Installed Fabspeed headers and cat-delete pipes ... now too loud | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Installed Fabspeed headers and cat-delete pipes ... now too loud

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #51 bisel, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    I created short video and posted on YouTube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss57-VANC9s

My configuration:
    - Fabspeed headers
    - No cats
    - 12" Resonators in place of the catalytic converters sourced from Vibrant Performance
    - Ferrari racing exhaust with valved tips

I have the Forza Exhaust Controller, so am able to manually control the exhaust bypass valves. The first few seconds are with the exhaust bypass valves closed. Louder than your typical Lexus and bit louder than the stock Ferrari 360 ... but still very civilized.

When forcing the exhaust bypass valves open at all times, the exhaust note is quite loud. The resonators temper the overall volume and tone very nicely. Without the resonators, when the valves were open, it was essentially a straight through exhaust.

I posted a YouTube video several posts back of my configuration ... same as above, but without the resonators. Here is that link ...
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/ptI8pBjUuow

I used an iPhone to create these videos and the windows were open. I believe you can detect the higher volume in the video without resonators ... and also important to me, the raspy nature as well.

I feel compelled to suggest that anyone installing headers and considering deleting the cats, definitely consider putting resonators in place of the cats. I also suggest to our friends at Fabspeed (any any other vendors supplying exhaust systems) to offer the option of resonators or tuning ports to filter out any annoying high pitch raspy sounds. These resonators from Vibrant make the sound much more livable.

Steve

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Steve, i think it sounded pretty liveable with those resonators installed. Sounds good

3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Yes, I am quite pleased with the results ... one nagging problem though ... I get random P0421/P0431 codes ... related to the test pipes and no catalytic converters. Trying to get that one resolved. Of course putting cats back on would probably resolve that ... but trying other things first.

Steve

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

You may not have a choice but to get your computer's reprogrammed. I Next Day Air mine to Mase Engineering in Florida and I had them back the next day. Let him know everything you've done and he'll hook you up

5. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I switched to Fabspeed Headers, Hyperflow sport cats, w/ Fabspeed 02 extenders, through TUBI exhaust I get those codes EVERY time I drive now. My mechanic tried several configurations of extenders, including the "mini" cats ones....nothing kept the codes from returning.
    Codes usually seem to trigger in 6th gear when the engine is not under much load (hwy speeds), but not exclusively.
    I'd rather not switch back to stock cats, as it does sound way better, and seems to run cooler (have the Fabspeed blankets too).

6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Good that you are happy. Only a tune will get rid of the CEL after you've tried all that you have. It does sound good. I thought my resonated 360 sounded good. The comments from others made me swap to sports cats. Maybe get some one do do a drive by in your car and you have a listen, or see what others think. Cars sound way different on the inside.

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #57 bisel, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    I had a friend drive by and he stated that in his opinion the cars sounds very good. I paid him the $10 I promised and thanked him.

Joking aside, I really like the sound now. And, as Falcon Wing stated, the engine bay is cooler. I used my IR thermometer to get a reading of the surface temp of the stock cats ... about 600 to 700 deg F were typical readings. With the test pipes/resonators about 400 deg F. After a drive, there is a noticeable difference in heat radiation when opening the rear deck lid.

About the ECU tune to ignore the trouble codes ... I can easily clear the codes and so far they remain cleared for a bit. Long enough to pass emissions if it comes down to it. If the ECU tune were performed, would that result in a "Not Ready" condition when going for emissions check? Something that I could not clear on my own.

Steve

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Three days of driving now. Between 15 to 50 miles each day. No CEL. Keeping fingers crossed

Steve

9. TigWelder

TigWelder Rookie

May 23, 2017
    you made the right choice if you wanted to use vibrant products. those mini race mufflers do nothing..they are primarily intended for race cars where the rules require use of a muffler...however they dont really do much. same with the cats. most cats are pretty expensive, the vibrant ones are nearly free. they dont do a whole lot. the resonators make the biggest difference of all of those choices.

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thanks for the feedback. Had my son-in-law over and he really likes the sound. Of course he might be biased. But it really sounds great from outside the car. As I said, I now have driven it three times since getting this mod. Today did about 85 miles and no CEL. Fongers crossed.

Steve

11. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    All done.... It was actually perfect timing... my pre-cat material was not attached inside the headers anymore, and particles were being blown into the main cats. :(
    We cleaned and saved the main cats and replaced the OEM headers now obsolete with Fabspeed sports headers and blankets (have to contain that temperature in the engine bay!).

The rest of the set-up (main cats and muffler) is OEM.

I can report that it sounds very close to standard at idle. nothing bad or uncivilized.
    It revs up quicker. In my case because of the damaged pre cat out of the way, the power come quicker (ASR active more often).
    Now when you give it the full treatment... man, it is scary! I found tunnel, downshifted 2 gears and floored it. I scared the bejesus out of myself (windows down, of course!), and was wondering if cops from across town where looking for me. This thing is proper loud, closer to F1 pitch noise above 6-7k rpm...

I wouldn't want it different. Maybe with this set-up it is more like the euro spec'ed cars (no pre-cats). I am loving it.

Looking forward to more driving.

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bisel I am just not sure what happened with your sound. I think it might be nearly impossible to not get great sound out of a Ferrari. I had zero difficulty per this vid. I do hope you did get it dialed in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkP_u-gt4w[/ame]

CarbonDan likes this.
  13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi Michael,

Your CS sounds very good indeed. Not to mislead you though, I think I have my 360 sounding pretty good right now.

You did not mention if your CS has been modified with after market headers or if you have removed the cats. That is the genesis if me starting the thread ... the sound was too loud for my tastes and was also too raspy. I put on the resonators and it sounds pretty good.

I need to get someone to be able to take video from outside like you did. Hard to get what the car sounds like on a simple iPhone from inside the car. Yours sounds great.

Steve

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, same mods. I am really happy with the result too. I additionally tuned the ECU's to suit the mods. The power gains are actually significant, which was my ultimate goal beyond the rich upgraded sound.

Lucky us.

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I am very pleased with the mods and love the sound. I do perceive a power gain but I do not plan on getting it dyno tested.

I am holding back on the ECU tune for now. But, if I continue to get recurrent check engine light, I may go for the ECU tune. My only concern with ECU tune is that if the ECU ignores the P0421/P0431 trouble code ... the check engine light stays off, but will that trigger a "not ready" condition when I go for emissions testing?

Steve

16. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Update on the trouble codes. ... I have done five drives since the last occurrence of the check engine light. Some minor changes may be having a positive impact. Today drove about 100 miles, varying conditions.

- made small adjustment of the orientation of the O2 extenders

- I let the car come up to temp with the bypass valves closed. Then flyer oil temp is above 200F, I open the exhaust bypass valves

- Everything running great, great sound. Loving it.

The mods:
    - Fabspeed headers
    - Cat delete pipes
    - 12" resonators
    - Fabspeed O2 extenders + mini cats

Steve

17. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
  18. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi guys, just came up on this thread -- I have a 360F1 with a Tubi...

Looking to get a little better (louder) sound out of it but hopefully not obscenely loud and maybe reduce engine bay temps and reduce risk of the standard cats going bad - car has 29K miles.

Any recommendations? Vibrant Performance resonators seem like a good choice but is there any solution with the CEL?

What about test pipes with O2 extenders, has there been any solution that has been showed to work?

Thanks so much!

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I believe that eliminating the CATs is going to likey cause a CEL. I have the test pipes and O2 extenders and the setup keeps the CEL at bay for a while, and then it will pop up on occasion. Minor annoyance though as is easy to clear. I don't know if there is a definitive setup when eliminating the CATs to prevent CELs. I don't want to do an ECU tune as am concerned it would result in a not ready status which would give me grief when taking in for emission test. Of course, the test pipes may cause me grief as well.

Steve

20. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I had a Tubi on my 360 with resonated pipes. Constant CEL's. Went to sports cats and no more CEL's. Sounded better too.

21. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    I can confirm that is exactly what will happen. Just went through this hassle myself. Hopefully a tuner can chime in here and see if there is a way around all this.
    The holy grail would be a tune that allows you to run fully catless, turns off the CELs but does not turn off 'catalyst monitoring' and allows the ECU to report the catalyst monitor as 'READY'.
    I'm not sure why this is such an issue with Ferraris.... that behavior is exactly what I have in my subaru and lamborghini and never have issues with it.
    I wonder what would happen if you threaded an o2 extender into a mini cat and basically doubled the length from the exhaust flow. Someone should try that.
    Right now my CS exhaust is completely stock but I'm itching to at the very least get rid of the header precat. It's way too big of a liability. Undecided at this point whether to do hyperflow cats or test pipes and I will likely keep the stock CS muffler/tips.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Who did your tune?

23. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Mase. My understanding is this isn't a tuner-specific issue, I've read plenty people who have had the same results with all the major tuners.
    I think it's more an issue within the Ferrari ecu setup.

24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Well,,,, That's not good. I was told it wasn't an issue with Mase tunes? This may change my plans......:(

25. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Your mileage may vary, I would ask him directly and see hwat he says. He would certainly know a lot more than I would about this topic.