Can you convert FF to RWD? | FerrariChat

Can you convert FF to RWD?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Kaizu, Jun 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kaizu

Kaizu Rookie

Oct 14, 2005
    I apologize I'm not experienced with this model, but could it be converted to be a full time RWD? Anyone done that, any details?

Every spirited driver has given some complaints about the 4WD system of FF.

I'm thinking a RWD FF would be an awesome driver's car compared to an ordinary FF, even though it would lose its winter use capabilities.

Your views?

Thanks!

SVR likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Why not just get a GTC-T?

I would imagine doing this to an FF or GTC4 would be expensive and fraught with complexities.

LVP488 likes this.
  3. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #3 996TTurbo, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2017
    Excuse me, Every?

I own an FF, power slide the **** out of it whenever I want, GT2 owner/track guy here too :)
    I have no complaints with it, its not RWD tail happy but its still fun as hell if you know what you're doing

350MH83 likes this.
  4. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes its not a Range Rover in terms of 4WD in the mud, but hell this car is amazing! I drive it anyway all the time in ESC off so most power goes in the rear.

Bas likes this.
  5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yes can easily do it. Sell it and buy a F12

I can't see a valuable reason to enter this technical headache to disconnect the Front wheels, except killing resale value and endanger the very sophisticated 4WD system.

6. Kaizu

Kaizu Rookie

Oct 14, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, highly appreciated!

Why am I so stupid I ask? Just love the RWD handling and visiting tire shops... :)

Why interested in FF RWD? Where I live the FF can be had for a lot lower price than the F12. It has the needed 4 seats and I love the styling of FF more than of F12 (TDF excluded), the clown shoe look is something unique and I still have a Z3 Coupé from early days in my collection).

Not worried about resale here. I modify my cars but keep the looks always on OEM or "OEM+" spec. One of the cars I have is a 996 Turbo with proper RWD conversion and I think it did not destroy that car, it's fastest street-legal 996 I know of on race tracks.

I'll have to do some test drives with FF and check it out in more detail. FF is so rare compared to F12 at least among my friends.

Nicky_Santoro and SVR like this.
  7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Converting an FF to just RWD would be a VERY complex and expensive undertaking for sure

Remember, the FF is NOT "All wheel drive" - the fronts get ZERO torque applied unless the software determines it's required....this is not an Audi/XDrive/4Motion/et al system

As for 996 Porsches, it's true it's "easier" to disable the front drive, as it has a transfer case you can disconnect and the software itself is adjustable

To "disconnect" the FF, you'd need to remove the 4RM box, probably rebuild a custom adaptor for the front of the engine, and more importantly reprogram the (many) ECU's that are expecting to see a 4RM system hanging there ready to work. If money is no object and you have access to VERY capable modern Ferrari mechanical and software engineering resources, go for it.

The better option is to get an FF and enjoy it - sounds like you don't have much seat time in one. The fronts will add torque only in specific situations, and only up to a specific point, and you likely won'd notice it. Plus the FF has such a long wheelbase and such a high polar moment of inertia that even in RWD, it would not be tail happy to start with (though yes, you can drift an FF).

Bas likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You know, you might be on to something... what if you could program the FF to simply not use the front PTU and then whatever compensation you need at the rear. Again, I think you would be better off buying the FF and just enjoying it, or 612, GTC4T, F12, 599, take your pick...

9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    that's sort of how the car is designed now; essentially, if "all is good", then the front tires would never get any torque

In our experience (2 FF's, 18K miles?) the front drive kicks in and is noticeable 1) under hard acceleration where the rears break loose - but not too much, as the weight bias is already rearward and doesn't take much to get front slip 2) in low-medium grip, slow-medium speed corners where the car would want to oversteer and 3) when the car has rotated and the car is trying to have the fronts (with grip) "pull" the car through

Most people would never try it, but doing an autocross, or ideally a wet autocross, is a great way to see how the 4RM intervenes.

<< end of piling on>>

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  10. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Not worth the trouble.

11. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    What's keeping an owner from having the front half shafts removed? Leave everything else in place.

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    <<piling on again>>

Nothing. I'm guessing that in the event that the sensors (yaw sensor, wheel speeds, throttle position, steering angle, and about 10+ others) would normally trigger the 4RM to engage, it would trigger a 4RM error as torque is applied and goes nowhere

probably a combination of 4RM errors, plus it would likely trip "data not plausible" errors (i.e. it's expecting something, doesn't see it, and triggers).

One of the beautiful things about the FF, and most modern Ferraris, is how the 100's of sensors are integrated and the software works; on the other hand, it can be a nightmare if there are issues and/or be the nannies that won't go away

<<actual end of piling on>>

For all the cost, time, effort and resource of trying to do this to an FF, I wonder if a One-Off would be more cost effective? It would be a cool "experiment" for sure

13. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Or , for that matter, just do as a member said above, and buy a Lusso W/ V8 RWD..

IMO , the draw of the FF IS the AWD system

14. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I think you should try it and come back and explain to us how it worked out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonicsound and iloveferrari like this.
  15. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    Seriously?? I have no problem going sideways in mine......

350MH83 likes this.
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I love the shooting brake styling of the FF, too. You should check out the M Coupe concept below. IMO, it's really bada$$ and it should see production:
    https://www.motor1.com/news/148707/bmw-m-coupe-concept-rendering/

17. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Sure dump the gear into 4th and the car becomes RWD......

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I thought it's the 5th.

19. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    False. Show some links please.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why? The car never really feels 4WD. It grips very good yes but it doesnt have that awkard understeer that most 4wd cars have. The font is actually very direct.

iloveferrari likes this.
  21. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California

Why... because there are a lot of retards in this world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    New to the forum here, plan on purchasing a FF in the next year. Stumbled across this thread and there is a guy on youtube who claims his FF has been converted to RWD and he does some good burnouts in his video. Not sure about any of it, but he claims it is.

Watch "STRAIGHT PIPED V12 FERRARI WITH $100k in MODS! *Insane FLY BYS*" on YouTube

MrAwilson likes this.
  23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
  24. Sonicsound

Sonicsound Karting

May 14, 2017
    SVR likes this.
  25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Allow me to chime in, I have converted a few cars to RWD over the years, and there are lots of issues you should consider beyond the fact the car would likely be worthless to 99.9% of people. Electronics, switching older cars like the Gallardo and 996TT, which did not have electronics controlling the amount of power being sent to the wheels are fairly easy, but even those cars had issues with traction controls (like they stopped working), I can only imagine what sensors are used in a FF and they would react (it might not even move) to the car in RWD. Balance, it took about a month to get the balance right in the Gallardo, less in a 996TT (I know Porsche's better), and it required a new set of wheels and tires as well as suspension changes. I have never driven a FF (I have driven recently the Lusso in RWD) , but my guess is you would need to rebalance the car to get the feeling you are looking for. I am all for doing crazy things to cars (I still keep an example of my craziness in a garage at my company, but I would say just by a RWD Lusso. In the long run it is smarter (and less expensive) move.