2004 360 check engine light with slow down | FerrariChat

2004 360 check engine light with slow down

Discussion in '360/430' started by cpoferrari, Jul 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    just took delivery of the car drove it down the shore for two hours on Friday. Used it yesterday to go down the street. The check engine light went on and message to slow down and see dealer. I was told by dealer to try shutting down and restart a few times. Thoughts? It was heavy traffic on the way down. Safe to drive home?

thx

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the color of the lights are both amber it's probably just your cats overheating. Bad sensor, or a whole bunch of more serious issues that cause the cats to overheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    My SlowDown light came on only at startup or restart and then disappeared after a minute. I have Cat Bypass pipes with O2 extenders so initially we thought it might be related to that. Then we tried swapping ECU's, then replacing each ECU one at a time with a new one. Finally the problem went away by replacing both ECU's. No CEL's anymore as well.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So your car could potentially have a cat overheat situation and your dealer tells you to "try shutting down and restart a few times"? Why not get an OBD2 code reader and plug it into the car under the steering wheel and see what it says? Then post it here. You can also borrow them at the store as well.

It's probably a vesicovini box (cat temp ecu) that has gone bad, but it's always nice to know what the car thinks is wrong.

5. photi

photi Rookie

Dec 10, 2013
    Nassau County LI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is the car on a battery tender?

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    As Curt said, could be a slow down ecu. Could also be a few other things. I'm afraid the vendor is looking to give you a diagnosis that isn't a cure. Take it back and get them to fix it. Let us know the outcome!

7. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    where do I get an OBD2 code reader?

8. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    no just got it

9. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    spoke to a Ferrari mechanic who said 99 % of the time it's the light not the CAT. Unfortunately I'm two hours from home. He said its safe to drive it home.

10. photi

photi Rookie

Dec 10, 2013
    Nassau County LI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I got a check engine and slow down warning as you describe as well as a few other gremlins when I first got my car 2 years ago. I disconnected the battery, reset(see the posts about that), and then started using a tender. No more issues. It may not fix your problem but it is a cheap and easy way to start.