No More 2+2's? Ferrari to Replace Lusso with SUV. | FerrariChat

No More 2+2's? Ferrari to Replace Lusso with SUV.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by G. Pepper, Jul 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  2. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I hope not , it's going to dilute the brand . If Enzo Ferrari was alive , I'm sure he won't allow it .

3. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #3 G. Pepper, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I hope this doesn't happen. I made several very loud proclamations to friends that Ferrari would never build an SUV.

I don't want to find out what seasoning makes crow taste good.

5. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't understand what everyone gets worked up about. Is anyone saying that Ferrari should NOT act in it's own corporate self interests?

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It had better look better than that, otherwise the Lamborghini SUV will annihilate it in sales, horrible wheels

7. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #7 G. Pepper, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wouldn't care at all if Ferrari was just going to broaden their lineup - I'd like to see the return of the Dino brand too - it's that they are going to replace the two-door 2+2's with a four-door crossover. 2+2 Ferrari's have been my favorites since the 365GTC/4 2+2 that was sold alongside the Daytona (I didn't care for the 400/412 though).

I like that 2+2's only have two doors.

This, IMO, would be terrible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do we really need more topics on this?

And why would they get rid of the GTC4Lusso, a tremendous success vs this. The car will either never happen or be an addition, not a replacement.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. Ferrari chat members need more than one thread.

They need to discuss which is the best bridge to jump off of for maximum effect. :)

Golden Gate?
    George Washington?

The debate goes on!

10. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #10 petearron, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    There you are in your 488 thinking you are cool in your exotic car, model in the passenger seat at a traffic light. Mrs rich soccer mom pulls up to you in her Ferrari SUV 4 screaming brats in her seats ice cream all over there faces and windows. Kinda wrecks the special cool image Enzo wanted for Ferrari. Good decision Ferrari, The new Ferrari minivan lol.

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I did not see the previous post, and I looked. And once it was back on the first page, I noted he was not concerned about the disappearance of the 2+2, which is my main concern. All models come to an end, so will the Lusso. I hope you're right and it is an addition to the line, but that's not how it was presented in the article I read. It said specifically it would replace the Lusso. Perhaps only the V8 Lusso if we're lucky, and then they could make a new V12 2+2.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Baluarte Bridge

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've always admired 2+2 Ferraris, despite the fact that investors & collectors hate them. In particular, the 365 GT 2+2, 365 GTC/4, 456 (prettiest), and the 612.

After owning a 328 and 512 BBi, I decided to acquire the 612 HGTS model. It can blow doors off my previous 2-seat Ferraris and is far more practical and reliable.

Looking at the SUV concepts above, I would not feel too good about seeing them on the track. Heck, maybe we can have a challenge series for them - now wouldn't that be entertaining to watch. ;)

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They do not need an SUV. They can make 2 door sports cars only ans make all the money they want. The perception of an SUV being necessary to Ferrari is a most fraudulent claim. ALL they need to do is focus on the industry they essentially started and sell sports cars to the wealthy.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And which angle to jump then? Straight as an arrow for maximum depth? Flat on your back to break it and then drown?

Fair enough.

All models do come to an end, but that's not to say they won't be replaced by an equivalent model. The 456 was replaced by the 612, the 612 by the FF, the FF updated to the Lusso...I think especially with the FF onwards they got it so right, owners LOVE them and the word spreads quickly. IMO most FF owners won't get the proposed SUV, since it's not a car they want...they want a fast 2+2 that still is a proper GT/supercar in it's own right. An SUV can NEVER do the driving an FF offers, I know this, you know this, Ferrari knows this. The Lusso will be replaced inevitably by an equivalent car, not an SUV. That'll be (IF it comes) a model in it's own right.

16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, I'm selling my 456M in September to get an FF. I had such a good year, I don't even need to sell the 456 except to get a space in my garage. The 456 money will go to restoring my 308 GTSi. I'm looking forward to next year!

Cheers,

George

17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mike, I think it would be fair to say that we do hope that Ferrari pursues its own corporate interests.

Just NOT at the expense of the brand's identity and essence.

I firmly believe you CAN adapt yourself to a new era, without being forced to sell your soul.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. I don't understand why their reason is to make money when they are denying people throwing money at them to build more LaF Apertas. Just build more cars they already make since the demand is still there. There is no more R&D cost that an SUV would require.

19. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    they're not going to stop selling LaF Apertas! They'll still make all the money from them PLUS whatever they make from the SUV. I think Sergio knows more than most (not all) F-chatters how to drive shareholder value.

I too admire Ferrari's history of 2+2s. I love them. SUVs didn't exist 50 years ago. True Luxury SUVs really only emerged within the last 10 years. (Go look at the first generation Escalade?) Why shouldn't they bring a product to market for that segment if they can sell it? Is anyone really not going to buy a 488 because of a totally separate product? They will lose close to zero sales of 488s and 812s because of this but gain thousands of SUV sales in addition...

Ferrari has increased units sold consistently over a long period of time. I think it's better to ship a new product for a different purpose/segment than to produce thousands more 488s and LaFs to the point where THOSE cars lose their exclusivity.

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Fair enough point but what is the point of making 4000-5000 SUV's a year? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me from a development and tooling cost point of view. In my opinion as soon as a sports car company starts selling something other than sports cars the entire concept of exclusivity and brand is eroded.

21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ugh, I don't like this either, but as the article states, Ferrari is pretty much the only luxury/exotic maker without and SUV. Surely, that has a lot to do with it?

I still shudder at the idea, mind you...

22. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

This ^^

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    McLaren aren't making an SUV.

When it comes down to it
    Lamborghini SUV
    Audi Q7
    Porsche Cayenne
    Bentayga

These are all the SAME thing fundamentally. Its putting a different dress on what is the same thing. Same thing, different trim, different body, same engines. Brilliant from a part sharing exercise but seeing a Ferrari don't need this an SUV would either need to be based on what I find to be the horrid Maserati SUV which itself is based on a Jeep.

Perhaps Bill Harrah called it 40 odd years ago with the Jerrari....wonder what odds you would have got in 1967 if you had placed a bet on Ferrari ever building an SUV!

24. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012

The VW Atlas should also be on that list. The Bentayga truly is a "VW with a new dress".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They're not going to stop making Apertas? Did something change and they are no longer limited to 200 or something? They should make as many as people want to order and not a single one more to sit unsold. The factory has a finite amount of resources so if they plan to build SUVs, they will obviously have to expand the production line and obtain more resources. They can instead use that for their other cars that already sell above MSRP (hypercars, Spiders, etc) immediately but for now they want to maintain exclusivity...an SUV would go against that concept.