Should he paint the 575?! | FerrariChat

Should he paint the 575?!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Cavallino Aficionado, May 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I thought this headline might draw some attention. My uncle (75) calls me this weekend and says he can't go to his grave with a non-red car. He's had his 575 (black) now for 6 years, very well sorted car, and has looked at just upgrading to a 599 but the dealers are in a sellers market right now. Current combo is black over crema. He's been asking around for shops to do a restore and repaint. I cringe at the idea of changing the paint color but it's his car if he wants to make the change.

So here's my question to you, what about having it wrapped? I've seen a bunch of guys do this for a long term or short term color change. It sounds like he was willing to spend 25k for a minor restore and repaint. I'd just need to steer him toward a reputable shop NW of Chicago area.

2. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No personal stake in this, but I think a red wrap would be a good solution for him. This way, after the car becomes available in his estate, it can be returned to original and therefore returned to max resale value. Wrap it in shiny red and turn him loose!!

3. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wrap it! Yes, with a pro job you will not even be able to tell that it has been wrapped. They will be able to do the door jambs, inside of the doors, wrap it under/around seams, etc.

And it will be quite a bit less $$$ to do so than what he is looking at for a pro paint color change.

And...it will affect the value of it later on a lot less...you can have the wrap removed and the original color is there in all its' glory underneath.

Just my 2 cents!

Regards,
    Scott

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Have him speak with Custom Cars in LaGrange IL or Auto Art in Glenview, IL.

(Why not just see if there's another f-chatter willing to trade a red one first?)

5. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks guys. Justin- this AutoArt place looks like a winner to me.

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I know everything is relative, but I would imagine the values of 599s have been going down whereas the 575 has been trending up- the difference between may not be as large as his dealer is letting on. He should shop around/check other dealers or private sellers of 599s. I'm not sure wrap can be removed that easily/without paint damage especially if on there for any amount of time, and probably cost some decent money to do right/to a high standard.

The 599 is an amazing car if he can swing it!

7. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    talk with the guys at Chicago auto pros for the solution to your situation

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wouldn't paint a black one red purely because of the amount of red cars out there, but here's my thoughts:

It's a 575 (don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Maranello's as some here well know!), it's not ultra rare...If he truly wants a red one, he's better of painting his well sorted one than get a red one that might have problems (you never know). Get it properly documented (pre-paint pics, during, and after). If for some reason, in 15 years the car is suddenly worth a million in original colours....paint it black again. No big deal. The 10K or so a repaint costs then will be worth it if the cars are worth such an amount of $.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Where can you paint a ferrari for 10 g's
    No good respray is under 25 thousand
    Great ones at 40 thou

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    10-15K for a very good respray. If you're paying 40K you're getting raped.

Respray is all in the prep. Prep well and any half decent painted will be able to make it look good.

Alsa Automotive - Ferrari Price List