308 values | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 values

Discussion in '308/328' started by Philly, May 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    I just sold my 550 or actually traded it for the 308qv and a 360 Modena ... I had to add a little cash as both cars I bought are quite nice and just serviced ... I loved the 550 65 degree v12 torque ... but I didn't love driving the car ... Very civilized ... Somewhat sterile compared with mid and rear engine cars ... But a great gentleman's Ferrari ... Get some seat time before buying one ... They're awesome but not for everybody ...

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I still posit that the modern Ferrari lure draws many from the classics like our 308s. I test drove a 355 and a 360 recently as the urge almost made me sell. Luckily I drove my 308 to test drive both and when I got back in it post test drive I remember thinking I had gotten back into a real Ferrari. Some would not make the same decision. With the high production numbers of the 355-458 etc it's gonna have a counterbalancing effect that will trim the sails of soaring 308 prices IMO.

3. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I agree that there is cross shopping between 308s and the more modern cars, particularly among those who have a budget for only one or two "toy" cars. Personally I try to figure out how to get the most enjoyment from my automotive budget, and that often involves weighing the allure of modern performance and driveability against the charm and user involvement offered by more vintage machinery.

Although I will say that if anything the rise in 308 values has helped solidify my intent to keep the car indefinitely. This is partially because I feel I would eventually regret selling it and then find myself unable to buy back in due to rising values.

4. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Though I have a 328 and not a 308, I have a perspective on cross-shopping / comparison with newer cars given that I just bought a 360. At no time in buying the 360 did it occur to me to sell the 328 as part of doing so (I realize I am blessed in this and many other regards and owning two of these cars is not an option for some folks). And, that said, now owning both, as folks above have suggested, they are totally different cars and I would say scratch an entirely different itch. The long and short of it is, if I absolutely had to keep only one of the two, I would have a hard time making the choice but I would keep the 328; it is simpler, smaller, and to me more what a sports car should be. And, though underpowered by modern standards, it has plenty of get-up and go to have fun on public roads but not get yourself in trouble unless you do something really stupid.

5. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I have a scuderia and a 308 QV. I would have a big delema to choose if I had to sell one of them.

6. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a 427 Cobra and a 308 GT4 and I love both of them for different reasons. The Cobra is a sledge hammer. Although it handles extremely well, it is a very physical car and in outright performance, there are very few cars that can compete with it. The Dino on the other hand is a scalpel and has much more modest performance by comparison. But I like that the performance envelope is more exploitable and the handling has real finesse and beautiful balance.
    I really didn't expect to like the Dino as much as I do and I'd have a real hard time parting with it now. An added bonus is that my wife also loves it, although she can't drive it because she says that she can't press the clutch pedal.....maybe that's a good thing. ;)

Paul

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    When shopping for my first Ferrari, I "cross-shopped" the 308 and 360. (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/546683-brian-%96-four-years-308-ownership.html).

Initially, performance and maintenance didn’t factor much into my selection process; I assumed Ferraris were all the same. I did look deeper before I bought, and the differences became clearer, but I imagine a lot of people buy their first Ferrari without much intensive research. A big barrier to cross-shopping is that 308s much be purchased through private sales and niche vendors (the 328 you have for sale looks awesome!) while 360s and newer can be purchased at a dealership. Walking into a dealership is much easier than scouring eBay ads.

I am not sure anyone outside of the tifosi really divide “classic” from “modern”. The recent change in Fiat Chrysler Automobili stock ownership, the heavy marketing of the brand through Ferrari Lifestyle stores and the coming-of-age (e.g. Ford) / reemergence (e.g. Mercedes) of many modern road race (Le Mans etc.) car developers has changed the status of Ferrari “brand” in the market place. The 3x8 harkens from the day when Saint Enzo was still alive and Ferrari was a scrappy little race team fighting everyone including its majority shareholder. “Ferrari” meant something back then; now not so much. The sun set on that era in 1988.

8. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I dunno about that. Ride with me in a new one at the next Casa Ferrari event in Carmel. Ferrari still means something, I assure you.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, I may have said it too stongly. One of the main points I was suggesting was that the playing field has leveled at that upper echelon. I've driven a new California T and it was everything people say about it. I have also driven a new BMW M6. Its "up there."

I look forward to Car Week. Hutch stiill owes me a ride in his GTE. I'm skipping Concorso Italiano this year; going to the track instead.

10. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How about a picture, Phil?

11. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    #61 vroomgt, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    So far l believe this car to be the record holder -excluding Michelotto Rally cars...

Gooding Auction Scottsdale 2016 $357500

Currently there is a less than 30k kilometre car for sale in Australia for similar money.

Australian delivered Glass car and therefore no dry sump.

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm pretty sure that the red one in Melbourne sold for full asking price of $AUD399,000.00. Australian way sump

13. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So, amongst the unwashed masses, what then is the preference? The 360?

14. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Kevin...I had a similar discussion with Terry (Exotic Coach) this past Friday and his preference (despite still requiring a belt service) is the 360. He sees a lot of 430's coming in with a lot of niggling issues, and the 348's/355's are well known for theirs. If I was in the position to make the jump up (E.G. sell my 308!), I'd search for a 360 3-pedal.