Airplane Part ID Help- Wingtip and Drop Tank | FerrariChat

Airplane Part ID Help- Wingtip and Drop Tank

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TimN88, Apr 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #1 TimN88, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I walked into an aircraft parts/salvage operation in TX the other day and was eyeing some parts. Later in the week an opportunity for low cost shipping presented itself, so I picked up two items that I can't identify. I figured if anyone can help me figure out what these parts of from, its members of this board.

The first is a left wingtip. I thought it could be DC-3, but someone suggested it might be from a Beech 18. Its fairly thin, so its probably from a slower airplane. There were a lot of Constellation props, and engine cowlings that also might have been off a Connie, but the wingtip looks too small for that. Any ideas?

The other part was a drop tank. Unfortunately the nameplate is unreadable. It is about 8 feet long. A similar 100 gallon drop tank I found in the yard was for a OV-10, so its possible this one is also for an OV-10, but this one has three fins as opposed to the two fins on that other tank. It is possible that the third fin broke off at some point.. I can send other pictures of the drop tank if needed.

Last picture is an unused spinner with base (I don't know the proper names for those parts) that came off a P-2 Neptune, according to the part numbers stamped on it. A big prop collector who happened to facilitate the shipping said that this spinner was only used on these planes, which were used as firebombers decades ago, and thats probably why it was not scrapped a long time ago. I don't have a P-2, but it should polish up nicely and someday will be used for the ceiling fan hub above my bar.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That wing tip is definitely not from a DC-3 but from an airplane that had ailerons that went clear to the tip. It is too thick to be from a Beech 18, I'd say from something large and slow. The tip tank is similar to what was used on an F-104.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Apr 21, 2017
  4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The nose in that tank looks pretty similar. Its currently on its way home, but I'll ask one of the guys to measure the length, diameter, and suspension lug spacing. It's defneily a fuel tank though. It has three lines coming out of it and a cap for gravity filling.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I am wrong about the tank. I should have looked closer.

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wingtip is definitely DC-4/C-118. I compared it to a static display plane nearby. The vent is slightly different , but the sheet metal panel pattern, nav light, and aileron cutout are identical. Will posts pic later

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think your tank is no tip tank but a centerline tank. Looks pretty common but older.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- The C-118 was based on the DC-6 (DC-6A Freighter, actually) and the C-54 on the DC-4. Wing tips probably very similar on all four types.

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thats good info. I didn't know that. That would explain the slight difference in vents on the bottom.

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #10 TimN88, Apr 21, 2017
    Below is a picture of a C-118 (DC-6) wingtip I took this afternoon. Other than the air vent, it seems to be a match. I'll have to track down a photo of a DC-4 wingtip to determine which one its from.