F355 5.2 Engine/ECU Harness Change | FerrariChat

F355 5.2 Engine/ECU Harness Change

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, May 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just wondering if anyone has attempted to change the ECU harness on a 355 without pulling the engine out? I discovered one of the previous owners had fitted the wrong one (and is also showing signs of damaged insulation and numerous repairs). I've ordered a new one, but it has to come from the factory, so may take a while to arrive. In the meantime, I pulled the cover off the engine "V", but it offered limited access. Also, it looks like it will be a nightmare to pull through the firewall.

A while ago, I saw a forum message thread on fitting an inline disconnect, but I can't find it again. I was thinking about fitting an aircraft-grade plug, but I'm not sure if I want to try it on a new harness... maybe practice on the old one.

Any tips (e.g. don't do it!)? :D

Thanks,
    Cheers
    Ian

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    impossible

3. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Remove gas tank and middle console only and u will be able to remove the wires. The rest are just plastic Riggs and 8/10 mm nuts

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, gents... I don't have the facilities for removing the gas tank, so I'm going with Mitchell on this one :D It's good to know there are alternatives, however, and may be a cheaper option if the harness gets worse prior to my next major.

Cheers.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I could not do it. It was very difficult just to get it in and out while doing the engine.
    I am withMitchell not a chance. Mine was very stiff and not very flexible.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Grant.

Saving my pennies for my first major... :D

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Gents... Just received my new harness in the mail from Eurospares. I was surprised at how flexible it is. I'm wondering if heat and age make them so unmanageable. When I saw how small the Ferrari box was, I started to wonder if they'd sent the right harness, but it was in there and completely unstressed/unforced.

I won't take any chances, though :D

Cheers
    Ian