Low Octane Non-ethanol Gasoline Availability | FerrariChat

Low Octane Non-ethanol Gasoline Availability

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chipbiii, May 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Has anyone else noticed this? Recently, in my city area of Columbia, SC I have found that the few gas stations that offer non-ethanol gasoline now tell me that the octane rating has dropped to 90 or less. I used to purchase 92 or 93 octane versions of this. Now it seems no one is selling the higher octane rated ethanol free gas.

If this is the case what do we do? Buy higher octane ethanol stuff or the lower ethanol free gas? Any thoughts?

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
  3. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Thanks for the info. I noticed a station in Aiken had 93 but my real question is this: Why would a gas station offer low octane ethanol free if the majority of cars wanting ethanol free are the high performance variety? So again, should we just purchase Premium ethanol or is 90 octane ethanol free good enough for Ferraris?

4. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Around bodies of water, usually you can find ethanol free 93 octane.

Some pumps offer ethanol free in 87-90 octane for lawn equipment.

5. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

You could try the 90 octane with a booster, Torco, Klutz and even VP fuels offer octane boosters. What has been the noticeable issues, if any with the 90 octane?

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

why would you run ethanol free in a 360?

Or are you pumping this into something else?

D

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The only two choices I have found in my area are 90 octane ethanol free for about one dollar per gallon over the cost of premium 93 octane with 10% ethanol content, or 100 octane "race fuel" for about $9 per gallon.

IIRC, the "104 Octane Booster" type additives only bump it up a few tenths of a percent, not to 104 Octane as the name implies. So the additive will take 90 octane ethanol free fuel to 90.4 or something like that. And the octane boosters are usually made with........ethanol, lol!
    Alden

8. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    #8 JCR, May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The eepah is pushing "more corn flakes, igor", but that was before the change in leadership.

Yes, a lot of E0 gas is lower octane, because it's often used in lawn mowers, generators, and other smaller carb'd engines that don't need a lot of octane, and don't do well with ethanol.
    (E.g. seasonal engines where the ethanol gas will go bad faster.)

The list is pretty accurate for TN. (Check the "last updated" dates.)
    Six "real gas" stations in my town.

While the Sunoco in town only carries 87 octane, there are other stations carrying 87,89, and 93 octane E0.
    And one "tire shop" (redneck racer) shop carries 95 and 101 octane real gas.
    But then, TN is one of the States inclined to tell the Feds to stuff it. ;)

I don't worry too much about E10 in my 328, because I had most of the fuel hoses replaced back in 2000 on an engine-out "make it right" service.
    But the Spica Alfa doesn't like any water in the fuel system, so I prefer E0 there -- and the 11.5:1 compression wants at least 89 octane.

11. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    It's better for the engine.

12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Ethanol-free gasoline is indeed better for the elastomers (seals, hoses) in the fuel system, but these components in the 360 were designed to be compatible with E10. I would thus put a lot more emphasis on the octane because if it is too low, you'll get knock (or for cars with knock sensors, it cuts back the timing thus cutting back on power).

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I'd checked that site before and hadn't found a station in my area but this thread prompted me to check again and now they're showing a station selling lower octane E0! I'll definitely try it in the daily driver truck. It'd be worth going a little out of the way and paying an additional few cents a gallon to get higher energy density and to take a few pennies out of Monsanto's pocket, since their tirele$$ lobbying effort$ are why ethanol was shoved down our throats in the first place.