Woman killed in Ferrari crash on Victorian road | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Woman killed in Ferrari crash on Victorian road

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PSk, Jul 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Turn into the understeer. Your slip angle will decrease, and you gain traction again very quickly.

2. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    VIC country roads have an 80kmh or 100kmh limit, either speed is enough to start sliding in a tight bend, especially if you hit a damp patch, piece of bark, gravel, etc

Most fatalities in Aus are single vehicle accidents, where the car hits a tree rather than another car. The issues that cause them to leave the road include fatigue or a sudden loss of grip. Rarely is speed the sole factor. We need better driver training.

Ferraris are prone to another problem - aged tyres. Low mileage cars are driven on 10+ year old tyres that have plenty of tread but no grip. Just walk around any gathering of FCA cars and check the date codes - it's scary.

knocker likes this.
  3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Local paper today talking about 21 deaths over the past 2 weeks of school holidays using the same old 'speed and alcohol contributed to many' line BUT further down, it stated 5 of the incidents were shown to involve excess speed... So the majority were for other reasons (not stated). Frankly I think I attention would be the number one factor these days.

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #29 moretti, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Poor driving is the number ONE reason, I see it EVERY day .

A cop tapped on my window at the lights to inform me he had to do 80 kph to catch up to me in a 70 zone ..... he was like 50 metres behind me so big deal, he sped up to 80 in a 70 zone to catch me and use the "power" he has to straighten me out :rolleyes:

I thanked him and said to watch out for the traffic he had to negotiate back to his car , then rolled the window back up and called him a **** ................... then within 30 secs some clown roars past weaving in and out of the traffic with not so much as a siren tweet or light flash :rolleyes:

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I want to hear from Ian! Thanks anyway.

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Don't look at mine!

7. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Front wheel drive, or rear wheel drive?

8. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Looking for any relevant evidence, eg drugs etc. Routine to search the car thoroughly before it is taken away. If it was a commodore they would have been looking through everything in the glovebox too.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm still waiting for Ian to answer

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #35 IanB, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gizzi nailed it, what more can I add?

When I started with the Lola, it had a spool diff, which means no differential at all. All that car did was understeer...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yeah....well, you said the mistake people make when they're understeering is that they hit the brakes making it worse....I'm not too sure about that in this case.....weight transfer to the front....ABS....makes a big difference.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Please explain what you mean with "turn into the understeer"?

If you mean adding more lock, then I'm confused because your front tyres are already not gripping and adding more lock will not cause them to regain grip. I assume you mean, reduce your steering lock ...

Words, God they suck.

Ian,

The problem with the Police and most drivers is they think of speeding as going faster than the speed limit. Speeding is not that, it is driving faster than the road, driver or conditions can handle. Therefore I suggesting speed was a factor here because the driver took a corner too fast for the car (in it's current condition) and the driver. Was the driver breaking the law in regards to the speed limit ... who cares?, other than the narrow minded Police.

Yes absolutely you are right, driver training is very lacking.
    Pete

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    ^^^^ this! Drive to the conditions (which is what most Europeans seem able to do).

However I don't think we should be speculating about what the driver did/ didn't do - for all we know they might have swerved for a kangaroo/ cyclist/ someone or thing else obstructing their path?

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    you momentarily straighten your steering wheel Pete. In effect, you turn in the direction the car is sliding.

The front tyres instantly regain grip, then you turn into the corner again.

On unfamiliar windy roads, it's a good idea to turn in to a left hand corner a bit early, to give yourself extra room for recovery. Right hand corners you don't have to worry about oncoming vehicles.

15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    No, because tyre grip decreases exponentially with slip angle. Once understeer starts, you can't generate any more grip from the tyre.

You can brake hard while turning with ABS, but only before the slide starts.

16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #41 IanB, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I agree, I'm just making the point that the driver wasn't necessarily speeding.

btw a German driving license includes training in car control. Not sure about other EU countries.

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oh well, I don't agree. Anyway, from what I've seen with 360s, oversteer is more likely.

19. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Next time there's a driver training day, go to the skid pan and drive faster and faster around the circle. Try turning in harder to induce understeer, and then straighten a little, and you'll feel it grip up again.

20. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'll have the red tyre.

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oh FFS

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Is it just me or does it look like they not only ripped the door off the Ferrari to gain entry, but it appears that the removed the entire dashboard??

Second photo posted above...

S

23. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    You're right. That's what I should have said.

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, now you're just being a DH.

Forget what happens on a race track or skid pan...what happens on the road? You're going too fast into a TIGHT corner with a 360 and you get understeer....what happens when you lift off? You get weight transfer to the front and therefore the tyres grip and you get more turn in. If that happens too fast, you end up with oversteer due to increased turn in and lighter rear end. Add ABS and braking into the mix and that oversteer situation gets even worse. Have any of you guys actually TRIED this or are you just theorising? I've done it....I do it....it's what happens.

25. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Now that you drive a Porsche, how would you know what understeer is?