What's For Dinner? | Page 255 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have never grilled fruit.
    Sounds like a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #6352 koisokok, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Web says the dip is green chile cheese fondue. Spicy?
    T

4. DanD.

DanD. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2015
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #6354 DanD., Jun 25, 2017
  5. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Looks awesome!

6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks, the chops were perfect and those portobello mushrooms were excellent too. Have plenty of leftovers!

Going for grilled chicken this evening.

7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Those look good. I need to do a ribeye soon. Great taste but I usually grab another cut.

8. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

As tomc said... pineapple and peaches are great grilled!

9. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    not at all Tom. Or at least in can't taste it being spicy ..

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    First time ever tried to make Pad Thai.
    It came out great - no pics :/
    Next time.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Ya don't post often, but ya post quality! That steak looks crazy good.

Tonight, succotash!
    [​IMG]
    T

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Don't forget the vanilla ice cream!

T

13. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #6363 Nader, Jun 25, 2017
    Experimenting with barbecuing eggs, in a bell pepper. Put some barbecue sauce on them, too. Next time I'll add cheese, maybe some jalapeno sauce, too.

Also did up some steaks and hot dogs. I have a household rule that if we eat a decent cut of meat, we also eat the rest of the animal. Hence, the hot dogs. Not fair to kill the beast just for the tenderloin, right? I use a 15 year-old Weber charcoal kettle. Someday I'd like a BGE, but I worry that it takes too long to get up to temp. Is that true? I can do a quick barbecue on my Weber and be all done within an hour.

Since I'm trying to cut back on my red meat intake (yeah, right!), I made some more mushrooms. Used balsamic instead of red wine. I like the extra tanginess it gives, and it turns syrupy. That handle mitt was a Father's Day gift. My family has heard me curse the hot handles on the Mauviel more than once!

Oh, I like to barbecue with my Buck 119 knife. Works well at the table, too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That's some crazy Alton Brown, mad science stuff there! All of it looks tasty.

Love the pot holder. Is the handle on your Mauviel bronze, stainless or cast iron? Mine is bronze and it's rocket hot in no time. I use a silicon sleeve from a 10" Lodge carbon steel skillet.

As far as the BGE, it's slower than a Weber kettle to get up to cooking temps in my experience. For my Weber kettles, yes that's plural, I use the Weber chimney starter, with crumbled up newspaper, which is easily the greatest invention since sliced bread. I use paraffin cubes to start my BGE. But, even in dry/windy conditions, you can leave the BGE spoke to come up to temp, and go do your mise en place.

If I'm in a rush, I'll just plug in an old floor fan, and blow it over the coals! Then you're rocking in no time.

T

15. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Hi Tom! The handle is bronze. Also have cast iron handled Mauviels that also get quite hot. We have a couple of stainless handled pots/pans that are the thinner 1.5 copper; they don't seem to get so hot so fast.

I'm in agreement about the chimney starter, it's ingenious. Mine is so beat up, one of the rivets for the handle rusted through and popped off. I replaced it with a stainless screw and nut!

If that's true about the BGE, I'll probably pass. I've also looked at the Trager pellet grills, but I think I'll stick with what I know. Besides, I'm sometimes able to snag the two-pack charcoal briquet bags on crazy good deals at the end of the season from Walmart and the box stores. I show up in my F350 and clean out the whole pallet. The recent restrictions on two bags per customer per visit are probably because of me. I should post a pic of my charcoal stash. It's kind of funny!

16. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Love the egg trick. I'm trying that. Love the Buck knife too.

I came from a Webber which was great and the chimney starter was awesome. It died so decided to go for the BGE. Very happy with it. I think it's easier to use and less work than the Webber. Heat up is pretty quick and I don't recall being annoyed at how long it takes. I'll time it next time, but thinking ~20 min to 400F. Plenty hot to start cooking. I use Stump Chunks to start it - easy and they smell great.

Think we all need a pic of your charcoal stash.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

The handles are the one small downside to Mauviel IMO. I use a silicone sleeve from a 10" Lodge carbon steel skillet. It's a kludge, but it works.

If your chimney starter ain't battered, rusted and bruised - y'all ain't a true grill meister.
    Mine.
    [​IMG]

Your 355 is a spider, no? Could hold a lot of bags of charcoal with the top down. Wife buys it at Costco. Usually pretty good prices. I'm running low, for me, 2 bags of lump, 1 of Kingsford briquets.

T

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I used to make it pretty regularly. Secret is has to have fish sauce. Smells horrible but it works so well in some foods. :)

19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    For lighting charcoal there's nothing like firing up the weed torch!! Gets the coals hot in minutes. And I mean HOT. Something like this, although when I replace this one I'm looking for one with igniter or pilot.
    Lincoln Electric Inferno Propane Torch Kit-KH825-01 - The Home Depot

And yes, I also use it for burning weeds. :)

Oh, and I use chunk charcoal. Generally grab a couple bags of Royal Oak, it's pretty consistent.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I've asked. Wife says no flame throwers. Women. They just don't understand the benefits of pyrophorics!
    T

21. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #6371 Nader, Jun 26, 2017
    I'm about 1/4 through my stash. I keep this bin full, then have another dozen bags (216 lbs.) in the basement. Man, Tom, you weren't kidding about your chimney patina. Looks like the top rivet popped off like mine. Here you can see how I replaced the fastener. Oh, and I sport a 348 targa. It'll carry groceries and fast food, but I draw the line at charcoal.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

You're the King of Charcoal!
    T

23. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #6373 Nader, Jun 26, 2017
    Thanks! I like the sound of that!

You'll be seeing more "egg tricks" if these little turds start laying them. They're a few months old now. Probably won't be into the eggs until the end of summer. They're actually charming little creatures. This brown one is quite pretty. It's an Ameraucauna breed, I named her Coffee. She looks like a raptor. More pet than livestock. Won't keep me away from KFC, though! (that fat white bird in the background is a stuffed owl to scare off the squirrels)

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That brown bird has got attitude!
    T

25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a whole lotta charcoal!! I thought I was bad buying three bags at a time! :)

My neighbor has chickens and I keep thinking about getting a few. I know he has problems with raccoons and probably rats and other rodents. I don't mind his chickens until one of the roosters shows up under my open bedroom window at O'dark thirty crowing away.