Anyone know what this is leaking? | FerrariChat

Anyone know what this is leaking?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Speedracer800, May 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    #1 Speedracer800, May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like the ac compressor? Is it filled with a lubricant or something that's leaking?? I feel a little bit silly asking but I'm not very familiar with this system. This is the bottom side of the engine with the belly pan removed and car on the lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does it have a belt attached to it? On the 430 that's where the AC compressor is located

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yes.. I'm pretty sure it's the ac compressor.. But leaking green fluid like this?

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That's oil to lubricate the system. You need to add oil, as well as refrigerant when you recharge the system. The seals are gone in that compressor. Replace, and recharge.

5. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Its leaking compressor oil. It's added with the gas.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You can have it rebuilt for much less than it costs to replace.

7. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Shoot mine leaks too.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They are a piece of crap. They all leak or soon will. Rebuilding is cheap.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think mine was around 300, a lot better than 1000+ for a new one.

10. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the information. I later found this post on another forum with a link to a seemingly reputable rebuilding service in the US. Anyone ever use these guys? How long can you go before completing destroying the compressor I wonder.. I'd much rather take on this project over the winter :/

Has anyone ever pulled one of these things out? I'm wondering if this is a job I can take on myself..

Here's the link:
    360 air conditioning compressor

11. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a leak of clear oil under my car as I finished the timing belts. So I've been watching this. I plan to take mine out myself and ship it to a company in California that I found says they rebuild them for about $240. I found a shop local that will vac and fill it for me for about $150. That seems like a good deal to me.
    http://www.compressor-intl.com/ He said they have done many Ferrari 360's FWIW.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It will quit being cold long before you hurt the compressor.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That's from dye, not oil. Adding oil at the recharge will just eventually end up with too much oil and the A/C will not work as well. If there is no oil leak, do not add oil. When the compressor is replaced with a dry one put in the oil needed for the compressor only.

14. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Removing the AC unit is not that hard. I think the Alternator needs to be moved too. I took both out and had both rebuilt. Having a car lift is a Big Big Help!!!!

Had a local shop remove the Freon and then evacuate the system before recharging, adding the oil.

Good Luck!!!

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No need to pull alternator. Its on the other side.

16. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the help guys!

So you don't need to do anything regarding the oil or freon before unhooking the hoses etc to remove? I'll probably wait till "the off season" to tackle the project and I do have a lift and can get easy access so judging by the feedback I'm getting here I'm fairly certain I'll take on the job myself. Just want to gather up some information in advance. Thanks again!

17. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    If your system is still charged (holding pressurized Freon), then have a professional evacuate it. Don't just start disconnecting the hoses. The freon is under pressure and will do bad things if suddenly released in your face (i.e. really bad things to unprotected eyes).

If your system is already empty, then you can just start disconnecting the hoses.

To test for pressurization, you can get a set of Manifold gauges fairly cheaply. Or possibly borrow a set from Autozone or other car parts retailer.

Sid

18. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Great information.. Thank you! I've never torn an ac system apart and it's pretty unfamiliar with me. I'm confident that I can swap out the parts but the freon aspect is totally outta my wheel house.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You don't ever vent the freon. It is against the law and REALLY bad for the environment. Have it pumped down. Honestly, that kind of work isn't too hard but you need the right equipment. I suggest that you have someone do that work who is properly set up to do it.