Transport from Montreal to Texas cost? | FerrariChat

Transport from Montreal to Texas cost?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Yassa, May 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Hi all,

looking for a good company to move my 355 from Montreal, I was quoted 5k by one company just now, seems a bit steep..but maybe its correct. Does this seem fair?

Any info will be helpful.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Seems a bit high. Contact TFX International they are the MASTERS at cross border shipping of cars.

3. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
  4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I am having a car shipped from Vancouver B.C. to Tennessee this next week. I am using this company as they were highly recommended, you might see what they come back with on a quote.

https://www.batsmotorsports.com

5. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Ferrari of Alberta in Calgary shipped my car from there to Ottawa, they used TFX as it is the official transporter for Ferrari in Canada is what the dealer told me. The cost for me was about $2800. So from MTL to Texas, it sounds about right.

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
  7. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I have shipped 3 cars with Chris Martino from Car Shipping Services - Auto Transport Company | Number 1 Auto Transport. Extremely impressed with their service and communication. They shipped my 328 from Larue, Texas to St. Albans, Vermont (only 1 hour from Montreal) for $2,100 in an enclosed trailer. Pm me if you want more information. You might save money by not having the shipping company deal with the border crossing. I'd offer my address for a pickup point if you are interested.

PJ

8. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I have shipped 3 cars with Chris Martino from Car Shipping Services - Auto Transport Company | Number 1 Auto Transport. Extremely impressed with their service and communication. They shipped my 328 from Larue, Texas to St. Albans, Vermont (only 1 hour from Montreal) for $2,100 in an enclosed trailer. Pm me if you want more information. You might save money by not having the shipping company deal with the border crossing. I'd offer my address for a pickup point if you are interested.

PJ

9. cclassics

cclassics Rookie

Jun 21, 2016
    Langley
    thats definitely on the high side.. is that $5k cdn or USD? as thats a big difference now

that should be about $2600 - 2800 usd to move - brokerage is about $200 usd- if its 5k cdn and that included brokerage its not that far off- the place arranging it is adding their cut and that would make sense-- now if its 5k usd its way high.

is the car staying there? if so and its going to have duty to go south- if its being US plated..

i just brought a car from St louis to Van - 2600 usd brokerage was 200..
    uscanadaautotransport- they are based out of San diego but contract it out-

prices also can change to higher if you wanted it left in one enclosed carrier the whole way - most shippers will swap to another trailer going that direction over a cross country trip-

10. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Thank you all for the info. I have reached out to TFX international and negotiating a much more reasonable price (sub 3000$).

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That sounds steep.

I had mine shipped from Portland Oregon to Port Huron Michigan for $1800.

That was almost 9 years ago, but I doubt it's tripled since.

12. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    FCA members save 10% with TFX. I paid for my membership twice by shipping one car 3600 km across Canada.

TFX will confirm your membership with FCA.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It is important to note that there are big differences between the licenses needed the moment you cross a border and this translates into your final shipping price. Shipping from say Texas to Detroit, or Texas to Windsor Ontario (another 10 miles) is a totally different animal in the amount of paperwork that is required, waiting time for the driver at customs, and licenses to even carry out the importation.

I was told by TFX for instance (note this was a couple of years back so the rules may have changed) that they are not allowed to pick up a car in the US and move it to another US city even though they are fully allowed to move from Canada to the US and vice-versa. It is a minefield of regulations and TFX really have the cross-border thing down. I twice have had a car shipped to the US and have recommended many friends to have cars both imported and exported to Canada all will glowing recommendations. The guys at TFX have a good reputation for a reason.

14. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    It's a form of job protection. It covers all loads a trucker might haul not just vehicles. A Canadian driver can't pick up and drop off a load within the us it needs to be a load that's crossing the boarder. Otherwise it's a load an amaerican driver could deliver and they protect amaerican jobs just as we protect Canadian jobs.

15. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Thanks all. I went with TFX International. Car's awaiting shipment. I'll post back one I get it.

16. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Just an update, car arrived safely with no issues. The pick up time was about a week off from the estimate given, the drop off was exactly on the estimated drop date. The driver was very professional and kept me up to date via phone calls and txt messages. The total cost was 2535$ USD, which was very reasonable. I highly recommend TFX international. Thanks to those who recommended them :)