24 Heures du Mans 2017 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

24 Heures du Mans 2017

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Jan 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Chase Carey and Zak Brown in talks with Porsche and Toyota to provide engines for 2021. Mclaren in talks with Porsche and Toyota for 2021 to provide engines for Mclaren when they make the switch to Mercedes in 2018.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my parents had a few Toyotas in the 80's/90's and I had an MR2 Spyder. I love the brand's past. I'd still love to have an all track Celica or a 95 Supra Turbo.

but since 2002 (15 years!) Toyota has tried, and mostly failed, to compete at the highest level of global motorsports. yes that reflects poorly on the brand, their culture, and their engineering to me. add to that the fact that they no longer make anything sporty other than the GT86 (no Celica, no Supra, no MR2, no hot hatches) and I don't even consider them.

:)

the Tacoma is my primary interest. my BIL is on his second Sequoia and loves it, and he lives in TX!

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    How about there Lexus brand....RC F line....new one has 467hp/383ft lbs???

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    their racing programs haven't been going so well either ;)

and at that price point (~$70k), far more interesting options.

5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I here ya....my brother HAD a 392 challenger after giving up his C6 vette (modified it somewhat)....then my nephew came along so he sports a Tahoe LT (former Border Patrol now in D.C.). Thats all they use down here when going cross country to catch "illegal aliens"....oooopppsss...sorry..."undocumented people."

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

They did great in the GTE-AM class, I'd love to see them win in the LP-1 class. All in all it was a great race, by far my favorite.

7. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    What comes of this result is what I'm most fascinated by now. Will Toyota hang it up? Will the LMP style be abandoned like GT1 and a new "formula" tried? The new rules are going to be more expensive, it would seem, so will anyone want to stick that out?

All I know is inhope DPi is not made the future because those cars are BORING! Downfall of IMSA.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    To Toyota's credit, they've learned some hard lessons from their sports car racing exploits at
    Le Mans over the years, unfortunately in a very public way.

In the late 90's when they came with three car teams of GT1s and a stellar lineup of drivers,
    they rather arrogantly did no other races. They opted to test only instead of taking part at
    Sebring or the entire championship to be race ready.

Despite the Toyota GT1s being perhaps one of the best looking and well suited cars at Le Mans,
    many would point out that their lack of success was the direct result of them not having race
    experience leading up to Le Mans like BMW or Audi did.

That not being the case this year, they came loaded for bear this year after last year's embarrassing
    last lap debacle. On pace, they were clearly superior to Porsche as at one point right after an early
    caution, the Porsche led with the Toyota right behind. From the helicopter view, once there was
    clear track, the Toyota leapt past the Porsche making the later look like it was going backwards
    when the Toyota's hybrid motor kicked on, it looked like a rocket.

Toyota had all the bases covered especially when they decided to bring three cars. But what
    we witnessed this weekend was perhaps the Achilles heel of hybrid power was keeping the hybrid
    motors cool as with the soaring temperatures at Le Mans, keeping those units cool was something
    they weren't ready for.

BHW

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you're a PR guy, aren't you?

:D:D:D

10. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I want that hat trick shirt.

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    ^^This^^

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I want to see a move towards more road based "prototype" cars. Bring back wild homologation specials with a requirement to sell 500 or so road cars. Who wouldn't want to see real world super/hyper cars tearing up Le Mans again?

Mark

13. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I want to see a move towards more road based "prototype" cars. Bring back wild homologation specials with a requirement to sell 500 or so road cars. Who wouldn't want to see real world super/hyper cars tearing up Le Mans again?

Mark

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMO they missed a huge opportunity to bring back GT1 with the 918, P1, LaFa etc

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I agree.

Also,

I agree.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, but never for Toyota Racing.

BHW

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Must you always be so unpleasant? Seriously man - you are the only person here I've ever wanted to put on an "ignore" list because you're just so bloody rude. I'm sure you think you are quite funny - but you need to know that your "style" spoils the enjoyment - particularly in the F1 section - for many others.

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe they should have been more cautious of who they chose to partner with. Like by not accepting the advances of a man who swaps corporate identities like you and I change our shirts.

19. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Yep, but you forget to mention the SCG003. :)

And, I agree with your agreement.

Mark

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Fernando Alonso to compete in the 2018 86th 24 hours of LeMans.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

IMO, should be like this:

GTE-AM should be GT3 cars
    GTE-PRO should be ''GT1'' cars like 812 SF, Aventador and so on. Hypercar route is interesting but would manufacturers spend the $? Can't see the likes of Michelotto buying a LaFerrari to modify for racing use either...
    LMP2 as is
    LMP1 DPi (so LMP2 chassis with own bodywork and bigger engine)

For Toyota?

22. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Overall a pretty good race. Had to watch all recorded segments to keep track of the P1 ongoing sagas and close battles in GTPro. Poor LMP2 driving another headline this year, notably the bone head move taking out the Risi car early on. Ferrari did pretty well being in contention until the final hour and of course for sweeping the AM class. Now to focus on the remaining F1 action.

23. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Great race but I had sparse time to follow it close enough.

Is there a website with recorded lap times during the race? I googled but could not find it. Nice to see the difference between team mates and if there is improvement during the 24 h.

Ciao Oscar

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Or Porsche....one of the two.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008