456GT Window Control ECU #153096 | FerrariChat

456GT Window Control ECU #153096

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by asgor, Jun 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Rats! Looks like the window control ECU on my 456GT is toast. I have been working on it for two days and I have ruled out just about everything else.

I have read up on this topic both here and across other forums, and I am fully aware that this ECU unit is... ahem... difficult to find.

I am currently on the hunt and I can use any suggestions/recommendations you are willing to share on how to get my hands on one - possibly without having to pawn a kidney.

Also, has anyone had any luck with places like ECU Doctor, etc. for this kind of repairs - if in fact repairing is the best (or only) option?

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    What is the complaint you have with the ecu, have you completely ruled out a door harness cabling issue?

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I swapped L/R ECUs and the problem followed the "bad" ECU. It's definitely the ECU.

4. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    peter smith west in auckland, nz, has a 456 tht he is wrecking, so may be able to help.

his cell is:+64 27 750 6319

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you for the lead! I called Peter but he told me he has already sold both window ECUs. And the search goes on...

6. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I think I have found this ridiculously rare part. In fact, I think I may have found more than one! Phew, I was getting sweaty palms there for a minute...

I'll wait until everything is finalized and the box(es) in the mail and then I'll post a "close the loop" update.

7. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I don't think they're terribly rare, these ECUs often get the blame for other issues.They do suffer from rain water ingress and they contain relays which may be affected. Otherwise pretty sturdy electronics.
    There's two of them in every 456 wrecked and that means it is likely there are hundreds out there collecting dust on shelves. The art is to find one!

8. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Fixed it. I was able to locate and purchase a NEW window control ECU (yes, "new" as is "shrink-wrapped and still in box"! - what are the odds?) from a used parts dealer surplus.

Installed the new ECU, plugged in all connections, turned on the battery switch and all is working well again. Cheers!

9. JNelson

JNelson Rookie

Apr 4, 2017
    Neenah, WI
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Glad to hear that you were able to find one and that it fixed the problem for you.

10. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Indeed... ;-) Thank you for your help, Jason!

11. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    Hello,

Same problem for me on the left window (swapped also and the problem also follow the bad ECU).

Has anybody got an idea to get one ??

Many many many thanks in advance for your answers ;)

12. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Sent you a PM

13. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    I’ve found one in Germany. Everything is ok

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had to replace both of those. Ferrari dealerships have go-to people for rare parts like that if they can't get new ones anymore, but Ferrari still had new ones six years ago. I'm sure independents have networks too. So, if you can't find one on your own, there's always that option. I'd try to get two, if I were you, in case the other goes.

vitajojo38 likes this.