Diamond cut vs silver wheels | FerrariChat

Diamond cut vs silver wheels

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rmk40, May 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    #1 rmk40, May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm thinking I'm in the minority in saying that I'm not a huge fan of the diamond cut look on the 458 forged wheels, so I figured I'd ask folks for their opinions here. I'm the 2nd owner of my car and the build sheet says it came with forged painted wheels (original dealership photos support this). However, the car has diamond cut wheels on it now. I'm not sure if they're original, refinished wheels or a complete swap.

My issue with the diamond forged is that the darker tone of the painted portions makes the wheels look small, especially in the back. Would I be crazy to refinish these wheels in standard silver?

Top picture is silver (my car originally, per dealer website), bottom is diamond cut (my car also, currently).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm old school. I much prefer silver, forged rims, which is what I ordered on my 488. I'm just not much for diamond or black rims. But, you need to get what appeals to you.

3. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    I have a set of silver forged OEM rims that I'd be willing to sell. Haven't listed on eBay yet. PM me if you're interested.

4. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I have the same preference, which is why I'm either going to refinish my diamond cut wheels in regular silver or replace them.

5. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I have the diamond wheels in your second pic on my Spider as well, but ordered the forged painted on a 488 Spider I have coming late this year, which like you I prefer. If I were changing the diamond's, I'd opt for OEM.

Jim

6. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    No right or wrong, just personal preference.

The diamond cut wheels hide brake dust grime better, and many people feel the diamond cut wheels look more modern/up to date than the traditional silver wheels. When specifying out the options on my 488 I asked the dealer which wheels did most people prefer -- he told me the diamond cut forged wheels.

7. Goplay

Goplay Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2012
    Northern CA
    I used to only like the traditional wheels but prefer the diamond cut these days. It gives a more dimensional aspect to the wheel and a slimming look. All black wheels can look good depending on the car overall but often just results in black holes where wheels should be!

8. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I had the diamond cut wheels on my Cali. Unfortunately I curbed one of them and found they are very difficult to repair. Ever since I have ordered the painted forged wheels on my 458 and 488.

9. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I wouldn't mind the diamond cut with a more traditional silver on the painted sections as opposed to the darker grey.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #10 jm2, May 15, 2017
  11. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #11 metaldriver, May 15, 2017
    When I bought my 458 it had black wheels. I hate black wheels, so part of the deal was they paint them silver, which turned out perfect. Because the process was taking a bit longer than planned, they offered me a set of brand new diamond cut wheels. I stuck with the plan and am infinitely pleased with the result. On a black car the silver wheel contrast is more appealing to me than the gray of the diamond cut wheels.

I absolutely love the silver wheels on that 488 in the above post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#12 Cigarzman, May 15, 2017
    I've got the diamond cut and wouldn't want anything different. I like the diamond cut on the red rig too. FWIW I'm not a fan of black wheels either.

458SG likes this.
  13. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I had he diamond cut on my 458 but opted for the painted silver and dark chrome for my 488GTB and 488 Spider respectively

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The issue with Diamond cut is if you damage the rim, it needs to be remachined. It's a lot more expensive than a painted rim to make look like new.

15. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    The more pictures I see, the more convinced I am I want painted silver. Though, rather than my original bad plan of refinishing my diamond cut wheels, I'm just going to pick up a set of forge painted.

16. Gooberuge

Gooberuge Karting

Nov 13, 2012
    West Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Rex
    #16 Gooberuge, May 16, 2017
    I also vote for silver painted rims. To some extent, it may depend on the color of the car, i.e., silver painted rims seem to go well with metallic exterior paints. Matching silver painted calipers give the car an understated look, versus yellow or red calipers which give the car a more racy look.

17. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #17 rocketman, May 16, 2017
  18. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Your dealer simply wanted to make more money off you. Those diamond forged wheels are an $8K upgrade... These cars have carbon ceramic brakes, so brake dust really isn't a problem anymore compared to conventional systems used in other cars.

At the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

19. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    To be fair, the forged upgrade can be had without diamond cut and is worth it. 3k between painted forged and diamond cut is the stickler.

I don't get at all why it's that much more.

20. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    The new "standard" 488 wheels look nearly the same as the forged 458 which is why I ordered them on both of my 488s (GTB and spider) as I prefer that look to the new forged wheel design. It's true you can get the new forged wheel (non diamond) for around $5000 and to do a colored standard wheel is $3000.

21. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    You and I are on the same page. On a 458, I would have never ordered one with the standard wheel, they simply looked hideous. On a 488, I think Ferrari made the standard wheel look much better than those which come as options, an elegant/classic look.

The 488 already has enough holes and inlets due to the turbos, we don't need more between spokes on the wheels.

22. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Pretty much just a personal preference. I think mine is for the lighter silver on the lighter color cars but I did like the diamond cut on the black car.I don't care for most black wheels but on the black car the diamond cut wheels seemed correct to me. Just another opinion no really wrong or right answer.

23. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    diamond cut rims are ok. compromise between silver and ghetto black rims.

black rims are for lazy people who don't want to clean their wheels :p

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Silver!

[​IMG]

dz22 likes this.
  25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005