No LaFerrari Aperta? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

No LaFerrari Aperta?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This article falls squarely in the 'Don't believe everything you read.' category. :D

I'm actually rather surprised that the LA Times was bothered to publish this act of self-aggrandizement. I'm sure Ferrari will get the message though, and hopefully keep him off the list. The fact that they let him build an F12 TdF to mimic his claimed Lusso Comp (fake) is maybe a sign that's not the case though. :(

>8^)
    ER

2. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    ah what a shame..i am in no way defending him but i just couldn't be bothered checking out his clients doing the same dumb **** that he has been doing :)

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Is there a particular reason that half the forum is troubled by someone in the 0.001% of not being able to purchase something costing as much as 10 good houses?

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That would be a nice first world problem to have. I don't understand why so many people are upset over what he does or doesn't do with his free time. This and many other instances in life fit nicely with the saying "don't believe what you read and only half of what you see." As long as the guy isn't breaking the law, I couldn't care less how he acquired the cars or claims to.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I don't think "half the forum is troubled" at all, the only reason they are discussing this topic is the article about not getting a LaFerrari Aperta posted in the Los Angeles Times yesterday, it was sent to me by someone, and I posted it here in the Ferrari Supercars section. In reality, I think the vast majority could give a Flying Ferrari whether the subject of the article is or isn't able to purchase the car in question.

I don't think "so many people are upset" over what he does with his free time at all, I think they are simply expressing their thoughts in response to the article, and discussing the very public persona that the article's subject has himself created.

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Agreed!
    It's really too bad that when you're in he limelight, everyone has an opinion good or bad.
    I know David, have gone to his meets, have bought watches from him, have had dinners with him, have gone on rallies/runs with him. He is a car ambassador with a passion for cars and watches.
    Whatever the hell Ferrari wants do as far as clientele business is their silly game.
    David is a pretty straightforth guy who is always willing to share his passion. This says a lot more than other collectors who just hide their cars in dark garages.

Sent from my 16M

7. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    is there a reason why you are troubled enough to comment on a topic that you described as a top 0.001% first world problem?

8. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    David Lee may possibly be all these bad things some of you are saying he is, or he likely isn't any of them. All I know is that he has an incredible collection and he's good enough to share it with many. Even if his motives are self promoting, I really don't care. The man seems rather kind, harmless and good natured enough. As for Ferrari not selling him an Aperta, that's certainly their prerogative. I can see why his persona doesn't fit into their brand strategy with their ultra exclusive cars. I'm sure Lee will find a way to acquire one eventually, if he so desires.

10. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    He's got the money to play Ferraris games and he's got more then enough to get the cars he wants that they won't give him. Good for him. I don't see how this is news at all. He'll get the aperta when one comes up for sale.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I don’t think anyone is saying “bad things”, I think people are simply reacting to what he has put out in the media over time.

I think he wants this to be “news", the content in this piece published in the LA Times this week certainly suggests that, and to that end, this thread would not even exist if he hadn’t facilitated the publication of yet another article in the media.

That said, I think most would agree that he is a Ferrari Supercar enthusiast and are not disputing that.

12. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    When limited edition models are down to just a few hundred units world wide it's not surprising just having enough money to buy one doesn't cut it to become a owner. I'm not sure how he thinks being publicly dissatisfied with ferraris vetting process and having this article published will do anything but shut the door on any future LE models direct from the factory. He's effectively ensuring his pays open market prices over msrp.

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I'll say bad things - he's often deceptive and if he cared about his image as much as it appears he'd have made sure that some factual inaccuracies in the article did not make it into print with his name associated. Or perhaps that was intentional?

>8^)
    ER

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What people or entities own some of the DL collection? I don't mean names of individuals. But who are they investors in his company or his friends ? I'm not getting this. He just wants to be a famous car guy and promote his business I guess.

15. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #40 starboy444, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    I follow David Lee on Instagram.... I'm also torn on this subject as the rest of the forum. It all looks kosher from the outside, but we don't know the inside details of his business / personal dealings.

The only thing that I deduce from this is that David Lee is the 'Kim Kardashian' of Ferrari Collectors....

- They both have tons of Time and Money to buy what they want
    - They both have large and successful 'brands' aka businesses
    - They both have a large social media following
    - They both enjoy self fulfillment and self promotion

- But you will never see Kim Kardashian being Sponsored by Louis Vuitton or Hermes. Just the same as you will never see David L being Sponsored by Ferrari / Pagani
    (you may see Kim K wearing the brands in public, and attending fashion shows and photo shoots.) But this is only visual... there is absolutely no direct sponsorship deal between her and the Luxury Brands.

These people will never be true Brand Ambassadors for these companies. The Aura they emit is counter - intuitive for the brand.. that's why all of the World Class Luxury Goods Companies will stay arms-length from these people.

Associating and Supplying the wrong people with your product can Hurt the companies image... Supply and Demand says that there is a small gap of who, and who should not receive direct endorsement from the company.

These upper echelon brands have 80 year histories... the business agenda is to always keep the brand "warm"... NOT burn it out.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Very Well Said!
    I know David and he has always been kind to me.

17. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    +1

He has a vacation house near me and is a class act. We've connected on a couple things.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, at the very least it's an interesting strategy.

Erik, if you are speaking of the Lusso, I take it based on the comments of several people that this car has been proven not to be a Competizione as claimed?

19. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1 I would also like to know some more information about his Lusso and if it is/isn't a true comp car.

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Hasn't he lent his Laferrari for a public unsupervised timed laps test? Enough said.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I understand the 250 GT Lusso of David SK Lee is chassis #5847 GT.
    This car was a standard production car and has no race history.
    Born Grigio Argento with Nero VM 8500 interior the 327th Lusso built was completed by the factory 24 June 1964. Sold new by Auto Becker in Düsseldorf, Germany, to a doctor in Berlin. 1967 sold to Sweden. In May 1970 it was driven by Peter Ashtelik from Gothenburg to Stockholm, where it crashed in Karlstad at a gas pump, the damaged Lusso was then left outside and sat the whole winter on a trailer, right front fender and right rear fender were damaged. See also full report and photographs in the "Ferraristi Svezia" club magazine. Then followed a series of Swedish owners and in 1983 the car was driven at the Prix Maritim in Lübeck, Germany, where another mishap happened. It was then ground-up restored by Bachelli & Villa in Bastiglia (Modena) and repainted metallic silver again. During Winter 1991/1992 the car was repainted again, now yellow. A tricolor stripe was added.

Marcel Massini

bonneau13 likes this.
  23. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Thank you very much Marcel!

24. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I don't know David personally but the odd time I do correspond with him through instagram. The first time the laferrari aperta issue bubbled up for him was when it was first announced. I can't remember the exact date but sometime before April 2016.

I do know that many people on instagram asked him about it and he did seem a bit bothered by it but then it wasn't mentioned much until this article came about.

It's possible that some of the people who didn't get one may be bothered by some people who are getting one.

I happened to be at a race track and met up with some people who own a few ferrari dealerships and this topic of ferrari allocations came up.

They told me that the aperta allocation process was very troublesome for them as a dealer. They had submitted their top clients to Ferrari but none of them received an allocation and they were aware that a person received one who had only owned one ferrari. They even told me that it caused such an issue with their existing clients (sort of a rebellion) that they briefly thought about invoking their right to sell the car to which ever client they felt was the most deserving (their legal right as they have final say of who actually gets the car). They obviously did not do this but there does seem to be some dissatisfaction over this

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a sort of issue with car collecting as there's no way one can actually put any real miles on these cars. In my experience, all my performance cars were better after 5-10k miles than 500-1k miles. These things are meant to be used.

Exoticcar, how many miles do you have on your P1 now?