TESTAROSSA ENGINE INSULATION | FerrariChat

TESTAROSSA ENGINE INSULATION

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mjh366, Jun 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    I have an early 1988 Testarossa and am having a bit of a problem with the fiberglass cover on the engine lid. I have taken it off a couple of times to wet sand it and buff it back up only to see it fade back from what I think is the heat from the engine. Was there ever any insolation on the inside of that lid? If not, any ideas? Thanks

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    US and Swiss cars had insulation for the purpose of sound deadening. Most had nothing and heat was not a problem.

Sounds to me like a paint problem.

3. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    I had a chance to look under the lid of a wonderful T/R at an open house at Ferrari of S/A today and it did have an heat barrier under the fiberglass panel. Makes sense as Ferrari did the same for the 360 with the optional exhaust. Any pictures would be nice. My car is all OEM paint and have only worked it with 5000 grit paper, think things will work out. Thanks

4. notenuphstuph

notenuphstuph Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    I have the same problem with mine, the paint continues to marr, I've lost count of the amount of times I've cut and polished it, so now I just live with it...
    The car is resale red, don't know if it happens to other colours??

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Have a look at the black firewall mat here: SOUNDEX™ PREMIUM AIRCRAFT SOUNDPROOFING & MATERIALS PACKAGE from Aircraft Spruce

It's fire resistant, which is a big plus in my book since if an engine bay fire does start this stuff is working more for you than against you. May not be "correct" but it's reversible and certainly easier than repainting your engine cover when you run out of paint to color sand.

No affiliation other than planning to use it to replace the disintegrating factory stuff in my 348.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is not a heat barrier, it is sound deadening. Most TRs do not have it with no paint issue.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks for the link.... the material looks great.

Please repost on this TR section after you try it on your 348!

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am curious why anyone would put insulation there? Even many US cars came with none. It was a sound deadening exercise and its installation even on the cars it was intended for was so inconsistent we do not even judge for it.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I guess because they've seen it on some cars and think it should be there. Like many older cars that are restored incorrectly because people reproduce what they saw on another car.

10. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    This "issue" has nothing to do with SOUND in this case, it has to do with the quality of finish on the engine lid. The heat from the engine has a more or less effect on the reflective quality of the paint, along with, paint sealant, wax and prep work etc. on the lid. Reflect the heat, and you will preserve your finish, it is that simple. I will be trying a product I have used on a couple of my other cars and customers cars for heat issues on the T/R next week. What I was originally asking about was weather anyone had seen an OEM treatment and had pictures of same. Got that info last weekend, I think I can do better. I'll let you-all know.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That piece, as 70+% of the TR's built is not needed for the sake of the paint. If you have a paint issue, you have a paint issue, not an insulation issue.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Because it was on the car originally...

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Makes perfect sense if he was installing an original replacement.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Agreed... but the linked version appears to be a very close copy. I 'suspect' it could pass for OEM. Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not any of the stuff I see there.

16. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    YOU THINK SO? 70+ %? That is a bunch! Have you considered that the various waxes sealants etc have a different reaction to heat? They do! I have done this all my life. You saw my Bentley while in your shop. The heat from the engine has an effect on what the paint looks like on the lid, like it or not, that is a fact! The fiberglass lid CAN be protected from the heat and retain the CORRECT reflective qualities I am looking for. Has this turned into an ego thing? My T/R is red and the lid dulls back " a little" I'm looking for some pictures of what may have been an OEM remedy thats ALL.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all. I am just saying most TR's, (70+ % world wide) including a good percentage of the US cars came with no insulation and in that 32 years of experience we know they suffered no paint issues as a result. Many think the insulation was installed for reasons of heat and that is not the case, it was strictly a matter of sound deadining.

I have good pictures of all the TR hood treatments but am no longer allowed to post pictures or I would be happy to do so.

18. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #18 qwazipsycho, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    The original insulation was garbage. It really didn't do that much for the sound deadening either. When mine started to fail, I just removed it. That was about 10 years ago.

Honestly, since I've removed it, I think the paint has deteriorated. The rest of my paint looks brand new. But my "hood hickie" is dull and has a couple of spots that have flaked off. the vertical edges of the hood hickie still look good so it appears that the heat does affect the horizontal surface.

Just stating facts Brian...not trying to argue with you.

EDIT: Changed my mind. I am arguing with you because you're such ******.

19. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    Scott, Go to Dynaliner and look at part #s 11905 and then 11103. I have used products from them on my 31 Ford Victoria street rod and also on some early post war vintage cars. I have been in contact with them on my paint issue and they feel that # 11905 would be the best choice but if the silver was an issue go with # 11103. I am going to make a shell the shape as the fiberglass part to fit against the inside so that I can remove it and will hold it in place with a couple of battens, so the color is not an issue, and I can preserve the original part as new.

20. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I see both of those products and they are both just sound absorption. I don't really think it's effective because it doesn't cover the entire hood. The surrounding area is open. I'm more interested in heat absorption.

21. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    OH, Cover the entire hood?!!! For sound? Thats a novel idea. Never thought of that! I have seen this sight kill several exceptionally talented people by allowing attacks against them. David Helms , Smiley, Car Guy Brian etc.. All of these guys are treasures to your sight and there are many more. Without some solid info on our problems what do you have? I think like it or not P/C or not Rifledriver is the best, David Helms used to be there but popular media shut him off, and there were many others . I know both of these guys, they are trying to help us!

FOR FREE !!!!
    YOU MIGHT THANK THEM AT SOME POINT. M HOSKINS

22. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    Dave, You may well be correct. You have seen many more T/Rs than me. I think I have a fix who knows. See you soon for an idle problem. SOOO glad I'm an an old guy and no longer have to deal with ---- you know. Thanks for being here. mh

23. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The original is foam will break down over time. Im wiling if you are able to find a factory replacement it will also be close to dust in a yellow box.

Hi Temp paint is the solution for the chicklet. If you want to be different, there is heat resistant fabric that is cheap. Go to your local fabric store and ask the nice lady behind the counter to show you where the roll of ironing board cover material is. It has a silvery sheen and you can make a template then have the wife sew you up a cozy for the chicklet.

But the pained solution is factory, clean and easiest. $6 and some elbow grease...done.

24. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Paint problem IMO..