2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 23 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    We know the stewards are generally more 'relaxed' this year and i agree that is a good idea to let 'racing incidents' happen and move on without penalties.

However this was something else altogether,stamping of feet and dummy spat out,followed by the toys.

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Lol! I'm from Brooklyn, what can I say?

3. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This is being blown completely out of proportion by over emotional conspiracy theorists! Vet hit Ham. No debate. Did he mean to do it? No. He just clowned and got too close and made contact at the equivalent of walking pace. The punishment was fair.

Same with Ham. Did he mean to cause Vet to crash into the back of him thereby risking being put out of the race? No. He just misjudged closing pace - as did Vet in return. No punishment required.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The FIA disagree.They say Vettel steered his car into Hamilton.

Didn't mean to do it ? LOLOL

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 neither of these ego maniacs are saints either. None of them. Time to move on. Tempest in a teapot in the larger scheme.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Indeed

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Am I the only one that's starting to think maybe verstappens aggressive driving is causing some of his failures? He seems to be very quick but doesn't have the longevity. It could just be crap luck but maybe he's too hard on the cars.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Assault. Man up. It's a walking pace slap. Watch a game of rugby for christ sakes, scuffles happen and they sort it out also. How many times have I seen guys getting into a little fight and it to be broken up by the ref without any penalties, it's almost every single game. Or do you need a safe space?

Vettel would've finished 5th with Hamilton winning if it wasn't for the headrest. No where in the rules does it state or could it state ''the man who received a penalty should finish behind the man he hit''. Your grievance should be with the man that failed to attach the headrest properly, unless you think Vettel did that too :rolleyes:

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    FIA sound like a bunch of morons, claiming Ham didn't brake test Vettel because he was doing the same (dumb) thing the lap(s) previous. Except this lap was before a restart, so obviously Vettel would be closer. In fact, Force India radio was telling Perez to get even closer to Vettel!

And even though it was a bone-head move by Vettel, let's face it, it wasn't dangerous, he wasn't trying to NASCAR-style turn Ham around or damage his car - he was giving him a shove, like after a rough tackle in football. They were at crawling speed, relatively speaking, and nothing like Bottas brainlessly smashing into Kimi at racing speed. Like Ham said "we're the best drivers" so not a car control problem for either.

Vettel followed this dumb move up with another in trying to "talk it out" with Ham, only for Ham to feign the victim stance, turning him down and gaining the upper hand in playing the sportsman. Vettel hit him, took the punishment (he lost the race because of it) so shut up, play tough guy and move on.

BTW, Ham comment that he's going to let his driving do the talking - how did that work out for him yesterday? Couldn't catch Vettel with a car capable of 1+ sec gap in qualifying and asking the team to sacrifice Bottas for his benefit - not good, I would say. :)

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I know racers who raced years in lower class open wheel formula cars. They would straight on bump competitor wheel to wheel, without consequence to either car.

12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Funny enough...if it suit the Hamilton fans the FIA is right and if it does not they are morons...
    Replace FIA with Lauda in the sentence above and it is still right ;)

Now Hamilton and his fans have a moment of ""moral superiority"...enjoy it for the 15 seconds it lasts...Hamilton telling people how to behave as a multiple WDC...what is next? A lecture by politicians about honesty???

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  14. DF1

+1 - entitled much LH? As if had any reason to pull over for you at all LOL. Lauda and Toto are not perfect but are not about to let that happen. The little ballerina earns his title again LOL

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but would Vettel have won the race if he didn't have to stop for the 10 second penalty?

Vettel had the race gifted to him when Lewis's headrest came lose.... Shouldn't the story be how Vettle lost a win for Ferrari because he lost his temper?

16. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    He's looking at the bigger picture in retrospect.

SV's move was neither bigger picture mind games, nor comedy.
    It was an impulsive, petulant fit.

Agreed on the subsequent comments.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes to all

Ferrari fans should be outraged at Vettel

18. DF1

Its more about how does he feel about himself and his respect to the team that powers him. Be interesting to hear his thoughts in 2 weeks.

19. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

Furthermore the driver directly behind the safety car controls the restart, once the safety car has indicated they are pulling in, the lead driver can slow the pack behind as much as they wish, its the best way to get the jump on restart. Vettel's responsibility to stay far enough away...end of story.

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #570 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Vettel,in addition to the usual simulator practice,will be undertaking additional training to enable him to continue his fight for the WDC.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Controlling the pace does not permit erratic driving, which is what a brake test would be, if there were one.

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why? Do you think he needs practice to get on the same level as Lewis in playing bumper car....;)

If the FIA would have balls they would give both Lewis and Seb a weekend off to think about their driving. By that they would show that they do not tollerate those games by even giving a penalty to the top dogs...and giving both they would not even interfere in the WDC....
    It looks like the cars are "too safe" and the drivers do not think about the consequences anymore.

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely.

Bet Seb is quaking in his boots after Elton's press statement though, NOT, I know if elton threatened me with a fist fight, I'd laugh in his face. In fact, I'd let him use some of his karate on me for a bit while I loosened my cuffs in case I ripped my short punching the fool - and I can barely stand up with this cancer, but I'd still duff him up

Uh oh though, better not slap him down, the police might get called by a few on here, and it'd be treated as grevious bodily harm or something

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes. Sadly Vettel has this nasty streak in him and then when called on the carpet ... does not understand why... Senna, and Schumacher had the same thing... I think that is the sad fact of some of our WDC's... I want Vettel and Ferrari to win... but to do it honorably...

Vettel threw away a certain win...

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What he said