Turbo prototype | FerrariChat

Turbo prototype

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Indyjones, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Found this picture on the net. Says it's a Turbo Prototype 1982. Were they planning to turbocharge the engine on early Mondial models? Is that an intercooler mounted up front?

[​IMG]

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Perhaps they were thinking of creating a Mondial with the 2.0 Turbo for the home Italian market? Similar to what they did with the 308 when they created the 208 Turbo.

Sid

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Surprised it needed to be mounted as shown for testing, especially the air cover exhaust analyser and whatever is sitting on the engine bay lid...

Out of interest, where did the 'turbo' info come from?

I wonder if they used the mondial as a simple testbed per se, or it wasn't specifically for a mondial?

Either way, those 348 mules for F40 came a long way!!!

I wonder if this was the inspiration for the BTTFC but Spielberg could only afford a Delorean ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    That's a water or oil rad up front, pipe into it is too small to be air for a turbo install and way to far from the engine, the lag would be huge.

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    In 82 the turbos were still no intercooler set ups due to low pressure etc(?) I can't see benefit of 'testing' 208mk2 intercoolers in this way either.

Given oil cooler intake cover device it also seems odd that they'd be looking at running an oil cooler all the way to the front of the car to somehow provide better engine bay 'packing' of the QV set up!?!?
    It couldn't be connected (not physically) to radiator testing for the QV could it? Looking at cooling of the 4cv vs the mon8?!? Seems late in the day if 82, but didn't pre3.2 cars get 2 rad fans at some point????

6. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
  7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    That has to be an aux water cooler which may be necessary to cool the turbo version of the motor but the mondial has more cooling capacity than it needs so it's a puzzle. The oversized side intakes may be to help the oil cooler which sits on that side if I recall. If any car needed a turbo, it's the Mondial!

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    if the engine needed that level of cooling efficiency then it's odd they got that far with design and never thought "hmmm where will that fit bigger radiator?"

If the photo is not in negative then we are seeing the passenger side of a RHD car. I wonder if that's relevant to what's being tested e.g. US or Aus markets and high temperatures?? (If it was UK we'd be looking at some additional rain proofing!!!)

The air intake is the oil cooler side, hard to see what the 'device' is doing, let alone why....

Is there something on the exhausts; wouldn't have thought you'd be analysing gases if it was cooling without some other mod.

And something on the engine deck, or is that the lid open and raised?

I still wonder if the pic date is right. If this was 1980 or 81 wouldn't we think it was just QV testing???

I've emailed the poster from the weblink....

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The connection on the radiator looks similar to the one on my oil cooler 3.2. Maybe they put oil out front to put something in its place thus the big ram air setup to force more air where oil cooler was. All based on my 3.2 setup of course.

10. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yeah the joints/unions look same, but then it couldn't be a bigger Air Con could it!!!

If the oil cooler moved they could have put two air intakes to the plenum to feed a (twin?) turbo set up....

Trying to remember where the 208 and GTO had got to by 1982 and what ferrari might have been doing that the mondial was being used as a testbed for other stuff (i.e. Not mondial specific).

Would have thought an oil cooler would have bolted onto side or rear, seems a long way to route it, mindful pipes seem to come from within rad bay, so would have some interesting plumbing?

The intake looks v different to the scoops used on racing 2/308 and GT4s, in comparison it doesn't look very 'ram air'.... maybe more like a way of controlling air(flow) or measuring?!?

All odd! If the original picture bloke from the web replies I'll post. May even be intrigued enough to contact the factory.....

11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Must be going blind.... hadn't noticed the rear wheel is covered too. Doesn't get any clearer!? Assume they are static testing, in which case I dong see the side pod assisting.
    No doubt something really obvious?

12. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    There was a Mondial (95529?) that was said to be an early F40 Muletto...?

13. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    #13 StuR, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    There's a September 1981 mondial 8 review on Wheels Magazine that has a similar coloured car parked alongside the same grass, fence and hedges: guess it was a standard bit of the test track so may be a coincidence - no test kit on the Wheels car either.

A bit early for F40? Aren't the Evo cars 288s I thought.? Appreciate there could be other mules involved. Some confusion about a 't' used for Enzo emission testing, which I think turned out to be a 412 cab proto??

There was 308s involved in the 288GTO and that is of same period. Be pic and some chassis on google.

A 1982 longitudinal QV engine with intercoolers on TTs....!! I'd settle for a bonnet mounted oil cooler with that set up;-)

Sid, if Ferrari were considering a 2lt turbo mondial for the Italian market, any thoughts on why they'd need the set up in the picture, unless the 208 set up was not powerful enough for the heavier mondial, or they were doing the early 2ltr GTB version of the QV engine??

14. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    [​IMG]

Or rather than a definitive model (like 208) how about something more unique like this 2ltr v8 test/development model?

15. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    There is a Mondial 3.2 Coupe that was modified by Michelotto throught Ferrari of Houston in 1988 for a customer that wanted more power, it has a twin turbo set up

16. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    cool site. Good find!