Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, all Stroll and the team wanted was him to get around without crashing. Where he ended up didn't really matter. Yes, he passed a couple of McLarens after the were forced to reduce power. Lets face it -- he's got the Merc. But he really didn't show much more than that in the race.

He was good but there was no "Max Verstappen" in his performance.

So he accomplished his goal. When he really starts to fight for something is when we can tell his real value to the team.

But its clear Massa -- the guy that Williams removed to put Stroll in his seat -- is far superior on every level. If you're just looking at points this year, you'd have to say that was a mistake in judgement. Stroll should have done at least one more year in F3 in Europe.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :)
    +1

Though IMO he should've moved up to F3.5, very close to F2 in speed, but not nearly as many people watching the sport with hawkeyes like F2, or especially F1 of course.

IMO they should've done a decent deal with Williams, a bit like this:

Keep Massa employed for 2017, let Stroll do secret testing in a 2014 car with 2017 development tires and Di Resta as a permanent coach. In the meantime, Stroll would do the 2017 F3.5. Big Michael Kors stickers on the Williams, and get him in the car when he's actually ready.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree on that.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yep, that would have been sensible instead of pushing him prematurely in F1.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I have no doubts he will ge better, but he's progression margin will be severely limited by his own talent, i doubt he will get within half a second of massa till the end of the year..and if he was a good driver, he would be within 0.2 of a second by than...he will not.
    See Ocon (although in his second year) already he's at the same level or almost as Perez who is a very, very good driver, take a look at Palmer, also in his second year....he is nowhere near Hulkenberg who we know is a similar driver in performance as Cheko. Bottom line, Ocon is teh real deal, Palmer sucks....and Stroll may become better than palmer...but he will never be as good as Ocon.

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ocon is the real deal.

7. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Mmmm ... Maybe that one sucks less than the other?

That is quite a severe judgment. Started from 17th place, overtook numerous opponents, brought the car home without incidents while under the immense pressure of driving at home ...

He achieved a very respectable performance. Bravo again Lance!

Maybe for Massa but if he does this before the end of this year it will prove that he is an outstanding talent and promised to an exceptional career, but I would not bet on this one ( that he will out qualify Massa ). Like Jacques Villeneuve said about Lance, he must reduce his gap with his teammate Massa. I am confident that Lance will do it this year. His performance in Montréal will boost his confidence ...

Otherwise I agree with you. In fact, the Stroll case in F1 is a very interesting and unique one because ...

I am more afraid that we are witnessing the birth of a monster than the epic fail of rich talentless dilettante ...

( If ) Stroll at the end of his very long career crush all the F1 records, will he be recognized as a talented driver or still be viewed as the luckiest spoiled kid in the world?

We are far from this scenario ( with ifs ... ) but with all the money of his father, it is obvious that the Stroll clan will approach F1 the same way they did in F4 and F3.

I repeat, they are no fools, structured and they have lots and lots of money ...

To finish third? ( you surely meant Turd ) Please can you elaborate on this? With the fourth best chassis ( reputed ), starting from 17th, ... Well ... You seem to possess a very interesting theory ...

Palmer started in front of Stroll and finished behind ... If it is your definition of hopelessness, I am afraid that your way of analyzing is ... :eek:p

Another very harsh and severe judgment here ... Just to make sure Flavio, your gender is male and you are not in your pms ... Right?

As you certainly know, a learning curve is not a constant one, sometimes we stay at the same level and some other times we improve very quickly ...

Not a bit of talent? This is far from being the opinion of F1 experts ...

First of all, he is making it in F1 where countless of other very good drivers would have failed and, even worse, would not have tried to cross such a steep transition.

Remember how difficult it was for Zanardi in F1 with his relevant experience. Even though, it will not suffice to convince me that he was not an outstanding driver. His corkscrew passing at Laguna Seca was incredible and proved he had balls as big as Nigel Mansell, for example!

That would be incredible and indicating an outstanding talent. If he does that, F1 might see the rise of one of the future greatest ... Again, I don't think it will happen this year ...

Undoubtedly, he shows intelligence and discipline in driving. At 18 years old, this is quite impressive.

Forget about it, Lance Stroll doesn't have the driving style of Gilles, Ayrton or Nigel but more like Alain, Mika, Kimi ...

Which is a good race. You contradict yourself!

Concerning Massa, it is all conjectures ... Everything is possible with imagination.

No. He is a good driver and he deserves to be there. Otherwise, please start a crusade to change the F1 admission rules that prevailed since its creation ... This is mostly a game of rich people ...

Agree. Without his father money he would not be there ... this year. But this is not the case and I am afraid that all that money will bring big results in the future, like it or not.

Uncomfortable. This explains that. When he will be comfortable the gap between him and Massa will reduce significantly.

Again, with lots of ifs, everything is possible. He started at the bottom of the grid, kept the car in the race, overtook several opponents and scored points at its home place under considerable pressure. That is an achievement.

The young guy has brain ... As for having balls, only when he will be comfortable in the car will we be able to see it, but as I said, his driving style seems to lean more on the intellectual side à la Prost ...

LOL! Had a good sleep?

I am not offended with those who do not believe in Stroll, some of you are harsh, severe, unmerciful and impatient but you might be right ... Only time will tell.

Of course, I would say that it is not a very constructive and positive attitude , and I sincerely hope that those people do not raise their children that way ...

The Stroll case is very interesting, even more in the future ...

As for the ban, it was no personal, it was generic! :)

Some girls do ... Sorry ... Only Woody Allen can make jokes about jews !!!

I see now, it is the money factor that bothers you!

This is how I see it: Stroll is a talented and promising driver who had the chance to debut F1 as a titular driver sooner than the vast majority of other prospects because his father is kind of healthy financially speaking ... It is certainly not the easiest path but the most direct one.

Again, I am sure that they know what they are doing.

LOL! I believe you! But did you ask your wife to do it? :)

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 he is GREAT. So consistent all season long, and terrific pace all the race. Continue to be hugely impressed by him, certainly a star of the future. Lets not forget it was Ocon who was fighting with Verstappen for the F3 title :).
    It's not. I don't care whether someone has bought himself in, as long as he's talented enough to merit the seat.

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ

Lawrence? Is that you?

10. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Other than "anything is possible", on what basis could you possibly believe this may be the birth of a monster? In Stroll's current body of work, what has he shown that even remotely gives such an indication?

Other than "uncomfortable and undeveloped," I find it hard to put a label on any aspects of Stroll's "style" thus far in F1. With such a totally undeveloped style, how could you possibly compare to these guys?

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    No. It's Toil in disguise. :)

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep. Completely agree.

13. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Bravo also for Ocon!

Was kidding for the money allusion ...

Of Arabia?

Stroll you meant, I wish I could be as rich ...

If his curriculum isn't impressive enough considering his age and that he officially debuted racing competition only since 2014, what else does it take?

That is simply unseen ...

Too soon to put a definitive label like you said but I would not go as far as you in saying that his style is totally undeveloped ( another very strong assessment ... ) ... Have you seen him in F4 and F3?

It is obvious that he is leaning more on the brain side as opposed to Saintz for example?

Who is he? Please forgive my ignorance ...

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think we should allow Bas or Daytona to answer that one :)

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    agreed. first Toil, then he was EB110.....

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's not Toil and he's not trolling.

1) style of writing is completely different, hard to fake
    2) he's better at building arguments
    3) Why would Toil come back to support Stroll?
    4) Effer works on Canadian times

Effer is just happy there's a Canadian back in F1, and so he damn well should be. I've never been able to be that patriotic about F1 until Max come to the fold...Previously I can remember being ecstatic when Jos Verstappen was 2nd in the Malaysian GP in 2001, only for it all to fall away later (Something we where used to), and it was pretty hard to support Albers or Van Der Garde...

I don't know Effer or his history with F1, but if he's a fairly recent follower I can understand his posts quite well.

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Could be Mama Stroll too.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What jag-off started this thread?

19. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JUNE 13, 2017

Father, Williams say Stroll deserves F1 seat

Lawrence Stroll's father and boss say the under-fire 18-year-old has now proven he deserves to be in formula one.

After qualifying ten places behind teammate Felipe Massa ahead of his seventh race of his young career, Stroll was given the label of perhaps the worst rookie in F1 history by Jacques Villeneuve.

But he then scored his first points on Sunday.

Stroll's father and sponsor, the billionaire fashion mogul Lawrence Stroll, said he "couldn't be prouder" of his son.

"He has just done his seventh race in F1, so everyone has to be patient," he told Le Journal de Montreal.

"I think my son is where he should be right now. You saw the races just as I did, and you know that he had some bad luck.

"But he did an extraordinary race here," said Stroll snr in his native Montreal.

Importantly, Lawrence Stroll's sentiments about the struggling youngster were backed by his team boss, Claire Williams.

"The most important thing is that he did it himself," she told La Presse newspaper. "It was not a result by default but because of several overtakes.

"The skills he demonstrated did not look like a rookie. He has proved he deserves his place in F1 and silenced his detractors," deputy team chief Williams added.

20. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Ah! Ok! Thanks. That's what I thought, Toil was a Troll. Looks like his writings were more akin to what we find on Toil ... et paper.

I'm a not so new and not so old subscriber here on FChat. I subscribed when I bought an underrated Ferrari!

1) Must be! Sorry if it is not perfect, my first language is French and most of the time when I write I still think in French-it must be obvious isn't?
    2)Better than this guy Toil? From what it seems, it's not really a spectacular feat!!! :)
    3) Where did TurmOIL came from? USA?
    4)LOL, at first glance I read: works at Canadian Tire!!!

Exactly.

Max is amazing, I wish him a great F1 career.

Pretty hard to support Jacques Villeneuve Sr ( brother of Gilles and uncle of Jacques ) in F1 ... Too much balls not enough fear to stay on the fine line of balance between quickness and reckless ...

I was finishing high school when I started to follow Gilles debuts in Formula 1 ...

I love F1 but I am always nostalgic when I look how crazy and how over the top was the racing competition in the 70's and 80's. 1000-1500hp engines, ground effect, ...

Even today, a Porsche 917 is amazing.

With today's technology we could do much better while keeping it safe ...

No please! I'm not a transgender!!! :)

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sorry if this a repost:

Just read a comment by Villeneuve saying Stroll is the worst rookie.

Not much Canadian love between these two

22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    worst rookie.....EVER!!!.....read it yesterday and that pretty much all he says.....

http://en.f1i.com/news/270662-villeneuve-beats-stroll.html

23. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I spent a week in England in Formula Fords with Jacque Sr. He was fast, but... I rode only once in the rental car when driving to lunch! No way would I do that again, and that was when we all had the immortality of youth in our veins.

24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I heard it was the same with Gilles. Jody Scheckter hated riding with him in a road car.

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..he hated even mopre on a boat and far worse on a helicopter, lololo