Failed coolant hose | FerrariChat

Failed coolant hose

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #1 NeedSpace, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge, my coolant hose on top of my engine failed. Any thoughts on where to purchase a replacement at a reasonable price?

Sorry the pic is upside down, you can see where it failed in the photo just below the clamp, you can see the frayed hose.

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One suggestion is go to the auto parts shop and look at their wall of hoses. You could probably find one that has the bends and straight sections that will fit your needs, then cut to the proper lengths. Take one of your hoses and measure the inside diameter, and find the same. Don't be tempted to buy something that "almost fits".

Since you have to pull the intake plenum, it's best to change then all.

FCnew likes this.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Replaced all mine with silicone, pretty standard. I think there was a 20degree bend piece I had to have made up, otherwise it all came from what they already made. Removing the pipes under the bottom of the car was the fun part!!! Glad I did though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCnew likes this.
  5. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Thanks for all your help. I am going to remove it this weekend and see how it goes. I"ll post my progress!

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Don't mind my typo (thinking about one thing while typing another ). ;)

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    If you are removing the plenum.... Don't drop the anti crush washers from the plenum gasket s down the engine intakes and into the engine. Count them all out.
    I have made a video called plenum removal on YouTube 'thehelidoctor' is the channel.
    Regards Bell

FCnew and Mechanical Dad like this.
  8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    And to be honest whilst it all takes time, if you have the plenum off you might as well take the rad out and flush and treat as required, including check the pads and any corrosion. Similar illy, depending upon what you did last with the water pump, it strips easy and the gaskets are not difficult to replace. Of course, where to draw the line..... but there's surely mothering worse than doing 80% and finding the new weakest link is the one old bit you didn't touch, and you have to drain it again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Hey gang, again thanks for all your help. I finally had a chance to take the plenum off with no luck. At my fathers house with little access to my tools..dammit. Hopefully, I'll have all the tools the next time. Have everything off but the plenum bolts. Hoping to be back on the road soon. And maybe get a garage that will hold all my toys.

BTW, I found this great link that I thought would help people, how to take the plenum off
    https://youtu.be/sI0B5qX5g1g

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is just as easy to cut through the hose clip, rather than struggle trying to remove it.

11. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #11 cockrill, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Thanks for the link to the plenum removal video. It's on my to-do list in order to replace the hoses and for a plenum repaint.

Good luck!

12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    When one rubber hose goes in a system, it is time to change them all so that they have equal strength under pressure.

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    All of the above looks to be great advice. I do not, however, think changing a good water pump is a great idea unless you have superfluous amounts of time and money. Unless it's 15 or so years old, if the pump is not leaking I would leave it. The access to and items necessary to be removed for a water pump change have nothing in common with the job you are currently facing, so why mess with it now? Just my tuppence ...

14. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Thanks for all your help. With the video, I was finally able to get the plenum off and have a look. There are 3 main hoses there. Unfortunately, the PO only replaced one of the hoses as the one closest to the rear of the car looks pretty new. I'll be replacing the other 2. The plenum gaskets look new as well. I am really hoping to get this back together next weekend. Then I can fix my interior door handle. I have the replacement handle partially complete. Just need someone to weld it for me. :) Happily, I have a guy.

And yes, cutting the hoses were far easier than trying to pry them out. Also, the 3 hoses are basically what holds the aluminum splitter in place. Once I removed the clamps on the newer hose, the others slipped out much easier.

Here you can see the steps to take off the plenum and the hoses.

Attached Files:

15. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Had the same thing happen to mine back in October. Went to Napa the next day and found a hose with a similar bend and made my own to be able to pressure test the rest of the system. Found 3 more hoses that were damaged and I ended up replacing all of the hoses with a call to Rutlands.

NeedSpace likes this.
  16. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Hey gang, good news. Last week I removed the offending hose. I noticed one of the hoses had been replaced already, but another one was looking quite bad. I went to autozone and found 2 hoses that we the same size and shape, however, they needed to be trimmed to the right size. Only $27 later. Got it all together and now she's back in business. Just in time to enjoy the fall with here.

Attached Files: