Battery Dead | FerrariChat

Battery Dead

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Impounder, Apr 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    All of sudden the battery is dead, last weekend I drove it and it was fine, has shown no signs of failure but I guess that's how everything goes on these cars. Interstate battery put in by the dealership 3 1/2 years ago.

Question, I am probably going to just change it myself don't want to jump it and don't want to tow it to the dealership, is there any trick to changing these batteries? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Thanks Taz, will give it a shot next weekend.

4. Muftah

Muftah Karting

Mar 3, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Muftah
    I recently replaced my battery with Interstate AGM battery,
    MT7-48/H6. I think it's a superior battery.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MT7-34R is actually more powerful (800 CCA vs 730 CCA) and has been fitted by a number of owners, including me..

6. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    I currently have the MT-34 the dealership put in 3 years back, but I agree with Taz I will step up to the MT7-34R.

The interesting thing is that both these batteries went suddenly dead after getting the car back from long service jobs. Where the car was in the shop for more than a month each time.

7. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Taz do you have the diagram for removing the expansion tank, besides from the one obvious bolt is there any other trick?

8. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    If I don't use mine for more than a week I put on a C-tec charger wired to the battery-just plugin plugout at the front bumper.

9. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Mine usually last for about three weeks any longer than that I put it on the factory charger. The problem with these batteries is they give you no warning like normal cars.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually that's not true, I used to be an Interstate dealer located next door to a supermarket and the majority of batteries we sold was to supermarket customers who had come there to shop and upon leaving found their car dead with no warning.

Coincidentally this exact scenario happened to my wife's MB last week, no warning, just dead that morning.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sorry, cannot get to it.

12. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    No super secret here. i just removed the tank's nuts, pulled it up and out of the way, and slid the battery past it. Awkward and heavy, but no degree needed. And didn't require removal of the narrow diameter hose.

13. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    #13 Impounder, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Just finished. Degree needed in Rocket Science, No. Getting yelled at by wife for cursing, yes. Will I do this again, NO

Removal of splash - basic
    Removal of expansion tank - basic
    Removal of bracket - basic
    Removal of bolt on bottom bracket - didn't have a small metric wrench that would squeeze in there, little delay
    Removal of battery - a little tricky, but got it out.

Putting the new battery in - basic
    Putting bracket on new battery which is larger than old battery - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING.

Reset, took it out for a quick spin, all back to normal.

Off to go get a massage since I can't straighten out my lower back, love getting older.

14. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 NE550, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  15. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Call Elon Musk. He will solve all your battery problems. Tesla's never have a battery issue.

I have the same issue as Impounder. Sudden Death. Ferrari or not.

Over the last 10 years. I have had 1 battery that performed admirably. All the others where crap. It did not seem to matter if I paid 150€ or 400€. Trickle charger or not.