Land Rover Reliability | FerrariChat

Land Rover Reliability

Discussion in 'British' started by SL%%, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    Friends, just wanted to ask if anyone can share their experience(s) with the current model of Land Rover, particularly the Range Rover Sport be it gas or diesel on how reliable they are?

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    I've heard they've been quite good from friends, but there's a gas one parked a few spots down from us in our garage and he has a loaner Discovery Sport very very very often and usually for a long period of time. Judging by what friends have told me he may have just gotten unlucky though

3. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Not unlucky,just normal. Unless there has been miraculous changes these cars have more than their share of problems. Had one. Now if they made it with a British body,and everything German underneath,it would be like a Bentley.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure they are fine. TaTa has done great things for JLR. I'm sure they are still pricey to fix but if my Jag is any indication, they are fine. I would not hesitate to buy one if I was interested.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Andrew is right. They have an abundance of issues. My dentist bought a new one and had such extreme issue (all mechanical) that he traded it short of a year for a large Lexus version. Another friend bought a Rover new & the paint came off the body in sheets as he drove. Several acquaintances of mine with repair facilities refuse to schedule any in for repairs as they state (quote) " They come in for one broken thing - then two other things break while it is here getting the first issue repaired"

You must know this... Its pretty widely known that Rovers can & should only be owned while under warranty. They have a less than stellar reputation.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had a 2016 Range Rover sport supercharged autobiography for a year and a half, not a singe issue.

7. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    Realize it's a way off from "current" model, but I'm still running a 2006 RRS, now with 160k miles. Mostly just maintenance items is all it's needed, and I used it quite a bit to tow an enclosed trailer for the cars. I'd consider a Sport over a Full Size for many reasons, but the Sports have always been more reliable.

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    3 Autobios sport in a row
    Can you say potent engines?
    Other than factory recalls on minimal matters.
    Never been in shop other than 15,000 mile interval services.

No I said something, watch what happens.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Had 7 Range Rovers since 1996, all bulletproof reliable, no issues with any of them.
    First was 1996 4.0, last 2014 Autobiography LWB.
    Always find it funny to read comments from a guy who owned one 15 years ago, purchased used with 100k miles, complaining what a total crap all Land Rover products are and swearing he would never buy another one.

10. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Perhaps the answer is there are intermittent quality issues. Last I time I went to the dealer to buy a part,there was a brand new rover plugged in to be charged........

11. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    #11 cmparrenzo, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    I bought a new 2006 Range Rover sport for my wife and put over 180,000 miles on it with ZERO issues. I bought a 2008 Ranger Rover HSC for myself and put over 140,000 miles on it again with ZERO issues. I then bought a 2013 Ranger Rover HSE which now has 33,000 miles on it and it is going for a bad left front strut next week, (covered under warranty) that is it.

I have friends with Ranger Rovers and not one has had a bad experience.

I am confident early RR's may have been troublesome but since 2006, my experience has been its the best vehicle I have ever owned, I think contemporary RR issues are more urban legend than reality.

BTW I ONLY use a RR dealer for service, using an independent shop for any modern car is almost always a bad idea.

12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have had a 2005 then a 2008 rover.... never had any major issues... a battery went dead once while it sat at the airport for 3 weeks... no big deal.. I would buy another...

13. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    friend, those Rovers of yours that you mentioned, do you drive them like everyday, every other day?

from where I am, trust me, the dealership isn't really that great in terms of fixing cars. I've seen countless times where the dealers can't and seems like confused on what the problem is or are but taken to an independent shop where I myself knows the mechanic (who is the owner) and you'll see his lot full of high end cars...

we only have one JLR dealer here and worse, it just closed... a few months back, saw their service center, and there's a row of Land Rovers awaiting for parts...

14. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Previous and current owner of LR cars. On my second full HSE 07 RR SC with no issues (knock on wood) And YES, I drive mine regularly with least a few hundred miles a week. Last 06 RR SC was a dog, - full of electrical gremlins and traded it in for a new Mercedes SUV and went back to the Range. IMO - nothing compares to these cars (except the G class) But, there are 'bad' ones out there so it'***** or miss.

Lease one if it makes financial sense, and go from there. At least it's covered under warranty.

15. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I do drive my Range Rover nearly every day. Since you have not completed your profile, I don't know where you live but I am in Kansas City and Aristocrat is an excellent dealer with a very well trained service department. We also have a G Wagon that they service as they are also a Mercedes dealer and they are excellent in service with our Mercedes as well. We truly only have to use them for routine service as the RR's simply have not had any issues.

FYI our Mercedes is not as reliable as our RR's.

I can only speak as an owner of RR's for over 11 years...

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Rarely been without rr since 96. Had most of the models, disco, rr, rrs. All from new and for 3 yr leases. Currently with 14 rrs. Only issue ever was a/c leak on rr in 04 and air suspension pump in current one after off road trip. Sounds crazy considering rr is one of the least reliable cars in all the surveys like jd power but thats been my experience.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I have several relatives that have owned RRs spanning many generations and they have had no major issues. None of them though have owned the BMW-powered one, which I have noticed comes up more in reliability conversations than others. My family had a '98 740iL and that M62 engine gave quite a lot of troubles once it hit 100k...I know the RRs that used the M62 were the VANOS version (our 1998 was the last year of non-VANOS), but still it's not that reliable of a powerplant at high mileage from personal experience.

18. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    The 2010-2012 suffer from bad timing chain guides. Can be costly to replace. (Plastic guide pins wear out and the fix is metal guides.)

If I were buying one of these, I'd make sure the guides have been done. The problem would usually arise after the car was out of warranty. The Jag-engined (2006-2009) are pretty bulletproof. The newer L405 version (2013-2017) seem to be as well.

The BMW engined ones (2003-2005) have the VANOS issues as mentioned above.

19. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I have a 2006 RR Sport Supercharged that I bought new in late 2005. I still have it after 11+ years and 130,000 miles because it's been so incredibly reliable. Other than brakes and tires I've had to do surprisingly little to it. Over the last couple years I've had to spend a few grand on something related to the steering (can't recall what) and a new alternator. I haven't had any problems with the air suspension (knock wood) that I hear can be problematic. It's a tough truck that drives more like a car.

We also have a 2015 Sport SVR and that has also been super reliable, with the one exception of it needing a new differential recently, something the dealer said they haven't seen before.

The newer model is much more powerful and luxurious but I prefer the size and road feel of the prior generation. If I were in the market for a used one I would probably look for a low mile prior gen Sport Supercharged Autobiography.

20. dt34

dt34 Rookie

Aug 20, 2013
    Michigan
    Wife has a 2011 RR Sport Suprercharged that has been great. For an SUV the thing is pretty darn fast. It's a great vehicle for long road trips, other than the gas mileage.

21. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    My '06 Sport has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Only defect has been a bad ride height sensor. Chews through pads and rotors like a champ. Other than than, it's been bulletproof.