Oil Pressure red light even after new Sender Unit | FerrariChat

Oil Pressure red light even after new Sender Unit

Discussion in '360/430' started by ItalienCar, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    I have had my 2002 Ferrari 360 for a couple of months.
    Loving the car, but for the past couple of weeks, have been getting the oil pressure red light at idling speed and hot( oil greater than 180F). Have gone through the following steps to root cause and correct:
    -installed new pressure sender unit
    -removed some oil to get the level right in the middle
    -installed new oil filter
    Even after these changes still got the red light at idle once the car is hot.
    I Installed an oil pressure tester and looks like I get ~10PSI at the oil temperature when the red light comes on at idle.
    I'll be bringing the car for an annual pretty soon, but concerned that the pressure values are too low.
    Note: Pressure increases linearly as I accelerate, to about 70PSI above 4K rpm.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !!!

2. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    10psi is very alarming. When you say pressure tester. What are you using.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Using an off the shelf/brandless oil pressure tester from Harbor Freight (local tool store).
    Side note, pressute gradually decreases until it reaches 185F.

4. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    1. Can you test the oil pressure gauge to ensure it's reading accurately.

2. What is the pressure when starting from cold, record like this....
    Pressure / RPM / Water Temp or Engine Running Time

3. Oil...
    a) How old is the oil
    b) what was the spec.
    c) has the oil temp been very hot on previous occasions.

It may be that your oil is just very old and you've had times when it got too hot and so it degrades.

Or, the worst case might be the pressure control spring is failing. I have had this happen on a 308 but that had a good +30yrs on it.

5. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    #5 ItalienCar, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    1-Doubt I have the tools to calibrate
    2-at start when idling(1.1K) I get around 70psi, drops to 10psi after 20min (at Idle), still runs 70psi at 4K
    3- oil is about 10months old with only 1200miles on it. The red light did start after a fairly hot day of driving...

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I think Angus is talking about the oil getting VERY VERY hot and breaking down. A hot day of driving shouldnt do it. You could consider changing the oil anyway to see what happens. How many miles on the car

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #7 mike32, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    See if you can locate the oil pressure relief valve and clean it up, check the spring for breakage and the valve for sticking
    Looking at the drawing there appears to be 2 spring loaded arrangements on the oil pumps, looks like you can drop the sump and get to these to check, assuming the sump just drops off ? I am not up on this engine but i can see the oil pressure arrangement on the diagram.
    The oil pump is obviously ok as you are getting the pressure, how does the oil cooler get its air flow as i dont see a fan on the drawing ?

8. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Car has 30k. Had the belts changed a little over 1k ago, with the oil, not driver hard since but will probably get an oil change. Any recommended oil for warmer months?

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The oil is going to fine with only 1000 miles on it, i bet it is clean on the dip stick

10. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Actually oil is surprisingly dark, my understanding is that it is hard get all the oil out while performing an oil so doesn't allow for clean looking oil everytime?

11. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Thanks for the input. Will need to check accessible to determine if I can do that.
    Would the relief valve affect only at idle? As in this case i get good pressure when the engine runs higher than idle...

12. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Pressure control spring.
    Not saying this is definitive, but if i recall, my 308 the spring was broken, the symptom was it could not make proper pressure when rev'd.

In your case, it seems to show correct pressure at 4k but too low at idle once warmed up. For ref at idel once hot it does drop to just below the 1st marker on the gauge.
    To me that looks like the oil is not an appropriate type/grade for the engine's condition (wear) and/or your climate.

Adding on your comment that it already looks black - probably worth an oil change and check that they use something decent.

In HK, the dealer actually uses the Shell race oil (it's not really race oil) as it's one step up in viscosity and seems to hold oil pressure better when the engine is hot.

13. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Do you what oil weight they use?

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the drawing i can see an oil cooler but no fan for it. Does it have an oil cooler fan or does it need the car movement to get the air flow over the oil cooler. It would explain a lot if the fan (if fitted) was not running. Have a look on the Eurospares web site drawing.
    It also shows the oil pump and relief valve setup, looks like you drop the sump pan and it is all accessable from what i can see

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Just put a 5w-40 or 0w-40 full synthetic oil in it. I use Redline..

16. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My car has done this since I got it (3rd owner). I created a contraption to T the oil sender and test the pressure but haven't gotten around it. The condition is the same, idling, traffic, etc. the light will be on. While running, the pressures look completely normal.

I experimented using a different gauge that used the same value range and even when the gauge hasn't fully zero'ed, the light goes on. From what I understand, on the 360, the sender sends the gauge information and also sets low pressure light? Is that correct?

On other vehicles the light can be set by a separate sensor.

17. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Not sure about the sender setting the low pressure light...but what kind of pressure were you seeing when the light comes on. Per the testing I have performed it seems that this triggers ~10Psi

18. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    Worn crankshaft bearings could be the cause!

19. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    #19 FlyingHaggisRacing, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Sensor
    Although the sensor used as has 2 posts, 1 for pressure analogue output and the other is a switch output for a low pressure light.
    Ferrari choose to use ONLY the analogue output to the dash and for the dash to decide on when to show the light.

So if you were to find the idle pressure on a separate gauge gave a reading of 15 or so, but under the same conditions the light would be on, then the dash may have the issue.

It all depends on what the external pressure gauge is telling you.
    If the oil pressure at idle, is truly below 10psi then sadly you probably have a real issue to look into or as said the oil is totally knackered and hasn't been changed.

Oil Rad Fan
    In short, Ferrari choose not to fit one.
    I have rectified that omission on my car.