1964 Maserati QP-1 Diff Orange color | FerrariChat

1964 Maserati QP-1 Diff Orange color

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by MaseratiSD, May 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiSD

MaseratiSD Rookie

Nov 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have a 1964 Maserati QP-1 and I was wondering if anyone knows the proper 'orange' for the diff? I had to rebuild mine and its hard to tell what the original color was. It is some sort of burnt orange color but I'd like get it as exact as possible.

MaseratiSD

2. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Hello, is your Series 1 Quattroporte already on www.tipo107.com?
    If not, would be great to see your car there. btw: it doesn't have to be orange. This is an original colour as well: http://tipo107.com/Maserati107/Evolution.html#54

3. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    The paint you are looking for I believe is GLYPTAL, I don't think it comes in different shades than this burned orange. it was used on the outside and inside of these diffs from new.

Kind regards

Kim

4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    ^ I am in agreement with Kim. With weathering Glyptal turns to a duller red oxide colour.
    Incidentally there currently seems to be a shortage of Glyptal, at least in Europe, so you may have a bit of a wait to get hold of some.
    I think Ivan found a good match for the exterior though with a conventional paint. Maybe try a thread search under 'Salisbury diff' or similar.

Al the best.

Mark.

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    In the past I have used Red Oxide primer from a spray can followed by several coats of satin clear paint.

Ivan

6. MaseratiSD

MaseratiSD Rookie

Nov 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks everyone! And thank you Ivan for the link to tipo107.com. Just amazing! My car is listed, it is 012.

7. MaseratiSD

MaseratiSD Rookie

Nov 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philip
  8. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    The diff on my car #250 is black. But one thing I noticed on #12 is that the rear springs are yellow. So are mine. I always assumed that someone painted them yellow at some point. But now when I see a second car with the same color, is it possibly original? Does anyone know?

9. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011

356 is pretty original. On the picture you can see the brown damper, while the spring is definitely, under all the grime, a clear colour, you can even spot a bit of yellowish. This is most certainly an original one. As the colour fades, new owners thought it must have been black. Do we know the brand?

10. MaseratiSD

MaseratiSD Rookie

Nov 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tipo107.com claims they were yellow, front and rear. The Glyptal story is sounds so Italian it must be true. Basically it is a rust inhibitor that was used by the parts supplier to ship parts to Maserati. Normally you would strip off the Glyptal and paint the parts, but Maserati simply installed them figuring they won't rust....they are covered with Glyptal! Note that the insides are also covered with the stuff, so the inside of your diff should be orange, even if they painted the outside.

11. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #11 AM1220552, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is how my (Indy4900) diff looks these days during installation.

MaseratiSD, remember that it's nothing Italian about these diffs, they are Brit all the way! Knowing the origin of parts solves alot of of trouble, sourcing Maserati rear axle parts is somewhat difficult, while if you start looking for a Jaguar MK2 Salisbury rear axle, a whole new world of parts opens up to you, same story with the classic suspension parts nothing Italian about them even though FRAP in Italy re-makes a few of them now.

For curiosity sake, the Glyptal paint was developed by General Electric's GE Schenectady Works sometime around 1949, in the US.

I found this on the internet: http://valvechatter.us/?p=4072 IMHO, an interesting point of view, are we wrong when leaving them just covered in Glyptal red? Maybe the right way is to find a can of satin black and a brush to cover it all up again :)

Kind regards

Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login