 202/841-5621
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Looks like a sorted nice car. Prices are not what they were 6 months ago, especially since it's not a GTB. GLWS. Love them all in red, as silly as that sounds.

3. monacojoe

monacojoe Rookie

Oct 25, 2016
    pricing seems out of reality for current market. won't say what I think market is but if you want to move it I'd get bit closer to reality. know its hard when you've put so much into maintaining but that is Ferrari

4. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    gentle bump.

5. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great car Garrick - GLWS

6. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    another gentle bump...

7. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    make me an offer....

8. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    +1

9. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    very nice and sorted 308 :)

10. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    A few people have said that "pricing doesn't reflect reality of current market" which is fancy talk for "your price is too high" haha!

A quick search of EBay, Cars, and Auto Trader of similar cars revealed that my price is at the low end of the market if anything...

Anyway: Someone make me an offer, and let's figure out "where the market's at"....

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Are you looking at "asking" prices or "sold" prices ? Lots of folks out there still trying to treat their 308s as lotto tickets --- but that doesn't mean much.

FWIW, $60K may move your car quickly. A well-established used Ferrari Dealer with good connections may be able to get closer to $65K...... but, as someone else has already pointed out, the buying frenzy has subsided quite a bit for now on the 308. It might come back, and it might not.

No offense meant, and I hope you get the most you can for your car.

12. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    you are right on. I am "in the market" but nothing close to this price..

and I am not even in for a GTS, it's GTB all the way. thats simply pref. At least the year is right

GLWS looks nice

13. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Good luck finding a nice carbed B for nothing close to that price...and yes in this market.

14. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Maybe the low end of asking! Nothing is SELLING at those unrealistic levels. Just see how long those cars stay advertised --- and if they are no longer advertised, I bet the owner just took them off the market or if a dealer, they just wholesaled it. Sure, a 79 GTS is a carb car, but the demand is for a GTB and preferably a 76 or 77 pre-cat car. A GTS selling at 79k would be all the money for a top platinum level car, IMHO!

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    What happened to the new rules about not posting about pricing? I think it's a great looking car and he should ask what he wants. all you negative comment posters go piss up a rope. :) Best luck with the sale, hope it finds a happy new home!!

16. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers here. I wish the seller best of luck in moving his car. I was just trying to express my opinion not on what this individual car would bring, but just my opinion on where I see the market for a top level GTS. Maybe I should have made that comment in the 308 GTB / GTS market thread. If so, moderator please delete my posting.

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Probably the same thing that happened to the rules about making insulting personal comments directed at other members ?

18. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    Gents,

Personally, I think the forum is mostly for chatting not buying/selling at any price -- but that's easy to say....

So let's test the theory: I will listen to offers starting at $60k.

That's right: $60K will get this car sold.

Any takers?

19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I had a dealers license for quite a few years. Sales are always very slow from Christmas till April 15th. Give it a little more time. :)

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Maybe Beverly Hills car club is more to your liking. Seems they had two GTB's listed in your price range.

21. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    I think the significant price increase for a GTB is mostly silly: a fixed roof plus a dry sump system does not equal a 50% premium over a GTS. It strikes me as a fad. In any case, if you're taller than 6 feet, you'll want that targa roof all day long -- just ask me how I know.

22. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I'll sare two thoughts with fellow F-chatters;

1- If you want to buy a 308 to enjoy it, then it's a GTS all the way. People obsessed with GTB are almost always buying it as a collectible investment.

2- A 79 car will not pass smog. My understanding is that cats are no longer available for this car. So, California, the largest market in the US, is ruled out.

23. GD2013

GD2013 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Garrick Davis
    The way around the cat smog issue is the following: purchase the "sport catalytic converters" from FORMULA DYNAMICS and have a mechanic weld them into the exhaust. This was how Maserati owners got around the failing cats in their 4200 coupes/Grand Sports.

24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is technically illegal. Not saying it won't pass the sniff test because it probably will, but it's not legal. The legal way to do it is to have the original cats re-cored to 400 (not the 200-300 count of the sport exhausts). Any independent Ferrari garage familiar with working on/restoring these old cars knows people who will do that for you.

25. viphoto

viphoto Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FWIW Don't rule out a California sale....Mine has passed the last 3 tests. (every 2 years at a check only station).. 79 GTB . I picked up some CA legal pre OBD cats (for a carb'ed car Manaflow 36004 universal ) had flanges made up and welded on....You might have to play with the idle Jets a bit but the new cats do wonders...The smog guys have yet to get under the car to see the cats to verify they are legal (even though they are)