FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2017: RACE DAY *** SPOILERS *** | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2017: RACE DAY *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's not here or there. It's not up to a driver to report someone else fault.

That's why we have observers, stewards and race manager.

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Vettel needs some PR coaching.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yes Bas I know but in this case sometimes I thinks its best just to keep your mouth shut and

do what your told. Then the other one telling Charlie what he thinks about Vettels served

penalty. I mean is all that debate during an F1 race really necessary with regards to this

drama. Have the discussion afterwards.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Why? If you catch someone cheating (or at least have a reasonable suspicion, and to be fair, we needed frame by frame to see if this was cheating or not!), it's a simple request, that's it.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Vettel should have left that to his team, IMO.

It's not like if he was an angel himself, isn't it?

F1 is just becoming increasingly childish.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You lot where droning on about needing to concentrate on the race earlier, that commenting on the radio is distracting. It's a 3 second push on the radio. I don't see it. Sorry.

This sort of stuff has been happening since F1 drivers carried radios. Before that, these things where also talked about aplenty, just after the race as they couldn't joly well pull over and have a chat about it.

Only because more and more gets broadcasted these days and we hear it.

7. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    As usual ricciardo impresses. He's just consistent day after day.

8. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's good that he was asking about it because it would have had a big effect on his "own damn race" if Bottas got a penalty. No point in pushing hard and chewing up his tires if the car ahead was going to be giving up the lead in a few laps.

9. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    He doesn't seem to have the qualifying pace of Max lately but he's one hell of a racer.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In motor racing, you just don't "snitch" on somebody else !!

You race, and you mind your own business; that's all.

It's up to team principals to file a complaint if they are not happy with something, or to the stewards or marshals to report irregularities to the race director.

Jumping on the radio immediately after the start and say "So and so jumped the start!!!" shows pretty childish mentality, IMO.

11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    so technically its a jump start but a legal jump start within the tolerance

what next? tolerance on pit lane speed? lol

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Meh... you run your own race. You don't run a mental one.

He's not concentrating. While he's worried or hoping, he's losing time to Bottas. If he lost a second worrying about this it was enough to lose the race today.

13. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Motorsport.com:
    "I think Kimi has got to show a higher level of commitment to the process," Marchionne was quoted as saying by Reuters before the start of the Austrian Grand Prix, where Vettel was second and the Finn finished 20 seconds behind in fifth.

"There are days when I think he's a bit of a laggard, but we'll see," the Italian added

Asked about Marchionne's comments, the 2007 world champion insisted he is trying as hard as possible to get his season back on track.

"Obviously I want to do well," Raikkonen said. "My team wants to do well, and I can only do the best that I can. It's not like I'm not trying.

"Unfortunately it's not been very straightforward sometimes, but that's part of the plan and we keep pushing and I'm sure things will work out better."

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Bob, multi-tasking , some can do it and some can't ...... I'm in the some can't basket :(

Michael, Senna, Prost, Alonso and maybe a few others can multi-task ............ I thought only women could do that :)

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    How is it that RICs car is pretty darned reliable compared to Max's car? Driving style? Good luck vs. bad luck?

16. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    He's not concentrating? Thinking about race strategy while driving fast is some sort of rare talent? You don't run your race in a vacuum. What happens to your competetors affects what you do.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!!

Race strategy is not complaining to your crew about your what your competitor is doing. It's getting YOUR job done.

His team should have told him "STFU and drive faster. We'll take care of whatever Bottas did and get back to you".

Vettel lost by 1 second. That second could very well have been wondering for 20 laps if Bottas blew the start.

18. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL you need to watch the race again. Vettel informed his team that Bottas jumped the start and then followed up with one other transmission basically asking if there was a penalty coming. It's laughable that anyone would imagine something so simple would affect an F1 driver's ability to drive. No need to project our own driving limitations on others...

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, I am a rather funny guy! :)

I just think he needs to stop worrying about the other guy (as he did in Baku) and start to concentrate on winning.

I said the same thing about Grojean and his brakes. OK, you don't like the brakes. Just get on with what you have, do the best you can, and complain about them after the race!

20. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree about Baku. Bonehead move on his part. And yes, you're a funny guy :)

21. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    hamilton is depressed? hamilton is gone? hamilton is losing out to bottas? seriously?

hamilton will win his home race this weekend and once again being called the senna reborn and hype by media on his way to his 4th WDC while bottas nobody will a damn

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The BBC thinks so...

'Contradictory, puzzling and infuriating: Why Lewis Hamilton is so compelling' - BBC Sport

Lewis Hamilton was pretty down after the Austrian Grand Prix, which was understandable seeing as he had just seen his championship deficit to Sebastian Vettel stretch to 20 points.

The Mercedes driver was fairly monosyllabic in his television interviews. A pep talk from team boss Toto Wolff followed, the Austrian telling him he should see his fourth place as "12 points won rather than lost".

But, while he was more open and expansive with the written media shortly afterwards, the general negative tone continued.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Vettel did not lose the race because of any shortcomings on his part - the Merc was faster and controlling the pace :confused:

25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO, the way winning drivers drive is a combination of sheer balls, muscle memory and innate instinct. If you have to think about it you won't respond fast enough. They may describe their actions later but most of the time they don't really consciously think about them when they are performing the maneuvers unless they are very slow ones or ones with a long lead-up. Most are split second decisions and actions.

A successful display of multitasking is an indication of how good a driver he is. Some of the journos like Chris Harris, Steve Sutcliffe... etc also do that very well, while driving fast enough to film their test drives.

FWIW, drivers are also expected to carry on 2-ways conversations about the condition of their cars, relay descriptions of problems to their teams. Conversing is A LOT MORE DIFFICULT than just commenting on an observation about other drivers.