Maserati Khamsin | Page 275 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Mike,

I just sent you an email.

Best regards,

Marc

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6852 Nembo1777, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By the way that Khamsin at Redline in Connecticut, AM120US1200,

Buy or Sell Your Vehicle with Redline Restorations | Black Rock, CT | Redline Restorations

...used to be the northermost K in north America. No not quite Anchorage:) but Jim Collingridge owned it in Kamloops BC Canada (photos). He was a character apparently and had it without a rear bumper as the kit was not as readily available at the time, in fact those were very much still the days when K's were almost unknown, almost never seen and completely undervalued.

In 2000 he drove it down to Monterey, a round trip from Kamloops over 3200 miles (5120kms about the same as Lisbon to Moscow!). He took part in Concorso Italiano and in the parade on track at Laguna Seca so I saw it there but have no specific memories nor did I meet him.

It was later for sale in 2008 by Forza Motorsports, Peter Sweeney's company also in Connecticut. He believes between its years in Canada and him it had been bought out of Texas by a big Connecticut collector.

Automatic Khamsins used to attract zero interest years ago but now that K values have risen very significantly and that there are radars everywhere and more traffic the usefulness of an automatic as a valid proposition has increased a lot. They are extremely easy to drive even in heavy traffic, not that the manual is hard either due to the very highly assisted clutch pedal, brakes and steering requiring zero effort. I don't believe the market, particularly in the US, is ready for a US$200K automatic transmission car though but I am sure they will listen to sensible offers. Don't know those people.

MS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hey I remember Jim and the car. Back then there was a guy in SF bay area who had BMC the west coast importer put a lower ratio diff in his Khamsin and also converted it to a Mercedes 4spd automatic. He turned up once at a local maserati club outing. I saw that car at BMC getting the new diff installed. I don't know who did the tranny conversion or how but it's a great idea IMHO.

Bob S.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

Very interesting, do you remember the colors of the car and the chap's name, any other clues?
    Notwithstanding the diff change to a shorter ratio I assume that gearbox would allow a car to stretch it legs much more than standard automatic the Khamsin had...and of course much better acceleration with a shorter diff....you know Euro K's feel daintier don't accelerate as much at low speeds but really get going on the highway but US cars with the very low speed limit did not need that.
    I have always dreamt of a six speed manual on a K as discussed here years ago but then again one could start fantasizing about sequential gearboxes etc etc:)

MS

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you want to find out you might check with Gene Ogorman (he had an automatic one back then), John Asmus as they were probably also there that day. Or even Frank M might know something about it? Of course there's always the chance that Qvale's son who I think still runs that SF dealership remembers or has records. The service manager's name back then was Henry and he was in his early 30's.

6. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Yes I had a Khamsin with automatic for 25 years # 1124. I remember seeing Jims car from Canada but I did not hear the story or know anything about a Khamsin in the SF Bay area that had been modified with lower rear end and Mercedes transmission.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6857 Nembo1777, Apr 28, 2017
    Hello Eugene,

Thanks for that, here a couple of photos of your ex car I saved.

Regarding the dubious ad we recently discussed here, it was using photos of 1090 (the 3rd and 4th photos) and I have exchanged emails with the man...yes a scammer; the car is supposedly in south east England and he wanted it to be paid and shipped without visit and inspection, kept insisting on that like a magnet stuck on glue...suuuuuure...when I said I required an inspection for my client as there are too many SCAMMMMMMERS he vanished...1090 was sold out of new England to Germany six, seven years ago.

Best regards,

Marc

8. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    #6858 richjar, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6859 Nembo1777, May 1, 2017
    Hi Richard, that is 106 which was also there in October 2009 at the Goodwood Intl Maserati meeting, the only time we met (first two photos).

It came out of Saudi Arabia apart and has been fitted with...a modified dry sumped QPIII engine (yes!).

I don't have the engine bay photos at hand. Anybody have some?

The interior is also very different from the norm as you can see below.

Corley Motors is the dealer who imported it and sold it to Kim the current owner. The photo assemblage at bottom is from Corley. FYI the engine bay does NOT look like that now. I also saw the car at Le Mans Classic one year.

With the Chevy engine AM120.307 in Sydney and 082 in Holland which has an Indy engine they constitute the triumvirate of differently engined K's...

Best regards,

Marc

10. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    #6860 richjar, May 1, 2017
  11. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #6861 rga, May 1, 2017
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There you go, thanks Roger.

Best regards,

Marc

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  14. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    They have had that car for sale for a while now. The price was originally £20k lower but they put it up around 2 months ago

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Mark.

MS

16. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    #6866 series1, May 7, 2017
    Took the Khamsin out for a spin today, ended up at a local car meet with an eclectic bunch of transport.

The K behaved itself today. Had a really good run in it. I love the way it jumps into life on the kick down. I wish it had more gears though. Has anyone ever put a 4 or 5 speed auto in one? Just thinking out loud.

17. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello to all

I know that a black K used to live in Beirut or at least in Lebanon and was that it was sold through ebay a couple of years back.

But now I am surprised to hear there is another K which left Canada to go to Lebanon.
    The car is again black but this time the interior is Panna, as far as I can see.

No clue which car i.e. chassis number that would be.

Lebanese Classic Cars media by BTyvRnVlUhF instagram

Best regards

Roger

18. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Or do it right and convert to 5-speed manual for maximum fun? Colourful collection in that photo. I know which one I'd prefer to be driving into that parking lot!

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145342828-post6853.html

I doubt any 5 speed auto would be a candidate as there would be too much electronics to deal with.

20. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    I think, for me, it would be too much work to do a manual conversion on the car. I have no problem with auto boxes, I am just missing a good pick up from mid gear. It could be the lockdown cable needs adjusting but , as the gearbox needs a rebuild anyway, I wondered if there was a similar sized, 4 or 5 speed box, that would go in without having to carve up the car.

Definitely do not want the complications of electronics so thinking of an early 80s box that can cope with a 4.9 V8. All the gear ratios would have to be sympathetic to the car.

21. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    What about the Mercedes Automatic gearbox which has been used in the Porsche 928 S4? A 5-litre engine, 320 HP – like the Khamsin. It's the 4-speed 722.3, also used in the 124 Mercedes series on the bigger engines. No electronics, it's controlled hydraulically. And there must be a lot of them around.

22. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #6872 au-yt, May 11, 2017
    Nice thought however the 928 box is a Transaxle.
    There is a ZF 4 speed auto that will fit, also a Corvette 6 speed that will fit a Manual.
    ZF overhauled my box and when I was asked to inspect the box when it was in pieces the foreman said do you a want a 6 speed this will bolt straight in. However I recon it will need a shorter prop shaft

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Of course switching back to a manual is quite a configuration change what with adding the third pedal. But that car is nice with a manual.

24. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

25. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have the complete pedal assy for a 5 speed Khamsim for sale .
    Cheers

Mark