Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there is a guy in my parking garage that bought the badass version.....

he has been driving a loaner for the past couple weeks........

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    dealers wanted over list for a qf when 1st came out. not sure about now

3. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    There is no premium. If you're in California, they are offering $3,500 in conquest cash. $2,750 if not in California.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    discounting qf's? not the way it was here in December. but 1st impressions are most important for dealership and I'm already negative on them

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Problem starts with their launch. Its nto as though they didnt have years to prepare. tehn its ther whole delaer network and ecperince.

lastly you can eitehr get a low pwer verison or a very high power version. Whats missing is the 350hp with a stick version.

the Stelvio will imporve sales, but they still have their dealer issues, the reliability reputation issues./ In the end, besides a few entusiasts, most people dont know crap about cars, so why would they buy an Alfa over a BMW.

Lets not forget sergios other filly, the maserati levante, have they sold any of these dogs at all?

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Levante sales commensurate with the Giulia according to numbers posted by Nigel (NEP), roughly 2,200 through May.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/535795-maserati-levante.html

Have only seen one Giulia in the wild. It likely wouldn't fave caught my attention if not for the unusual front grill.

T

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    A neighbor seems to have just picked up a black on red Q4 - and it looks great. The exterior is better looking than my 335i xdrive, IMO, but the interior doesn't seem to be on par. I still haven't seen one driving though.

I did see my first Kubang on the road in NYC last week. Not for me.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1033 TheMayor, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

JalopCRAP

"no one"?

What baloney!

I have driven the Ti back to back against an equivalent 3 series. Its a superior car all the way around. Its faster, better handling, more sporty, had an awesome hide away TFT screen, and a better exhaust note. And at least in the Alfa you get real leather instead of whatever fancy name BWM calls vinyl.

The problem is -- you have to really want the Alfa because dealers are more rare, the brand has had checkered reliability in the past, resale values WILL be lower, and lease rates for that reason are higher.

You might love the Guilia but buy the 3 series because it does the job and that's all you want.

It's going to be a slow build for Alfa. Just making a better sports sedan isn't enough to make the world run to it's feet. And Japolcrap knows it.

If it has one flaw, I wish it were prettier. Alfa's are supposed to be pretty. This one isn't bad looking but it's just not pretty enough. You can't believe the compliments I get from people on the 4c, even 2 years after buying it. THAT car is "pretty".

9. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Have seen 4 TI's out in the wild, 2 black, 1 red and 1 white...they look pretty dam good to me and are different enough to stand out from your typical A4 or 3 series. People on Jalopnick bagging on the 4cyl version but it does 5 second 0-60, pretty much beats everything else in its class. Handling and steering have tested #1 among its peers. Not sure what the hell everyone expects. Its a dam good car right out of the gate, maybe the best in its class.

Dealer network of course leaves much to be desired and Im not sure what the solution is here if there is one. Most choose to play it safe and the sales #'s prove that out. Will be interesting down the road.

10. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    really dealer dependent and frankly like any "new" hot car...there will be dealers looking to profit from the hype..there are ****ty BMW, MERC and yes even Ferrari dealers that try to do that...
    I got mine in Dec. 2016 and paid MSRP....I know of 1 dealer in the area that was looking for a premium and the car sat for a bit, think it finally sold...friend of mine in Boston got 3500 OFF his Quad in January/February...
    the biggest issue is just getting them right now (Quad), they are not being produced like an M or AMG counterpart.

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Same here. I had a guy in a Ferrari California pull up next to me to ask what my 4c is - he loved the looks, the sound, and is looking for something different to replace the California... :)

I sat in a Giulia QV and felt it was entirely on par with my wife's 2015 BMW 328d wagon in terms of interior quality and feel.

But the Alfa dealerships seem to leave a lot to be desired - feels like they are selling Dodge compacts and not a $90k Italian sedan, which in many cases they are, I guess.

12. dt34

dt34 Rookie

Aug 20, 2013
    Michigan
    Had my GranTurismo ino for annual service the other day and stopped in on the Alfa side. They had 3 QF's on the showroom floor and about 15 or so TI's out on the lot. Man the QF is nice looking in person.

13. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    First and foremost, the Giulia outsold the Jaguar XE in April and May. That's considering the dealership network is nowhere near where it should be yet, that will take time. There was a deliberate decision by corporate to slow down the rollout of models in North America in order for dealers to be able to accomodate clients when the Stelvio would come in.

Most dealers are not even up and running here in Canada and I have seen a few Giulias here and there. This project will take time, dooming it a failure is just nonsense.

The Giulia has been outselling Jag, Volvo and all the Japanese in Europe based only on sedan sales.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Saw a silver base Giulia near my house this morning; hard to mistake it coming at you with that grille...

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    While the first Giulias (Q) hit some dealerships just before the new year. The base and Ti models in volume really didn't arrive until late January and into February. So the monthly sales should be averaged over 4 1/2 to 5 months not 6 by the end of June.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I live 45 minutes from dealership and yet to see single one on road. Have seen handful of new jags though that dealership is only 25 minutes away

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the dealer here in charlotte, nc is terrible. hendrick. I have been twice and they have shown no interest in letting me drive the car. ironic as the local aston dealer is chasing me to drive the db11.

the dealer seems the problem to me ...at least in charlotte. no understanding of alfa, the classical owner, how to convert a bwm or mb owner. bottom line, I ain't considering one until I get some seat time.

18. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    I would be interested, but no dealer here. We have factory Maserati, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls, and ever other franchise except Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Nearest dealer is Sarasota, 90-120 min away in high season traffic.

The cuoio interior of the Ti is very nice with the sport seats. A lot of car for 45k.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Dealerships have always been the weak point of Fiat management.

Which is why it'd be more accurate to say "No one wants to be the first to buy a Giulia". ;)

Not completely accurate, though.

Alfa is currently like the back marker who changes to slicks on a damp track:
    Everyone else is watching to see how that works out for those going early.

When I bought my '88 Celica GT-Four, it was *ten years* before I saw another one.

I even had Toyota dealers swear there was no such car.

The distance to the dealer isn't the issue for me.
    The closest Alfa dealer is 90+ miles away in Nashville.
    But then, so is the closest Mitsu dealer.

Out in the sticks, we're limited to Ford, Chevy, and Nissan.

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    In the UK the biggest problem with Alfa has always been the dealer.
    Not many of them and the service from the sales is just plain dreadful.

MG has sold more cars than Alfa this last month or so here in the UK. MG's are rare.
    I see a good many Giuliettas and MiTos but have not yet seen a Giulia on the road other than an Alfa owners meeting and that was actually the car park.

21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Total 2017 UK Alfa Romeo sales including Giulia and the odd 4C:-

Jan - 284
    Feb - 196
    Mar - 1239
    Apr - 265
    May - 269
    Total - 2253

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Italian cars in the UK have always struggled, more than anywhere else. The media absolutely trashes them for the most part.

The Giulia is already outselling the XE in Europe and the U.S. Nobody talks about that in Britain, or how unreliable British cars were. It's a very complex situation.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Guys,
    I am very active on the Giulia forum and we are tracing the major quirks and dealer issues. It seems a couple of the serious ones might not be so bad or are due to bad parts or assembly. There is already on major software update.

With that said, I am ready to place my order for a Quad. We have many options here around Boston. I made friends with a local salesman who is an Air Force vet like me. A real car guy. Their dealership is small, new and paired with Fiat. The owner has driven Quads on track. There are two larger dealerships with Herb Chambers west of town and then Kelly on the north shore. All three of those are paired with Maserati or other luxury brands. Central Alfa/Fiat is closer to the Ferrari dealer and there is a chance I might even be able to order with them. There was a a Marino blue-technico Quad at a Ferrari event back in April. Pooring rain. It was already owned and registered at that point so I'm not sure where they got it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

herb is a real car guy. he is my parents neighbor in old lyme, ct. I will be there this weekend. I should ask him his thoughts of the qf when I see him.

25. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Hey thanks, I loved that episode where they find his original gold Daytona and bring it back to spec. That's when I realized these were real people with real passion for real cars. I can't believe that I'm now in the middle things.

I also spoke to my service rep at FoNE. They are not part of the Alfa network pretty much because of the FCA corporate structure. Makes perfect sense and I have already gotten some special treatment from the crew. They took me over to the big garage to see the Quad with CC brakes on the lift getting prepped for the showroom. Still had the sticky foam bars on it. And let me tell you, the front splitter is mad huge like 6 to 8 inches wide. Molto downforce. Almost completely under paneled with small cutouts for the exhaust resonators and X or H pipe. Don't remember which actually.

My appointment is at 9:30 tomorrow morning.