New Ford GT | Page 61 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

It does have a full FIA approved roll cage built in.

2. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Why are you surprised? It's heavier and has less power.

None of the hydraulic elements are on the racecar. These systems are heavy and control the variable ride height (to lower the car for increased on track performance, and a very quick front lift system for more clearance on the street), power steering, rear wing, and front shutters.

I think the main complaint about streetability is noise since most reviews praise the cars ride quality. It's probably more like an Elise or F40 than a quiet NSX or 488. Most people say they want a "racecar for the street" but really want a high performing street car. An Elise isn't for everyone but I know a lot of people who daily drive them despite their road noise, lack of comfort and amenities, no luggage room, and difficulty getting in and out of them.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why are you saying it is a big car? It is tiny. Look at the frontal area schematic!

Pete

4. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Agree....like many others have said, it's one thing to talk the talk about race car for the street and another to walk the walk and own one. Ferrari created the F40 (and F50) and for all intents and purposes cannot/will not build another one in spirit. This is Ferrari, the car company that many allege can sell anything to anyone sight unseen....

Props to Ford for building a proper hardcore car. Lost in all of this recent hype was how kick ass the 2005 GT was. I got to drive one once with only a Ford Racing exhaust as a mod, and it was one of, if not the most fun car I've ever driven (including a 512 TR and Diablo). It had many of the charming elements of the old Italian exotics with respect to being visceral, primal, etc. I loved the doors and the dash, and anyone who doesn't dig it isn't a hardcore car person, IMHO. The shifter and clutch had excellent weighting, with no pretense of being an NSX or BMW. The noise of the blower and the torque were extremely enjoyable.

I'm curious where the new FGT stacks up with respect to the older one in these areas? Sure it is faster, will out handle the old car, better brakes, has better steering feel, but what about the rest? People still clamor for F40s while a mere F430 can replicate the performance.

On a track the new car is probably more fun, but what about 6-8 tenths on the road?

Either way, two homeruns by Ford, 12 years apart....not to mention the not so shabby original GT40. :)

BTW, the sound of the new one is decent. Not awe inspiring like the '05 or an Italian exotic but good enough that I won't bash it.

Another random opportunity to bash the Viper V10.....lol.

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Just going off looks not measurements. When I first saw it, it was nearby to 570 and new nsx and it looked huge in comparison. Very long and wide despite being low. it probably weighs over 3300 lbs so petite, its not

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    How many laps can a 675 LT sustain at full tilt. We have lots of cars that can do 1 or 2 fast laps.

Can the Fgt run a whole summer at full tilt with fluid and pad changes, can a 675 Lt.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I just took my elise to an apointment this am, every corner was fun, even if I had to hold back before a bend to make a traffic gap it was worth it. There is so much to be said for driving a "live" car. If you have driven most moderns you dont even know what that is, regardless of their power and grip.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    elise is the best. always loved it on street but its taken me a very very long time to get used to it on track (3 yrs!) having come from high power cars in past but it now amazes me on every track day.

i could care less about lap times and giving point byes to faster cars. its all about the momentum and pleasure of perfect steering, throttle rspns, brakes, peddles, etc. and then on top of it all, no worries about anything overheating or wearing out.

only down side is that its very uncomfortable on the 3 plus hr drives to and from track. if i could only get a cruise control and more comfortable drivers seat but havent been able to get those to work out yet

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  10. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Where did you see this?

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've thought about this the last few days and it wouldn't surprise me if the mid engined corvette out gunned the Ford GT in hp, had a more desirable engine, sounded better, was faster, handled just as well and was 30% the price. I can't imagine it will look nearly as great but it's interesting to think about.

15. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Everybody gets it Jo, you're not a fan.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But won nothing ... :(

Pete

17. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    You've described the position the ZO6 has had in the market for years relative to most Ferraris and other exotics. Everyone understands that the ZO6 is a great value, yet it doesn't seem to deter people from buying supercars.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Huge fan.....you haven't read my posts I take it. Best looking car of the decade.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well no, I'm not saying it would make ppl regret buying the Ford GT. Just that's it's an interesting thought to be able to buy all that mid engined performance for a potentially great price. Unless Chevy goes the Ford GT route and charges a half a mil.

20. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Which they most certainly will not.

21. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    Did you make the same post in the 488 section? Because the Corvette will most certainly be a lot closer to the build quality of the Ferrari than the Ford, so it's a more natural comparison.

22. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    An underdrive SC pulley would slow the blower (and the car) down. Underdriven accessory pulleys and a smaller, overdriven blower pulley are what boosts power to the wheels. Sorry to be pedantic!

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes, youre correct. I used wrong term.

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No I did not. Are you taking a shot at Ferrari or Ford here (I assume Ferrari)?

25. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    The Viper ACR is faster than all said cars on track. Most people don't seem to care. It's not an "exotic", a homologation special like the FGT, and apparently isn't that much more special than a Z06 to keep the car alive, which is a shame.

I guess the success of a car has a lot more to do with subjective elements than objective performance.