Clear Film Entire 488 GTB? | FerrariChat

Clear Film Entire 488 GTB?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, May 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would appreciate any opinions on whether or not I should clear film my entire car or just the front and rocker panels. Has anyone done their entire car? If so, are you happy you did? Also, I plan on using Suntek Ultra. Thank you.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've seen 458's that have been done top to bottom and it was really nice. Myself, I'd also test all the films firsthand before making any decisions, but that's just me.

Ray

3. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    I for one have been saved two times. One on the door with some one else's white/grey paint and one on the mirror against garage door... ;) the paint was removed with polish and scratched disappeared next day. ;)

4. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I've always done my front end but plan on doing my entire 488 Spider when it arrives. I've always used XPEL in the past but have heard amazing things about Suntek ultra so I just found an installer to do my entire tesla p100d and I have to say it looks better than Xpel (clearer and zero orange peal). It also has a 10 year warranty and self heals.

5. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    I did my entire 488 Spider with Suntek Clear Stealth which turned the Canna De Fucile stock color to a really sweet matte finish. Entire car is protected. No worries for the up and coming track days :)

If I was not going with the matte finish, I would have only done front Clip, Side Splitters, and Mirrors.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBN-yklJOwc&t=1s[/ame]

6. Fezza123

Fezza123 Rookie

Jul 16, 2016
    I haven't in the past but I am going for a full paint protection film for the 488 this time....I'm in the UK and will be using Topaz Detailing.

Don't know exactly what the film is called but very thin, very clear and 'self healing' with heat

7. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    I did the full cover on both my 488 GTB and the Spider. I used ChipGuard in the UK and although I cannot comment on other suppliers, I have been very pleased. The latest version had an extra layer in it and did not need a ceramic layer added. And less than Topaz.

In the UK I believe it is a must. That and a lifter. Where I am, potholes and stray branches are everywhere.

Hope that helps.

8. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Would be very interested to know the difference in price for full cover between Topaz & ChipGuard.

9. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham

I had the entire car filmed on my new Spider. I'm really pleased with the job and to be honest you'd be very hard pressed to know it had been filmed unless you examine it very closely. As said by others, in the UK I think it is a must due to the dreadful state of our roads and instances of stones flying up from the surface. A little investment now may save a lot of cost later if you have to get a panel or two resprayed - and if you have a special paint or three layer finish then getting an exact match for a respray or touch up may be very difficult.

I think it is a good investment to protect the car - and get it done immediately the car arrives and don't drive it on the roads beforehand if you can avoid it. I was lucky in that my car came without any surface marks or chips (given that all cars are road tested at the factory and again by the supplying dealer when it is PDI'd) so if you can avoid any more road driving before getting it filmed so much the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    My car went direct from the dealer to the fitter, so no chance of a chip before the film was put on. It also meant I had a second opinion on the dealer detailing done on the car before the PPF was fitted.

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I used Xpel on my Stingray and plan to do the front, rocker panels, mirrors and hood on my upcoming 488 GTB. It makes clean up so easy. Saved a door hit without a mark.

12. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Whatever you decide to do take your time on selecting an installer. I found most of the films are comparable in quality but the application varies widely.

The installer I settled on applied film on just the front of the car, mirrors and rocker panels. He then applied CQuartz Finest Reserve ceramic coating over all of the car. I looked at the section of the car where the front fender meets the door and I can't see the film at all (XPel).

My installer told me he has had many cars in where he had to replace old films due to poor application. This included XPel, SunTek, etc.

Good luck.

13. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    @PAwolfpacker This is absolutely the truth. The installer is the number one thing I consider and main reason I had the guy do my tesla with Suntek before I would trust him with my 488. My usual shop (the big high end one in town) has moved to an unknown film they distribute which has no history and I had heard great things about suntek but only one guy in town uses it. He spent a full week in it and I have to say it looks better than any wrap job I've had done.

14. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I like doing it with black cars.

Never having to worry about swirls, etc. is well worth the cost.

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Done it on just about all my cars and used varying products and as some have said, get the best in the biz to install it. My guy hand cuts every piece (does not use templates) and although expensive the job is always outstanding.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for all the great feedback.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+1 my 458 spider in Nero is completely covered in clear bra except for the retractable roof and the engine cover . Easily maintained and always looks clean. No swirls !

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I only did it on the hood, the front bumper, the front fenders, the headlights, the mirrors, the door jabs and edges of the doors, the lower sill. I also did my CF inside door sills as they tend to get scuffed.

I don't see the point of the rear, the deck lid, the rear 3/4 and the roof.

Then again I had a red car instead of black. I won't have black car as it always looks dirty to me.

19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I did the same. Not the whole car. With as much as these cars are driven, probably not necessary to do the whole car.

20. Fezza123

Fezza123 Rookie

Jul 16, 2016
    Topaz do all of HR Owens new car prep, and correct a lot of the imperfections that come out of the factory, so that bits free the full PPF is £5900 ouch, but a must as I'm not to precious about the car and often find paw prints all over it if I've parked it somewhere...plus it protects the paint from bird crap, pollen etc etc

21. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    Did they have to remove body panels for the full body wrap?

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I wouldn't allow that. I had my entire car done and did not allow them to remove anything- shields, panels, bumpers.

23. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    In certain areas when you tuck edges, you can get "stress" creases in the PPF from the expansion/contraction/movement of body panels. On the hood you can tuck edges without issue but as others have said, I would recommend against it. My .02