vanquish owners? | Page 33 | FerrariChat

vanquish owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Jan 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Looks as though I will be giving a '03 Vanquish a try. My brother has owned it for 9 years and prior to that my father owned it for a year. From the VIN, I found this link to the car just prior to my father purchasing it.
    2003 ASTON MARTIN VANQUISH 2 DOOR COUPE V12 - 40147
    It currently has @28k miles and needs some maintenance. It is at Miller Motorcars in CT right now and I need them to fix the reverse button before I can have it transported. $2000...ouch.

They are telling me that it skips 3rd gear occasionally and that it needs the $5k sensor fix. I have a hard time dropping $5k for something that I have not experienced but am concerned because there is no local AM dealer to me and I believe the fix needs to be from a dealer??? My brother knows nothing about cars. After reading through AMOC forums, I wonder if this may be corrected by the ASM fuse, a clutch relearn, and also some good hard driving???

The other needs that the car has can be done by myself or an independent locally. Fluid changes, new tires and some worn suspension bushings.

2. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Fix it. If you don't, it'll cost you more later.

3. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Left you a PM.

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #804 Doug, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have decided to go ahead with the upgrade fix to the magnetic tensioners while at the dealer. I am sure once we are in there, it will be wise to do the clutch as well. So my $2000 fix before shipping it here will possibly be @$14k....
    On the bright side, I did find out that it is possible that I have the only Vanquish finished in Solent Silver. The service Mgr said he has never seen or heard of a Vanquish in that color before and, from google, I can only find it on DB7s and DB9s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Doug, the real question is do you want to keep the car for more than 3 years? I am not sure fixing the car to sell it soon may be in your best financial interest.
    They are great cars but right now the market is very tough on them. in the USA.
    If you want more details on where I am coming from Pm me.

6. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    #806 sunburn, May 9, 2017
    Doug, looks like your car is 1 of 7 finished in Solent Silver. Very rare!

7. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Where did you find this info out of curiosity?

8. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland

7 Vanquish (Non-S or/and S) left the factory in Solent Silver.

Edit: someone was faster! I have the same colour chart. ;-)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

9. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I got the complete list from one of the AMOC members.

10. stlouis

stlouis Karting

Oct 7, 2007
    Amazing - was looking for some info on VQ wheels - because I love the Kahn wheels and just got to learn that they still have some for sale.

And I bump into this thread. Found Armen, of course (Hey buddy;-), and now this pic, with my car in ;-)

Anyhow, I still haven't found an answer to my question : are the Kahn wheels suited for an SDP ?

There is right now a '04 (presumably non SDP, and it seems front calipers are not in front of the wheels) for sale on ClassicDriver, that has Kahn wheels, advertised as 19" wheels - with PZero rubber.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/aston-martin/vanquish/2004/429186

Looking around, I found pics of a japanese car it seems, with 20" Kahn's, on Yokohama.

https://www.madwhips.com/photo/31750/kahn-kw-aston-martin-vanquish-14

Last but not least, most other pics I could find were on S cars.

Finally, what I'd like to know is : how should I put it when talking w/ Kahn to determine what rims I should ask them, for my SDP car ?

11. stlouis

stlouis Karting

Oct 7, 2007
    Never tried the 550 - and I love its look.

But, yes, striking thing about the VQ : so rigid a structure, never experienced such an impression before. I think they've actually over-done it.

12. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    When I first test drove my VNQ, the very first thing I noticed was the rigidity of the chassis...very impressive even for a new car, never mind one that's 15 years old. Usually when you drive something several generations removed from a new car, you notice the rattles and shakes as compared to the latest gen cars, but the VNQ is as rigid as anything being made today. Brick-like is an apt metaphor.

13. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    XJRS: I absolutely agree. Very rigid, and very quiet over bumps. I also agree equal to any of today's cars.

14. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    #814 ArmenVanquishS, May 30, 2017
    Oh my dear friend, so glad to see you here !!!! ;)
    Just ask directly to Kahn, they should know if their wheels can fit an SDP. It should be OK !

We came back from the Lake Como, Italy. A 2000 km road-trip and WHAT A MACHINE.
    Still remembering the glorious engine sound with opened valves in the tunnels... incomparable.
    And still the unique design... here is a picture.

And I confirm, completely rock-solid especially at high speeds.

15. Falco

Falco Karting

May 18, 2008
    Cold Lake
    Full Name:
    Chris Martin
    I concur that the Vanquish is a solid driver and inspires confidence at speed.
    I have just finished a wonderful 2200km tour through the southern Canadian Rockies. It was Awesome!

16. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I sold my 550 after acquiring a manual DB9. I still have the DB9.

17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Well, In August Im driving my 2004 from NEW YORK to ALASKA and back for my new book, "ME AND MY VANQUISH"
    That's around 8,400 miles in 14 days.....
    Ive had them all, its the modern ETYPE JAG
    Theres no other way to say it
    If you've had an E TYPE you would understand.
    Wish me luck!
    GTJOEY1314

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    stlouis, GTJOEY here, your car is all about the vin number, the lugs were changed as I have an early 2004 NON SDP, Be careful as the threads are different and the length is longer.
    Its all about the vin. Call aston direct.

19. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Hi Joey! You here means someone has succeeded in making the most prettiest useless website somewhere else! Yo know what I am talking about. BTW my car is in LI. Getting it back Friday.

20. Falco

Falco Karting

May 18, 2008
    Cold Lake
    Full Name:
    Chris Martin
    #820 Falco, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Haha! I know of the poor AM website. Wish it was better!

GTJOEY What is your route, dates? Maybe I could tag along for a few Kms up in the north?

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Will have an actual route in July, just mapping out the details now....
    Thanks, Countach, your the best , safe travels to France my friend.
    GTJOEY1314

22. stlouis

stlouis Karting

Oct 7, 2007
    Wow, you guys got to the Villa D'Este thing ?

Re the Kahn : actually, at first, I asked Kahn if they still had RSV wheels, and whether they would fit an SDP car. They answered they still had some and asked which model I wanted...

Puzzled...

23. stlouis

stlouis Karting

Oct 7, 2007
    #823 stlouis, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Hi Joey,

This seems to be yet another discrepancy ?

My understanding, from an AMOC post, was that only the bolt pattern was different :
    - 5-114,3 mm / 5-4.50" on the SDP (and S cars) because of the new brakes
    - 5-108 mm /5-4.25" on the non-S non-SDP cars.

Are you saying that, even in the 5-4.5" series, lugs may be of diff. lengths and threads ???

(my car, 1345, is a true SDP, confirmed by NP).

24. stlouis

stlouis Karting

Oct 7, 2007
    Found the complete answer. It seems that to mount the Khan RSV on VQ non S and non SDP, one has to replace the nuts, while it is not necessary for the S / SDP models.
    I suspect offsets F/R were swapped by mistake between the two models below, but I made sure to copy paste the information as I got it.

Vanquish
    C/ Bore: 63.4mm
    Nuts: 12 x 1.50

Front
    size 9 x 20
    PCD 5 x 108
    offset 23
    ref RSV900D08
    tyre 255/35/20

Rear
    size 11 x 20
    PCD 5 x 108
    offset 20
    ref RSV110D05
    tyre 285/30/20

Vanquish S 05 on, incl. SDP
    C/ Bore: 68.1mm
    Nuts : original

Front
    size 9 x 20
    PCD 5 x 114.3
    offset 20
    ref RSV900D11
    tyre 255/35/20

Rear
    size 11 x 20
    PCD 5 x 114.3
    offset 23
    ref RSV110D07
    tyre 285/30/20

25. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Doing my periodic market assessment and noticed that inventory has dried up over the past 60-days and asking prices are way up. Possible early indicators of a long predicted shift?

I am hearing there is a renewed inquiry and appreciation (possible demand) from my shop just like 512TR and 328 indicators were a few years ago - anyone know of some auction results?