Dyno Day | FerrariChat

Dyno Day

Discussion in '348/355' started by schnazzy, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #1 schnazzy, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I was supposed to be doing a set of dyno runs for my other car since it was the BMW club holding the dyno day but in the end the car wasn't ready so I ran my 1995 F355.

Here is a screen capture at about 130+ in 4th (or 5th). As well as the graph. Note that the dark blue line is run 3.

300RWHP and 220RWTQ seems to be in the right range for a 1995 F355 on a dynojet. No carbon came out which was a good sign. Many people commented that the high pitched F1 sound of the Capristo echoed into the business park.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Nice pic but where is the video of that baby screaming?!

3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    very nice.. what other exhaust bits do you have on the car other then the Capristo..?

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    ^^^ what he said about the video!

5. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I have the video, it is screaming, I can't upload it here because it is too large (even making it SD resolution). I'll figure something out.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice pic :) Easy to upload to youtube.

Is your car stock other than the Capristo? (stock cats/y-pipe?)

Is your car an early dual pump car or later single pump?

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Those Dynojets are really conservative in their readings. I think my car registers about 254 on them and 302 on a Dynapak. As we have mentioned before, it's not about the actual number as much as the comparative numbers when you are doing modifications.

8. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My car dynoed 290ish rwhp on a Dynojet - pretty comparable to yours. I suspect my exhaust system is costing me a few HP and it appears I had some ignition break up at high rpm.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice numbers.

You averaged 300/whp & 214/wtq.

10. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Custom headers (before aftermarket ones were available), hyperflow cats, capristo exhaust. It's unlikely the head is doing anything in fact it might be less than if I had a tubi. The hiflow cats probably add 5 rwhp. The capristo probably does nothing. These thoughts are based on 7 different cars on dyno's with before and after. Rarely does an exhaust consistently give more than a couple % over stock in a car like this. hiflow cats, sure, a bit. Putting 355 challenge rims would probably show a bigger gain (or less loss) than anything else you could reasonably add to it. Maybe a tune but thats about it.

1995 (october), single pump, dual MAF of course, custom header, hyperflow cats, capristo 3.

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Alex - you are shifting at way too low RPM. Wind it up!! :)

12. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    lol

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #15 308 GTB, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    308 GTB.... adjustments? from you? Alex at Daytona? or Felix?

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    If optimized on a dyno like Barry's car there are a few hp to be had but I wouldn't expect to gain 30+hp from just that.

My 95B made 327/245 with stock chips for example.

16. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    hahaah, I just noticed the dyno charts said "Felix" on them.

I can certainly get 330 on a dyno, I just have to find the right one and the right day. Chassis dyno's do vary. What I want to find is someone who has done a before AND after a tune as an example. Based on the rareness of this information from the community, i'd say very few hp can be gleaned out of this car.

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Dynojet numbers should be rather close in comparison but yes there will be some variance.

Barry do you have your charts in SAE correction factor as well?

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Just listened to this now.

Are you sure your bypass valve is opening? Sounds like it might not be.

Unless it's just a difference in sound with yours having the secondary cats and mine not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcO6pH-lnjU

19. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Yep. Open.

The first run was in 5th and the 2nd was in 4th just to see if there was a difference in power. Both gears open at 2800 RPM and that is about where I started on the runs and did so at full throttle so you don't hear a change. In the raw footage of the video I started a run at about 2200 and you can hear the switch in volume at 2800-2900 but it is low in the range so it isn't all shrilly. The other option is to 50% throttle to say, 5k rpm like it seems in your video and then punch it and the valves then will open at that RPM. I wasn't looking for a "sound" video but what power my car put down so I did the standard dyno routine. (including not shifting gears when on the pull,... dave.). Next year I might do a multi-gear pull for the sound.

It was loud enough you could hear it echo through the business park.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Was thinking the same

Sounds leveled off, might be the audio thingy in the microphone thingy

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +2 .... doesn't sound like bypass is open at WOT ..... if that is the case ... it should add around 11 RWHP on that dynojet, with an open bypass running a capristo single bypass system ... :)

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL

Ok, just thought I would mention it as I didn't hear it open and seemed a bit on the quiet side for a Capristo system. I'm sure the valve switching in person is noticeable so you would know if it wasn't working.

Any details on your headers? I'm guessing still 4-2-1 based on the power curve.

My car was ran in 5th, started at 58mph/3400rpm and immediately wide open throttle.

23. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    It is 4-2-1 and is custom (1st owner). If I was in 5th at 2800+ and smashed the loud pedal, the valve is just immediately open. The only time it goes past the RPM mark is in 2nd if I ease in on 2nd and then mash at say 2500rpm. Then it takes up to about 4k rpm to open.

The valve switching is noticeable. It was so loud at 8k rpm that everyone one plugged their ears or put on protection.