Red Key Fob Not Working | FerrariChat

Red Key Fob Not Working

Discussion in '360/430' started by Keith360, Apr 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    #1 Keith360, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    I know, I know, the subject of key fobs is many and long. I have a problem with my Red Fob, and the Black Fob is working. When the Red Fobs button is pressed the indicator led on the Fob is very dim and flickers. The Black Fob works great, no issues.

After searching this website and a few other places and I have not come up with anything useful. I checked the battery voltage on the existing battery and it was 12.07 vdc. The indicator led on the Fob is very dim and flickers. I've cleaned the battery contacts with a pencil eraser and then methyl alcohol and used a new battery with the same results

Anyone have a hunch on what it is?

Waiting on the edge of my seat.

2. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Perhaps try cleaning contacts with a fine sandpaper? That's what I've always used for contact issues.

3. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Replace the battery with another new one first. It may show 12v but when it has a load (pushing the button) it drops if the battery is weak.

4. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Desolder the data chip into a new fob. Problem solved. I've seen them go bad and you probably just need a new board. I can do this for you, have done it before.

Sometimes the lights get a pulse flicker to them as well. I just replace them, but keep your old data.

5. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Well, after preforming a suggested post, changing battery from know good one, and see if it works. I had the A23 double pack in my battery drawer purchased these 1-1/2 years ago. I assumed they were good being they are in the original bubble pack card and the batteries measured 12.07 vdc. I bought these two years ago. I've had Duracell and Energizer batteries that said they were good until 2025.

I guess I should load test these batteries before I store them...

Total success, The swapped battery worked in the RedFob. I was thinking I would need to go the high cost road of serval thousand dollars and replace the entire system.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Keith- Affirmative, I have had half of those little batteries bad in some batches. The Duracell MN 21 (21/23) has been the most reliable.

7. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Hi Terry, thanks for that tip!