Lucas "Racing and Competition" distributor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lucas "Racing and Competition" distributor

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by JaguarMike, Apr 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    or buy it as a spare. keep on shelf til needed.
    ed

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

In case anybody is interested, I have found a source for the caps and rotors that appears to have them "on the shelf".

4. EGH4

EGH4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017
    Indiana, USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Howe
    #30 EGH4, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    My 1959 PF ser 1 1391GT has Lucus distributors

6. EGH4

EGH4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017
    Indiana, USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Howe
    The owner of this one says it came off PF. Does the build sheets show these as well?

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    According to Brian Browns (likely experienced) observation & statement from '06 probably not, due to incorrect rotation.

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: The distributor drives are different for these units compared to the Marelli's. So the rotation maybe correct. I have been around 1475, a Series 1 Cabriolet with these units, but it was too many years ago.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for the clarification, Dyke, but I was just going by Brians statement, which I believe to be based on fair amount of experience in all things Ferrari mechanicals, including vintage.

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: I just checked some photos of both 1475 and a standard Marelli setup. I am correct, the distributors drive off the OUTSIDE of the cams on the Marelli and off the INSIDE of the cams on the Lucas. So the reverse rotation is correct for the Lucas units.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

As I recall my E-bay bid of $3500.00 for this distributor at the last few seconds was sniped by Tom S. So I guess I'm not the only one who knows how scarce these are.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It makes sense that Ferrari used a Lucas racing distributor that was an off the shelf item and made special drives to adapt it to their motors. They did the same thing with the limited number of V12's that had Bosch ignition distributors (same as Mercedes Benz 300SL).

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    What would be the reason that Ferrari would opt for Lucas and Bosch distributors, diversity of suppliers, cost savings, a Marelli factory strike? Being a single-point, I can imagine the Lucas would bring a compromise to engine performance.

john

14. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: It is common for suppliers to send "samples" to manufacturer's to get them to try the product in hopes of securing a permanent order. This is what both Lucas and Bosch were doing. It is possible that Ferrari actually did solicit new vendors, in looking for cost savings. Ferrari was a "shoe string" operation, always looking to save money on it's street car program. So the factory simply used the "samples" to save money. I remember my friend who worked for Motorola in the 1970s telling me he sent Ferrari some Motorola CD units as a sample to see if the factory had any interest in using their product. He never heard a response until he got a call from Chinetti asking about a Daytona in their shop that had Motorola CD's installed! The factory had taken the "free" parts and stuck them on the next car down the assembly line.

John Vardanian likes this.
  15. EGH4

EGH4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017
    Indiana, USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Howe
    Agreed. They were offered these for little or nothing and they used them. Looks like the earliest car was recorded in this thread at #1391, the latest record I have seen is #1545. If anyone has chassis numbers for cars that have these Lucas distributors please share and get them recorded.

16. EGH4

EGH4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017
    Indiana, USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Howe
    Also adding:
    If someone knows of a car that had these originally and is owner working to complete a restoration project that needs a distributor the owner would prefer to see this go to a car's completion.

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Dyke, a good chuckle that Motorola story.

john

18. AEX31

AEX31 Rookie

May 8, 2008
    Sweden
    I’m looking for a (or two) cap for for these distributors. If anybody has one, or know about any for sale I would be very grateful to know about that.

Kind regards

Jonas

19. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
  20. AEX31

AEX31 Rookie

May 8, 2008
    Sweden
    Thank you,

I have tried them but they haven’t any more unfortunately.

Regards Jonas