12 Sexiest Warbirds... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

12 Sexiest Warbirds...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, May 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Steve sent me some stuff showing the feasibility study of operating P51's from carriers. It was done by test pilots but I guess there was zero margin on traps so they thought better of it.

Mustang with a tail hook? What were they thinking?

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Sparky! Do I have to learn you all over again? It's simple! You put your foot on lever A then leve'r B.

3. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm too besot tonight to go into detail but you ww2 aviation guys should do a Google search on ww2 aviation fuel. The axis countries had amazing technology (really, Germany) to make synthetic fuel and oil from coal. The Japanese were making aviation fuel from plant matter near the end. Another super cool thing I learned recently...proximity fuses for artillery....the technology was as guarded as nuclear technology. Must sleep now.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Believe it or not Brian, it was serious: they even has selected a Name for it, it should have been called the Seahorse. No kidding.

Rgds

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Operation Torch. Some video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJhUDHS8WY

The perfect solution to Porsche's Panzerwagons.

It would have been neat to live in a time period where you could actually see what you were shooting at.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Some more information for the P-51 buffs here:

Mustang! - Documents

Rgds

7. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The US captured that crap. It was garbage.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Tougher nut to crack, given the higher oxygen content of biomass versus coal. German tech was better though. Used coal as the carbon source IIRC. Fischer Tropsch, Bergius process, etc...T

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oh I know. I saw a lot of photos. Bringing them aboard was considered to require too high a level of expertise and precision to consider for average pilots under combat conditions. As Steve can tell you, slow flight is not one of their strengths. I know a few ex carrier pilots. Not a good place for a fussy airplane.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep...at low speed, the P-51 can be quite a handful. Not That I know firsthand...unfortunately.
    Rgds

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I saw P-51 execute a high speed stall at low altitude and it was impossible to tell what was happening because of the rapid gyrations and tumbling that continued until it hit the ground. Any WWII fighter was a hand full when the lift quits.

12. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Howdy Tex. Junkstang buzzing right along. What a truly great airplane it has been. 34 years and counting. How you doing down Texas way?

13. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    That wing do not like to go 2 slo as many have found out. Coming aboard in a Mustang would be a rather hairy affair methinks. Have watched your short cd...its a riot with some of the engineer stuff. Try to view the 2 hr affair today.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Glad that you enjoyed the DVD of my Boeing talk. It covered 45 years of my blatant disregard for normalcy. Because of my great performance in it the company would not clear it for the general public consumption. Somebody also mentioned that there may have been some proprietary issues or something. The art show DVD is better according to my wife because it concentrates on art instead of me but anyhow I narrated 24 paintings and made up some great stories. The guy that shot it made up the title, " Stories At The Schack." (Schack Art Center.) Sort of an impromptu thing but with a huge and great cast...three Boeing engineers that were coerced with a free print to do it. Sort of a Trump thing. I have been urged to put it on YouTube so that might happen if it is good enough but first, I have to hire a front gal and a press secretary..

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It's great. Come on down. I'll make you a Margarita and get you some BBQ.

16. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Had a chance to hop a ride to the Breckenridge warbird dealy this weekend in a B25, but didnt work out. Have no idea how far that is from you. Texas being Texas being spread out all over hell. On the floor reading Bobs previous post. 'Blatant disregard for normalcy'. Hes a fing riot.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Glad to see your posting again. We have missed you and your unique Italian style of murdering the English langridge. Too bad that you missed your B-25 flight because it's a fun airplane in which to ride and I hear very good to fly, too. I had a flight in one some years ago that was operated by a bunch of crazies from Wyoming. It had the side mounted gun packs that were fixed up with acetylene firing. When they arrived at Boeing Field they taxied by the show line and fired the guns. We got them parked and three Boeing junior execs came up and asked if they could hear the guns again. The pilot told them to stand directly in front of the airplane about 20 feet away so that they could get the "full affect".The B-25 guys didn't bother to tell the bigwigs that the nose gun was a giant water pistol and sure enough, the Brooks Brothers suits got thoroughly hosed down as well as the guys wearing them. An absolute riot!

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Don't forget PanzerKampfWagen, which translates to "Armored Battle Car", which we would refer to as a Tank.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There are many, many more...

Rgds

20. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #95 sparky p-51, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yeah! I always liked them P-41's.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I just noticed that P-41 was one of the" Fuzzy Tail " variety and they are VERY SCARCE. That's the first one Iv'e ever seen.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No dorsal fin from the vertical stabilizer, either, but that came later, like it did on the P-47D25s (retrofitted) and later models.

24. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Looks like a compresability there. Junkstang was a fast little bugger.

25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Reading this thread and watching all the videos is so much fun. Thanks to all for sharing and your humor as well as teaching me a thing or two.