Best Drying Towels | FerrariChat

Best Drying Towels

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ko23, Jun 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    I had a 24x36 synthetic chamois that lasted 20 years and it was the best at absorbing water - better than most microfiber or "absorber" stuff that is on the market. However, it is old and I need to get a new one. I haven't found anything that is close and I never knew the brand that I had except it was gifted to me by a car detailer.

What is the most absorbent streak free drying towel that is on the market today? Waffle weave microfiber? Synthetic chamois? or something else that I have never even heard of?

Thanks!

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Chemical guys Woolly Mammoth....

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    If you can get away with using a leaf blower or dedicated air drier that's a much, much better way to go than using towels. That's the way I dry my cars so I can't help with towel choices. You could probably find some good advice on the detailing forums though.

4. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    What blower you recommend?

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I'm a cheapskate so I use a leaf blower but the people who own these really seem to love them: The Metro Master Blaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower.

I don't recall hearing anything bad about them.

Autogeek runs some decent sales on occasion so if you're not in a hurry just sign up for their emails and bide your time until you can get one for 20-25% off and free shipping, since they really ding you on the shipping otherwise.

Using air really reduces micro scratches and increases the life of whatever protectant you have on the paint.

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Thank you very much. Ordered!

7. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

My advice is get the unit with the longer (30 foot) hose, which makes the blower much more useable. After using this method you will never go back to using towels to dry a car or motorcycle.

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    So true.

Hope it works well for you, F12KID.

9. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I think you are really going to like this unit. I have had one for five years and use it a lot. It really gets the dirty water out of seams etc. that no towel can get into. One thing to look out for though. If you use it on a normal 15 amp receptacle it will occasionally trip the breaker (this happened at two different homes that I had). Those two motors really put out. I had a dedicated 20 amp put in the garage and no problems with it.

10. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    The metrovacs are great. I would advise using a very soft and absorbent towel to follow behind as your blowing the water out. Sometimes if you miss something you will have water spots. The other thing I noticed while using the metrovac is since it is heating up the water it tends to dry it on the surface sometimes if the droplets are small and this creates a water spot. Chasing with a towel in your other hand will remove the residual water that isn't fully blown away. I only use Microfiber Madness towels to dry with. I love their Dry Me Crazy towels. Super soft and very absorbent. Carpro-us sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

I bought from uk so I presume they will supply me with the correct voltage etc....thanks for the heads-up....finally, the ultimate drying machine

12. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you are still looking for an excellent drying towel: Griot's PFM towels are the best out there in my opinion. The best I have used and are simply amazing.

I also have the Master Blaster and love it! You will not be disappointed.

13. jrcdds

jrcdds Rookie

Nov 16, 2014
    I use Ammo NYC's Hydrate and his microfiber.....looks great and I can't handle micro scratches

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Joe was referring to the fact that the electric motor draws more current than most household appliances and is therefore right at the edge of the load capacity of the typical circuit here in the States. So don't expect to be able to run anything else on the same circuit at the same time and be prepared for the possibility that you'll need a dedicated circuit that will handle the load, at least if your circuit ampacity standards are the same as ours.

15. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Ahh got it....no idea, way beyond my technical capacity....there is only one plug where this will be used so I guess/hope I'm safe....

16. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Absolutely love this combo....Hydrate is the real deal.

*info for others*....the purpose of hydrate is to add lubricant between the towel and paint to prevent scratches....and as a bonus it also adds an extra layer of protectant to the paint.

Larry, guy in video who created hydrate, takes care of a couple fchatters cars.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hzJImmvNU[/ame]

17. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    Has anyone used the AMMO paint protection method and washing? Seems very complex.

18. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    What happened to the old ways of using Pinnacle Wax and then some clay bar once a year?

19. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My car is coated so I use leaf blower to get most of the water off. Then I use the Gyeon Q2M Silk Drying Towel. The towel is AMAZING! I use no pressure and simply pull the towel across the surface. It sucks up water like you wouldn't believe. I highly recommend it. Available at Esoteric.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This guy does make some nice videos but man - he talks WAY too much :)

21. jrcdds

jrcdds Rookie

Nov 16, 2014
    Yep....actually find it easy....at least once ton are used to it.....especially when just washing and drying

I have 3 cars with skin on them and 2 with reflex and skin.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think there is a need to heat the air to dry effectively. High volume is better than lower volume air that's warmer especially in door jambs, panel gaps, engine and rear area. I use the largest Craftsman wet vac that detaches as a dedicated blower - just $125 and it has high speed as well as high volume without risking dry spotting and tripping breakers. Long waterproof cord, no hoses to contact the paint and nothing to drag around and inhale dirt off the floor. But it is loud and its - well - a Craftsman so it will likely not last very long. The point is never touch modern Ferrari paint with a dry towel unless you are a big fan of scratches.