Installed Fabspeed headers and cat-delete pipes ... now too loud | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Installed Fabspeed headers and cat-delete pipes ... now too loud

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    doing the Fabspeed headers, keeping everything else stock on my CS. Will let you know how loud when I pick up the car next week ;)

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    At the end of all this, I may be at the same point you are ... i.e., Fabspeed headers and stock cats. I have the Ferrari "racing" exhaust and that is same as is on the CS.

Steve

3. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Bisel, I have Fabspeed headers for with blankets on my 360, hyperflow cars and the Ferrari racing exhaust and in the opinion of fellow Ferrari owners in Denver, my car sounds awesome.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hope to learn what that setup sounds like with my 360 ... except with resonators in place of the cats. I am hypothesizing that your cats are, acousticaly, acting like resonators.

Steve

5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Cats baffle, resonators muffle. I think you will find they sound quite different. They certainly did on my 360. Cats all the way. Everyone said it sounded bad with the resonators. When the sports cats went on everyone said wow.

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    This is all very good dialogue. We're very open to anyone experimenting with our components to find a sound level that you find suitable. If anyone would like to try our Sport Catalytic Converters and give feedback please reach out via PM and we'll take care of you in exchange for your input. Thanks!

-Mike in Marketing

7. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What would reduce the volume more? Using straight through exhaust (after market header, no cats, no muffler) as a baseline

1) Adding sports cats
    2) Adding the valves back to the tail pipe to use mufflers at low rpm

8. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #33 Fabspeed Motorsport, May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We incorporate 200 cell HJS HD catalysts into our sport cats (photo below for visual reference). They flow very well and do allow for a good amount of volume to get through while doing a great job of preventing rasp. Mufflers are designed to do exactly what their name implies - mute sound (and cancel out unwanted frequencies to prevent drone). You would most likely experience a greater increase in sound reduction through mufflers.

-Mike in Marketing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, Mike. I think I will go with valving back my tail pipes then, as I dont mind being obnoxiously loud, but do want to enjoy the windows up highway driving too in peace.

10. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    My car is apart for upgrades currently, but I have another brand sport cars going on. 430 exhaust on mine, stock headers, and Steve's valve controllers!

Let me know if you would like me to help test the sport cats

11. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I should have the 12" resonators installed in the cat test pipes tomorrow. If this mod is disappointing to me I will be coming back to talk about the sport cats

Steve

12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #37 bisel, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    I recorded a short video yesterday with my iPhone. It actually sounds better on the video than in actual fact. I believe too much raspiness in the exhaust sound. The video was merely a hand held iPhone will driving a city street in Scottsdale. Engine revs between 2500 to 7500 RPM. Obviously, taken from driver's position, windows open.

Here is the Youtube link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ptI8pBjUuow

When I get the resonators installed I will do this again and post another to make comparison.

Configuration:
    - Ferrari 360, 2004 model year
    - Fabspeed headers
    - Fabshpeed cat test pipe (i.e., no catalytic converters)
    - Ferrari racing exhaust with bypass valves forced open using a Forza Exhaust Controller

Steve

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have to disagree ... a bit ... resonators change the sound, they are not supposed to muffle. It is likely that the sound will be different between cats and resonators. Resonators are typically used in partnership with mufflers to suppress excessive noise. The purpose of a resonator is to cancel certain ranges of sound frequencies ... not to necessaryly quiet the sound, although the overall effect when combined with a muffler is to do that. I am hoping to eliminate the higher pitch raspy sound and to also eliminate the "drone" that occurs when the exhaust bypass are open and steady RPM on highway.

Now that said, on the 360 cat test pipes, I only have room to add a 12" resonator. Resonators come in longer lengths to filter different frequencies. Because of the limitation I have with only a 12" length, I will not have the luxury of trying different lengths. I am hoping to achieve a better exhaust tone with a bit less volume and to filter out the higher frequency raspy sound I have now. I will let you know the outcome.

Steve

14. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Wow, that only starts to sound good in high rpm

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Exactly what I was thinking. At lower RPM sounds much too raspy. At higher RPM is really screams and sounds pretty good. I hope after resonator mod, it continues to sound good at higher RPM.

I will post another clip when I can.

Steve

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Just saying what I experienced. The resonators I had were designed to look like sports cats, so only about 6" long. They were louder than cats but killed the high pitch sound.

17. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Do you get a snap-crackle-pop sound on throttle-off when you remove the cats (in conjunction with less restrictive muffler)?

18. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I do. With the bypass valves open, I get snap crackle pop burble when coming off the throttle. With valves closed don't hear them.

Steve

19. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Let me know if I can help you make some noise! :)

20. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes you do, my Challenge is cat free and makes all the right sounds on and off the throttle.

21. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #46 bisel, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In my previous posts I described that I installed Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed cat test pipes on my 360 with the Ferrari racing exhaust setup. It was too loud and the tone of the exhaust was very raspy. I was disappointed.

I decided to install a short resonator in each of the cat test pipes. I used Vibrant 12" resonators. The photo below is a PhotoShop image of what I intended. The second photo is the actual test pipes with the resonator tack welded in place so we could do a test fit.

The result was very good. The resonators eliminated the raspy exhaust sound and toned things down a bit as well. I can say that now it is far less obnoxious ... but still retains the sound that I like. Oh, by the way, I still retain the snap, crackle, pop and burbles when you back off the exhaust. I even get the occasional flames shooting out the exhaust tips. I will make a short video in the next day or so and post it on YourTube with a link.

My only problem is that I am getting Check Engine Light. I have the Fabspeed O2 extender with mini cats, but they do not seem to prevent the CEL. Would like to learn how others may have prevented CEL without any catalytic converters. I get P0421 code in Bank 1 and P0431 code in bank 2. I have read that these codes which relate to Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency below threshold are the result of cat deletes. Short of tune would love to hear if anyone has avoided these CEL issues.

My conclusions and recommendations from all of this ...
    - If you are going with headers and cat delete, you should expect very loud exhaust and more than likely a raspy sound.
    - Resonators really do a good job toning down the exhaust note and eliminating the raspy tenor.
    - If Fabspeed is listening, they should offer the cat test pipes with an option to include resonators. It makes a huge difference.
    - If you were to use high-flow cats, I expect the difference in sound level would be similar.
    - I have the Forza exhaust controller which is really a great for opening the bypass valves at lower speeds to hear the sound at all engine RPM.

Steve

22. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Can't wait to hear it as I'm putting on my high flows as we speak with similar Ferrari racing exhaust, just no headers

23. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Did your car make it to Andys.....

24. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The OE cats are aweful, seem better as a BBQ than as a cat,

OMG.......That's the single best statement of the year!!!!!!!!!

25. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Yes ... was there all day yesterday ... actually helped out. Installed resonators and sound much better. The A/C was simply that they forgot to plug it in when they installed the headers. Made the electrical connection and all is better now with the A/C.

Steve