Brake fluid flush 458 | FerrariChat

Brake fluid flush 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vincep99, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    #1 vincep99, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I flushed my brake fluid out last weekend; it went very quickly and effortlessly. I used a Motive Power flusher. The brakes are significantly better (less travel), probably not due to the new fluid but may have been some air in the system. You can see the difference in color (the one on the right is the old fluid)

I wrote an entire procedure which I will post later.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Vince

When was the fluid last changed?

Be interesting to understand the interval that caused that much degradation of the fluid

Regards

Michael

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Good question. I only met the original owner once, and I don't have his # to ask him. I will ask the dealer next time I am there.

4. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Looking forward to your write up.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    #5 vincep99, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F485 likes this.
  6. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Awesome - thanks for providing such a thorough write up.

7. Expat458

Expat458 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    The Sand Pit
    Full Name:
    Paul Healey
    Very informative. The more we can DIY the better for everyone....

8. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Very well done. The only other suggestion I'd make is to make sure you keep a spray bottle or hose nearby just in case of fluid spillage to quickly remove anything that touches paint or black plastic.

I also use a Motive and LOVE that thing! Used it only motorcycles and all my cars except it doesn't work on Honda cars

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    According the oem service I doubt that seeing the colours.

Which DOT did you use Vince ? DOT 5 ?

10. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    Very interesting...
    I have a story I will have to type up on my dealer brake bleed experience that did not do as easy as this.
    Cliff notes.
    Bought a 458..Brake had a soft pedal. Brought to F-Dealer for Annual maint. Had them chk brakes. Agreed soft pedal and I cold bleed for 200.00. I did . Still soft pedal. Said it could be ABS pump for 9500 or mater cylinder for 2k. With advice I went with Master cylinder. 2k laer still soft pedal said I need ABS pump...All that's left in system. I held off.
    Tlak to dealer where I bought car . Sent me to private dealer...Used to work at F-dealer(old timer)
    They bleed brakes. Said it took a lot of time but flushing about 8 times did the trick. So 850.00 later pedal is perfect and good to go.
    Said possible varnish build up. Put in Full synthetic brake fluid.

I did take action on the F-dealer and we worked out some resolution after some leg work on my end....BBB etc...
    all good now and enjoying my first F-car.

greg328 likes this.
  11. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Mel,
    I used DOT 4. I double-checked what it said on the cap with what was in the owner's manual.

I used NAPA brand simply because I have been using it for years.

Reminds me: whatever equipment you use, make sure to flush it with denatured alcohol as soon as you are done

12. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    What volume of fluid did it take you to flush the system?

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Otherwise the DOT 4 eats the caliper paint ... :(

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Won't the alcohol eat the Ferrari decal on the caliper?

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It (decalls + calipers) should all have been spayed with clear paint 2 layers or more ... (anyhow, I have spare decalls here if needed :) )

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    It takes 1 quart. Maybe could have done it with less but once you open the can you should throw the remainder out anyway.

On the DOT4 eating caliper paint: Mel,. you are so right! I just took a brake seminar (which prompted me to take brake fluid more seriously) and he stressed that a lot.

On denatured alcohol: the instructor at the seminar said to use this (vs. e.g. brake cleaner). I don;t know if he was thinking about the decals, but I am glad to hear that the calipers are clear-coated.

On another note: I am putting my car in the Italian Happening at M! Concourse in Detroit this Sunday; maybe I will get an award for the cleanest brake fluid!

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D

18. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    So I've done a little research, and the 458 has an ABS system that will hold some small amount of fluid captive unless / until the ABS is cycled. While the volume of that fluid is relatively small, I was wondering if anyone has experience performing that part of the flush / bleed and could recommend a compatible OBD tool.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Read post # 1 here, Vince flushed complete system ! Incl ABS.

20. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Mel,
    Thanks for the kudos but justthebest brings up a good point. I did some research and this site sheds some insight:
    Bleeding ABS Brake Systems

So if we want the 100% solution, we need to cycle the ABS valves. I looked also at the WSM and it does say that to flush the passages from the ABS portion, you need their tool to cycle the ABS valve.

As far as an OBD2 tool that can do that: I think that even most of the better ones that do handle ABS can only read and erase the codes, not cycle the valves. And from I remember of mine (INNOVA), it can only handle ABS/SRS for the "Big 5" OEMs.

I'll hook up the INNOVA this weekend

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have always done the vacuum method for many decades. Would like to try the pressure method but have to ask - aren't you pushing air into the system when you first hook-up to the reservoir cap with the plastic line filled with air? What method do you use to get the air out of the plastic line, the top of the pressure tank and the part of the brake reservoir that contains air above the fluid?

Seems you must evacuate all air in your device as well as the plastic lines and the reservoir before applying pressure otherwise a lot of air will push through the full system which is very much undesired. Thanks.

22. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Very good question; all I can say is that it is not a problem. You can see the brake fluid flowing through the clear line to the reservoir and there is no entrapped air. Could be osmosis but I don't know for sure.

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You should bleed the pressure bleeder line. I have a much heavy duty unit and it has a bleeder. Also, you can set the bleeder right in the trunk that way no risk of fluid on body work.

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sold on this. Bleeding the line for sure but what about the air under the cap? I have on occasion let the reservoir suck a very small amount of air during the vacuum method and you basically have to start over and re-flush the entire system. On some vehicles it leads to a nasty soft pedal that's hard to get firm again. If you have anti-lock and a complex master cylinder and cross-over system then I would not let any air at all in there. Will stick with the vacuum method. Thanks for all the info.

25. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It would not be difficult to add a bleeder valve to the line. As far as air under the cap - simple: top off the resivior before connection the pressure bleeder.

greg328 likes this.