C-5. It's big, and it's slow | Page 2 | FerrariChat

C-5. It's big, and it's slow

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I live right on the flight line here in Pensacola Florida near the Navy Base. I have watched and felt the Blue Angels and everything else you can imagine come in to land since I was a kid. However.....I have NEVER heard anything like a C5 coming in just a few hundred feet over my house a few months back. My son was a little over a year old at the time and taking a nap. It grew so loud I almost started to run to grab him and get out of the house because I figured whatever was coming was going through my roof. As it passed over I went out the back door and saw a C5 crawling on it's way in to the base. The sound was nothing like a F18 or F35......more like a shrill scream that I can't forget. Impressive to say the least.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Clearly one of the old-engined aircraft. The new ones will sound more like a 747, not as loud and not shrill.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I've heard a Russian An-124 fly over, land and take off close up.

Both here DEN and at IAH Houston.
    They carried rockets from Martin Marietta here to Florida.

It is very loud and very different sound... maybe like your C-5.

It has a sound unlike any other, flying over at whatever altitude (20k?).

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Interesting...I see the An-124 at Orlando International Airport every so often and never thought about that. My friend's dad is the president of Lockheed's MEADS (also in Orlando) so I figured they had a big presence in Orlando but not big enough to need an An-124 LOL.

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

AN-124s would land at Richmond occasionally... the story was they loaded it up with cigarettes then back home.

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It definitely would have been. There are only 3 planes still flying with the TF39 engines. Come October, there will be none. The new ones sound like just any other airplane, and I'll miss the noise, but the performance increase is amazing. Its like adding a 5th engine to the plane.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I saw one at Palm Beach International once - either delivering an engine to Pratt & Whitney, or picking one up.

8. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  9. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    We put de-rated 747 engines on them and it is uncanny how quiet they are at full power during engine runs or upon takeoff. Totally different birds from when they landed here to when they leave.

10. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    Don't believe everything you read. One C model? We've modified more than that and there's still one here getting functional tests ran on it.

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Likely some accounting games that were played to reduce costs until the aircraft were modified to be C-5M. If they are "retired" you can use the O&am money for other stuff.

There are also some "special" C-5s and its entirely possible that some were brought out of retirement because only they could meet the mission requirements.

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

What is a de-rated engine? Past their allowable hours for civilian 747's ?

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Derated for thrust, rpm, TIT, or some combination. Thrust being the big one. Some engines have a selector than allows you to limit some paramaters. The TF30-P100 did.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Oh, I thought you were talking about the car. Never mind.

15. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

That makes more sense, thank you

16. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    "Special" C-5's??

As in "Special Operations"??? An AC-5 "Super Spectre"???

Stealth C-5's???

Laser cannons????

Transformer C-5's??

(Note to self: Must grow up. Eventually.)

17. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    We first saw the C5-A at the Dulles air show in either 69' or 70' and as a kid, I barely was taller than the tires. I think Bob Hoover also performed at the same air show in several airplanes.

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah..... After the first deception attack the DoD decided to quit screwing around with transforming semi trucks and flashy sports cars and rebuilt all the transformers into one big transforming C-5. They call it Brokedownalot Prime. :)

Seriously though sometimes you need to haul stuff that's a little bit on the big side and Wthe USAF doesn't like to roll like the ghetto ass Russians who strap the crap on top of the AN-225 like Clark Griswold taking the family truckster on a camping trip.

19. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Even more uncanny than that is how quiet they are at idle. You won't hear it at idle power during a low tactical approach (1,000 feet, 230 kts) until its almost right over you. In my opinion, they are too quiet and the spool up time is slightly annoying, but the extra power is awesome. Whether or not they are still 747 engines is debatable. They were, until the Air Force demanded that the TR's be usable in flight, and now they are not interchangeable.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm guessing this:

C-5B Galaxy | Special Operations Low Level II | SOLL II