612 Replacement Radio | FerrariChat

612 Replacement Radio

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrari Monkey, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    Does anyone have any experience with the 2-DIN replacement radio for the 612? I have seen a picture, but can't find any reviews, youtube videos, info, etc. Would be nice to upgrade the unit, but would like some reviews or info first if at all possible. Mainly would be nice to play music off of my android phone without an FM transmitter plugged into my lighter socket. :) Searched, but couldn't find much. Also, what do they run appx.? Thanks.

Bdearmas3 likes this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I use a tune2air with my factory Bose unit and ipod interface option with my Android.

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    The factory entertainment upgrade is probably a Clarion if I recall (just like for the 360 and 430, though different model). Figure out which Clarion model it is, should be listed somewhere, and look up reviews.

4. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Word is it is already obsolete. Personally on a 612 I would stick with stock.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  6. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Cost will be over $4k FYI...

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I you do it yourself, the factory bezel must be cut, and it's not an exact 2 din fit. The bottom of a 2 din radio will protrude slightly.
    Otherwise, get a Becker harness adapter, pull off the bezel (clips and hidden screws) and replace.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Doesn't Ferrari sell an install kit including a new bezel to make it a perfect fit, as they did with the 360/430 entertainment upgrade?

9. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    If you're an Apple man, I'd suggest replacing with a Carplay unit. I have one. It's not a perfect system but at least it's not immediately obsolete.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
  11. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    What do you guys mean it's obsolete already? Thanks for the model number, I'll look it up this weekend.

I bought the 612 with an aftermarket Alpine already installed with an IPOD connector. I have an android, plus I don't really like the interface. $4k sounds like a LOT! But it is a Ferrari after all. For less than half of that, I can get a high end Kenwood/Alpine/etc. that will stream my music via bluetooth as well as navigation, etc.

12. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    It is obsolete because it cannot run CarPlay and AndroidPlay.

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would recommend the 1-DIN option for 1 gen (Becker) 612 vehicles. 2-DIN for the Bose or OTO models.

Bdearmas3 likes this.
  14. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I think I saw somewhere that it was possible to install a bluetooth amplifier behind the stock unit. That way you could keep the stock facia and just stream everything from your phone which would seem like the best option. Anybody know if that is possible?

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    There is no replacement option for the Bose vehicles. I enquired when I first saw the bulletin and was told by Ferrari SF that it was not available for cars fitted with Bose units.

Bdearmas3 likes this.
  16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can't remember if the 612 has an AUX input. But if it does: A2D-BKR Audio Streaming Adapter for select Becker AUX Ready Radios :: Bluetooth

17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
  18. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    No aux input in the early 612 with Becker unit unless you play around with the CD changer in the trunk.

19. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I have the ipod input but it isn't powered so my bluetooth adaptor will not work. Does this one have its own power supply?

20. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Actually I noticed by accident that there is a flap concealing a connector just below the 2 din unit on the right hand side. I didn't have time to properly explore and I just remembered it but I can't access the car right now. Does anyone know if this is USB? If it is that would solve a lot of problems?

Bdearmas3 likes this.
  21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #21 ar4me, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bdearmas3 likes this.
  22. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    That may be the better place to attach a bluetooth adaptor as it must be powered? Unfortunately it's going to be visible though.

23. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    Any good aftermarket radios that fit well with this car? I don't have the stock unit anymore, so at this point, it doesn't make a huge difference to me.

24. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    I had the sam ein my porsche 996 gt3, the easiest is to remove the cd changer and replace with an ipod plug in

it is plug and play 100%

25. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    What do you mean "play around with the CE changer"?
    What have you done?

Ciao
    Shiva