Doug Demuro on the 550 | FerrariChat

Doug Demuro on the 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bas, Apr 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSB7duF5rbc[/ame]

Nice little video about 1 of my favourite ever cars...I quite like his ''Why car X is worth X'' series.

:)

2. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #2 MogulBoy, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hope nobody actually thinks that is the way the alarm system works.

4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    He's a terrible reviewer but glad the 550/575 is getting more attention in the YouTube crowds.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    He is the guy that can make exotic cars boring.

7. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Actually I find his videos OK, but annoying, and his lack of knowledge about what manual V12 Ferrari's are available is disappointing, mainly I suppose as most 456's are Autos.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's a leather shelf from World of Leather. You can buy it by the yard. Good for garden furniture.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't really like many of his videos, but I do like the short reviews like he did above....his ''bumper to bumper'' **** got annoying about the 2nd time he used it.

10. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    That is my car. My quilted rear shelf was believed to be original my a Ferrari indy shop and Central Jersey Ferrari.

11. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I read a number of the things he wrote about his year with the 360, including his final post about how much of a disappoint it was. Maybe he is writing to a certain audience (people who generally do not have Ferraris and don't understand them because they have never actually been exposed to them and are unlikely to know anyone who has one), but I found his final write up to be, bluntly, stupid. His complaints about the car were things that should be obvious to anyone: it is a point (a) to point (a) car (not entirely true but even so, of course these cars are not generally ones you go out and do your trip to Lowe's or Home Depot in); they are the most fun to drive if you are on back roads in the country and, because he lived in Philly or whoever, it was hard to get to your car to have fun; you get attention in the car and it gets old (frankly, where I am, I rarely get attention in either of my F cars); and if you want something sporty, but a little bit boring, that you can use every day, get a Porsche. Ultimately, his complaints boil down to ignorance before buying, not any fault of the car (indeed, in his case, he went out of his way to say that the 360 was the most reliable car he owned).

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    His comments on F1 also demonstrate he has no clue on how to drive an F1 Ferrari.

13. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    The guy is a one trick pony... Here is a cool car, this is why it is weird to us "normal" folk, and now I'm going to drive it and end up liking it.

His reviews aren't intelligent or thought out. They merely survive on the fact that the car is unique and people want to see it and learn a bit about it. As soon as he takes the car for a drive, I stop watching. It goes from a mildly interesting tour of the car, to a boring commentary that lacks substance.

That being said, I am glad to know more about the 550. Thanks, Doug, for sharing your fun facts (even if they aren't all accurate).

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Exactly what I would say myself, but I don't like to make negative comments...

15. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    His videos are perfect to add volume subscribers and views which equate to $ for him. He could care less about the "real" car guys. He goes after the general public. IMO.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I'd agree with that, personally just bagging cars which do things out side the main stream I found pointless.

17. 2HotShoes

2HotShoes Karting

Sep 2, 2015
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Tal & Beryl
    Right. DeMuro's 550 video. The Cowgirl and I took a flatscreen monitor into our hangar where Guido, our loquacious 550, lives. We simply wanted Guido's opinion of the video. No sooner had we started it when Guido asked (well, told) us to pause it. We did. He then said, with that weird Italian accent of his, "Hey, wait, you two. Isn't this that dude that drove a Testarossa and said he loved it's V-12? Yeesh! OAF!"

Yep. That.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I don't know Doug, but I should point out in his defence that Ferrari officially refers to the Testarossa's engine as a "180 degree V12". We may argue about the strangeness of that definition, but that's what the people who made it, call it.

I don't refer to my F512M as a V12, generally, though in the official Ferrari magazine, we have to.

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A flat (boxer) engine has one piston per crank journal , a V engine (Testarossa) has two pistons per crank journal.

The included angle is immaterial

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    My mother taught me to say nothing if I can't say something nice, so in deference to her I'll not saying anything about Demuro. But it really is scary to realize that his mishmash video on the TR has way more views than the informative and well presented Harry's Garage review of Harry's own TR. I guess Doug resonates with... a certain demographic...

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

H. L. Mencken

21. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Demuro presents in the 'American way' which is a sort of demeaning sarcasm while he dresses in flip flops and rags.

That is why he resonates with so many viewers.

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    lol. Doug Demuro "driving" the exotic. "It's fast" "The clutch pedal is lighter than the other cars I've driven" Ask a 17 year old who drives his moms Prius and then let him drive your exotic and you get the same feedback.

I'll follow Chris Harris for meaningful commentary on how an exotic "drives".

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Dave, you have explained it more fluently than Ferrari ever did when I asked.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Plus a true boxer fires two cylinders at one time so they box with each other. The Ferrari flat V12s fire one cylinder at a time.

25. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The Lotus elise/exige system works in a similar fashion to what he explains. If you try to start the car 2 minutes+ after unlocking, you have to disarm the immobilizer again (pressing the unlock button instead of holding it) before starting.

How does it work in the 550?