2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 21 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  2. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    British media has their head so far up Hamilton's ass

3. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Depends on the forum. The Brits would defend it till the day he died. Hamilton was the instigator and brake checked, his plan was to either DNF VET or flat spot tires. In essence it's like a school yard fught.. Hamilton got punched in the face for egging it on. After he went and cried to his parents and got the other kid in trouble as if he did nothing wrong.
    I love the fight in Vettle!! Put that cry baby in check

4. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris

Nailed it

5. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    The German media is worse.

6. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    That makes no sense.

Hamilton could have just as easily DNF'd by intentionally trying to get Seb to run into him, and F1 tires would not be significantly "flat spotted" from 50km/h... basic physics says so.

If Vettel has been just slightly off with that idiotic move his car could have jumped in the air and come down on top of Hamilton. A couple hundred pounds of F1 car landing on one's head could very easily mean death.
    No laughing matter.

7. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That surprises me

8. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It just about happened. Ham is lucky his rear suspension wasn't​ damaged. And, yes, I defend what I said about his intentions.
    Vet could have easily gone wide to avoid contact and end up with a DNF. no car going 35-40 mph is going to end up on top of the other.
    The lap before Ham was complaining about how slow the safety car was going... So okay let's just stop mid corner .. there was intent behind it and I believe that intent was to alter Vet

Edit spelling

9. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Yes, Seb has been losing his cool for some time now. His actions and choice of words are not becoming of a four-time champion. We saw it a lot last year. I like Seb, I really do, but his on-track behavior has been disappointing....

Hamilton....that's a whole other can of worms. I like him too, a passionate driver, but he pegs the whiney-meter far too much.

When MSC displayed antics far worse than today's was there this much outrage?

Either way, the race was fun to watch.

Lastly, congrats to Mag and the Haas F1 Team. I'll be in Spielberg cheering them on...

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I only hope the FIA lets him keep the points to this race and he doesn't get a grid penalty for the next race.

Hamilton is raising a stink it wasn't enough.

Well... of course he would say that

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The ITALIAN media is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more worse! :)

I am guessing they are blasting Vettel today for losing the race with a stupid prank.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #512 TheMayor, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    This will surprise the heck out of some people being that I'm not Hammy's biggest fan but I think he's totally in the right. Apparently, according to reports, telemetry is showing Hamilton didn't brake. He did slow down but he was probably trying to create a gap to the safety car as he was complaining that it was too slow. What Vettel did was completely out of line. He should have been DQed. You never do that for any reason. If LH were to slug him he'd deserve it.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... NO!

But the rest of what you wrote is correct.

15. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    100% agree on you. Seb did a fantastic job on making up grird positions. On the other hand could of handed that incident better. If he didn't do what he did he wouldn't of gotten that stop and go 10 secs penalty. There would be no outrage over it. He would of likely won cause of Ham's headrest being not attached properly. I am far disappointed with him doing that.

He should be getting a anger managament to stop the later outrages. Cause if he does one more in that 12 month timeframe he's petty much may lose the wdc with that race ban. So he should be way more careful for what he's going to do from now on.

As for Ham well I don't like he is doing on the track antics. That for sure his radio message wasn't very nice in my opinion.

MSC antics is less outrage cause of timing like in the 1990- early 2000s. There was less viewers and the internet was just getting popular but not that widespread like it is today so there is less viewers overall in his time. And I think tech and ruling changes are what the key differences are in my opinion that makes it so that we can see it more clearly. In my opinion.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, at least we AMERICANS can keep our cool under pressure in sports!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBr8XHPdDXQ[/ame]

17. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    +1

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    IIRC, that was the last corner befor full throttle. That would lend credence to perhaps Seb wanting to be right on top of Ham's moves and expected him to go full throttle (which he obviously didn't). His behavior after that is something I've not seen going back to the days of Prost/Senna. His refusal to acknowledge what he had done post-race was annoying.

Backing the field up the way Ham did has been going on for quite a while...Schu was the most aggressive at it as a race leader obviously doesn't want to relinquish his position by allowing someone to get a tow for the pass.

Like many, I was surprised Seb only got a 10-sec penalty...

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    +1

If it is true as reported that the FIA have looked at the telemetry from Lewis,which they would have to do before handing out any penalty points,then it does seem like Lewis only lifted off slightly,not fully,and did not brake at all,Seb was too close behind him,and was slow to react and just ran into the back of Lewis.

What happened after that was plain for the whole world to see,the only person who can't accept that he actually turned the wheel to run into Lewis is Vettel,even now as far as i know he is denying that he did anything wrong!

Vettel should have been disqualified from the results.he was very lucky to just get a slap on the wrist and (another) 3 points.

P.S i was once on the receiving end of such idiotic behaviour i ended up spinning down the pit straight on the wet grass for 100 + metres ,luckily coming to a stop a couple of metres from a concrete overpass.We were both called into the stewards who had a birds eye view, and he ended up with a fine and suspended ban (F3).

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #520 DeSoto, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    And now for something completely different, maybe it's time for a change in the re-launch after safety car regulations. In theory, the leading driver can't drive erratically, etc, but we all can see that they always try to fool the followers by driving erratically, but just not "too much". How much erratically is too much erratically? Actually I'm surprised that they don't crash more often.

With all the stuff they have today, like the VSC minisectors, GPS data, telemetry, etc... maybe they could force them to drive at a minimum speed.

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    We have a winner.

This is the real problem. The SC restart rules are clearly broken. If they had been forced to run within 10 or even 20 car lengths of the SC at the point of restart, then none of this would have happened. At least next year they will have a full grid restart for red flags.

Ham and Vet need to let the dust settle, have a beer together and move on. The incident was ugly all round and both of them need to learn from it.

22. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He did it a dozen times over the last three years against Nico, Christ, he punted him into the long grass in Spain!

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Though I don't think his intentions where to flat spot or DNF Vettel, it was to get a quick launch when Vettel was on the brakes still. As Daytona said...this has been going on for years in Hamilton's case, but Vettel had to be on the back simply because he had to be close for the restart.

Thanks for liking it to the school yard fight...I tried to say exactly the same thing! You're 100% correct. Hamilton is the little snot bullying a kid trying to get him to snap, then when he gets a slap he goes crying to the teacher playing innocent.

---

As for the FIA telemetry, not the first time they've been on Elton's side and absolving him of any wrong doing! I remember you all of last year when we had an FIA steward actively rallying to give Verstappen an unjustified penalty simply so that Hamilton would finish ahead, because the Steward is an Elton fan!